Contribute
Register

[BRICKED] Yosemite setup trying to install Catalina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone!

I've been trying for two days now, I'm stuck and need your help. I apologize if this issue has been dealt with elsewhere, in which case please do point me to that thread.

So we were running a Yosemite build, all was good basically, just that a few apps weren't supported so I wanted to upgrade to Catalina.

I didn't get too far though: all I managed to do was update Clover and now I can't get it to boot up properly. During startup, I get a few error messages regarding Clover, but I wouldn't know where to even start trying to fix those (fig. 1):

0:113 0:000 There are problems in plist ‘\EFI\CLOVER\config.plist’ 0:113 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/ACPI/DSDT/DropOEM_DSM:11’. Skipped. 0:113 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/ACPI/DSDT/NewWay_80000000:55’. Skipped. 0:114 0:000 Warning: String cannot be empty for tag ‘/Boot/DefaultVolume:84’. 0:114 0:000 Error: Language ‘:0’ ist unknown at line 150. Ignored. 0:114 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/GUI/Mouse/DoubleClick:155’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/AsusAICPUPM:201’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:205’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelHaswellE:207’. Skipped. 0:116 0:000 Error: Expecting an integer between -32768 and 32767 for tag ‘/SystemParameters/BacklightLevel:257’. 0:116 0:000 Warning: invalid CustomUUID ‘’ - should be in the format XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX in dict ‘/SystemParameters/CustomUUID: 258’ 0:117 0:000 Use CloverConfigPlistValidator or look in the log

I then followed these instructions in an attempt to install Catalina, but the system won't boot from the bootable USB I created (fig. 2):

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Bood Media in selected Bood device an press a key_

Would be very grateful for any hints, ideas, help. If you need any more details, I'm happy to provide them.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• fig1.jpg
    fig1.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 71
  • fig2.jpg
    fig2.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 66
Hello everyone!

I've been trying for two days now, I'm stuck and need your help. I apologize if this issue has been dealt with elsewhere, in which case please do point me to that thread.

So we were running a Yosemite build, all was good basically, just that a few apps weren't supported so I wanted to upgrade to Catalina.

I didn't get too far though: all I managed to do was update Clover and now I can't get it to boot up properly. During startup, I get a few error messages regarding Clover, but I wouldn't know where to even start trying to fix those (fig. 1):

0:113 0:000 There are problems in plist ‘\EFI\CLOVER\config.plist’ 0:113 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/ACPI/DSDT/DropOEM_DSM:11’. Skipped. 0:113 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/ACPI/DSDT/NewWay_80000000:55’. Skipped. 0:114 0:000 Warning: String cannot be empty for tag ‘/Boot/DefaultVolume:84’. 0:114 0:000 Error: Language ‘:0’ ist unknown at line 150. Ignored. 0:114 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/GUI/Mouse/DoubleClick:155’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/AsusAICPUPM:201’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelCpu:205’. Skipped. 0:115 0:000 Warning: Unknown key ‘/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelHaswellE:207’. Skipped. 0:116 0:000 Error: Expecting an integer between -32768 and 32767 for tag ‘/SystemParameters/BacklightLevel:257’. 0:116 0:000 Warning: invalid CustomUUID ‘’ - should be in the format XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX in dict ‘/SystemParameters/CustomUUID: 258’ 0:117 0:000 Use CloverConfigPlistValidator or look in the log

I then followed these instructions in an attempt to install Catalina, but the system won't boot from the bootable USB I created (fig. 2):

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Bood Media in selected Bood device an press a key_

Would be very grateful for any hints, ideas, help. If you need any more details, I'm happy to provide them.

Thanks guys!
your mistake was updating clover without reading about all the new config.plist entries required for the machine to boot

either add/amend the needed entries or jump ship over to opencore bootloader instead

your mistake was updating clover without reading about all the new config.plist entries required for the machine to boot

either add/amend the needed entries or jump ship over to opencore bootloader instead
Hi, thanks for the super quick response!

You're right, I realize that was a mistake now. Thing is, I didn't expect that updating Clover would alter any settings/entries. Anyways ...

Please forgive my ignorance, but HOW exactly do I add/amend those entries? All I have is the Clover boot menu: 1. Start UEFI Shell 64; 2. Clover Boot Options; 3. Options; ...

I'm guessing that '3. Options' is what I need to be working with, but again: I've no clue where and what to do exactly. Appreciate your help and patience!

Hi, thanks for the super quick response!

You're right, I realize that was a mistake now. Thing is, I didn't expect that updating Clover would alter any settings/entries. Anyways ...

Please forgive my ignorance, but HOW exactly do I add/amend those entries? All I have is the Clover boot menu: 1. Start UEFI Shell 64; 2. Clover Boot Options; 3. Options; ...

I'm guessing that '3. Options' is what I need to be working with, but again: I've no clue where and what to do exactly. Appreciate your help and patience!
i haven't used clover for a few years, but you may want to check over the documentation

or go back to an earlier version before their big change

It would be advisable to switch over to Opencore as Clover has issues working properly on Catalina.
You can follow this guide here > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/
You can also use this online sanity checker tool to check your Opencore config.plist to make sure the settings are correct > https://opencore.slowgeek.com/
do not use that online sanity checker, it has not been updated for later versions of opencore

use ocvalidate tool that comes with opencore instead

Thanks guys for the tips, really do appreciate it!

I've decided to give OC a try, although it seems like an impossible task for me, but I have no better option at the moment.

One question though: will I be able to access my files/docs, or would I be doing a 'clean restart'? I did backup most of what I thought was important, but I guess I'd love if I could just 'undo' that stupid upgrade, access my system as it was 2 weeks ago and then do the whole thing with OC.

I just described a utopia, didn't I?

Thanks guys for the tips, really do appreciate it!

I've decided to give OC a try, although it seems like an impossible task for me, but I have no better option at the moment.

One question though: will I be able to access my files/docs, or would I be doing a 'clean restart'? I did backup most of what I thought was important, but I guess I'd love if I could just 'undo' that stupid upgrade, access my system as it was 2 weeks ago and then do the whole thing with OC.

I just described a utopia, didn't I?
you don't need to wipe your hard drive

Kawika,

Okay here's what you could do. I've found a link online that should help you. It's based on the same chipset as yours (GA-Z87N) so should be good to go if you need to get back to Yosemite. > https://gist.github.com/karlentwistle/588b293cd99b3e36e26d

If you prefer a quicker route, you could follow this guide to upgrade to Catalina > https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-catalina-on-ga-z87-d3hp-i5-4570-gt-740.296161/

and then follow the Dortania guide for conversion to Opencore when you're ready. When you are making your new EFI you can boot your system using the F12 boot key and use a separate USB stick for the Opencore EFI testing - it shouldn't affect your existing Clover setup until its copied over to the main drive (after being fully tested)
> https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/clover-conversion/

It would be advisable to switch over to Opencore as Clover has issues working properly on Catalina.
There are many reasons to switch to OpenCore, but I don't think "Clover has issues working properly on Catalina" is one of them. In fact on each of my first three systems I have Clover 5119 (which is before the big change incorporating elements of OpenCore into Clover) booting Catalina successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back