Graphics
GTX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey coming from windows world I might had clicked one time to much.
When being prompted to install BridgeHelper 5.0 I just clicked continue thinking that after the installation I start the BridgeHelper application and point it do my USB drive.
But I guess I'm wrong and the actual installation should point to the USB drive :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Do I need to undo something since I hit the install for BridgeHelper 5.0 when pointing to the MacHD instead of the USB drive?

I didn't do a reboot so far.
There is nothing else I can do besides the reinstall?

Look like if have to face the music, I never installed MacOS I is there a way to do a repair installation ala windows?
What happens to the files which are on the iMac right now will they all be deleted during the installation?

homers said:
Look like if have to face the music, I never installed MacOS I is there a way to do a repair installation ala windows?
What happens to the files which are on the iMac right now will they all be deleted during the installation?
Do you not have a backup of any kind? Not even a TimeMachine backup?

Not that I know of and to make matters worse it's not even my machine :oops:
The drive and everything is fine besides I got looked out and now I only see the spinning rainbow wheel.
I read some article in the web about the archive and install procedure but maybe there is a different way to just replace the files which where overwritten by by bridgehelper with the correct ones?!

Not that I know of and to make matters worse it's not even my machine
You're not screwed. You're *royally* screwed.

Last ditch effort, you can try booting from the original 10.5 DVD, or download an Apple 10.5 update and rerun it. -- no guarantees.

homers said:
Hey coming from windows world I might had clicked one time to much.
When being prompted to install BridgeHelper 5.0 I just clicked continue thinking that after the installation I start the BridgeHelper application and point it do my USB drive.
But I guess I'm wrong and the actual installation should point to the USB drive :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Do I need to undo something since I hit the install for BridgeHelper 5.0 when pointing to the MacHD instead of the USB drive?

Before you do anything you should save the current system off to an external drive. The external drive should be formatted HPFS (if not you need to do that first). Then use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone the internal drive to the external drive. This saves the owners data.

How best to recover can be discussed. You should step back and think things through. The best advice can be totally wrong if all of the facts are not known. After you have made the backup to the external drive you are in a much better position to try things.

neil

Ok so my next steps are

1) getting a external drive
2) Boot with 10.5 install CD go do disk utility and format the external drive to HPFS
3) Backup the iMac drive using one of the mentioned tools
3a) I guess CarbonCopy or SuperDuper are bootable applications/cd which don't need a working MacOS, right?

I am a complete n00b and while I targeted my USB the first time, I was having problems with my build and not paying attention and did this the 2nd time I was trying to re-install everything on the USB.

I haven't rebooted yet, but yeah - it might be a good idea to put a giant WARNING in the installer process.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back