Contribute
Register

Breakthrough on iTunes protected video, but still bad news, DPCP related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 5,1
CPU
Core i7 920
Graphics
nVidia GTX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have done some pretty extensive testing to arrive at this information, I've tested on a new MacPro that a friend has and tested on several different monitors (including an apple cinema display).

The behavior is reproducible on my hackintosh as well as his new MacPro.

The issue has to do with having a displayport connector in your system, apparently osx on any system with a displayport jack coming from the motherboard or graphics card is forcing DPCP in place of HDCP authentication.

The reason the screen goes blank is because the video stream is being routed through DPCP and can only display via the displayport or thunderbolt jack.

The monitors we've tested:
Acer H236HL
Apple Thunderbolt display 27"
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz

The MacPro is the new late 2013 variant, my Hackintosh is a Haswell 4770k on a gigabyte z87x ud5h with an eVGA GTX 780 (2781)
The results on both systems is identical, as the MacPro has an HDMI port I tested the HDMI port and display port on the GTX780. I did not test my ud5h's displayport connection, I only tested it through my graphics card. For the MacPro to the Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a thunderbolt/displayport cable found at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CAGDUA I also used this same cable to connect my hackintosh to the apple cinema display. For connecting the hackintosh to the acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a displayport cable.

For the monitors here is how it boils down:
Acer H236HL - this monitor only has DVI and hdmi connections, itunes protected video does not play.
Apple Cinema display 27 (2010 model)" - iTunes protected/HD video plays on BOTH systems flawlessly. The hackintosh had no problems and I was floored to see this.
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz - Via the displayport connector iTunes video plays on both systems with no issues, however this monitor does not have an HDMI connector. I used an hdmi->dvi adapter on the MacPro and itunes video did NOT play using this setup, I tested the dvi connector director from my GTX780 and again, same behavior. I then tested with the dvi adapter, and predictably, no playback.

It would seem based on this that when the system has a displayport connector present, the monitor must have a displayport connector and be dpcp compliant.

edit
We also have an ASUS VG248QE monitor available to test! This particular monitor has the nVidia g-sync modification kit and does NOT work when connected, with the g-sync kit there is ONLY a displayport connector to the monitor, the modification strips out the hdmi and dvi connectors leaving only a displayport connector. When using this monitor both the MacPro and the Hackintosh could not display protected iTunes content. There must be an issue regarding DPCP compliance between monitors, unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the product specs that the Acer B243PWL monitor has DPCP support.

edit 2
I'm wondering what type of behavior we can get if we can somehow kill displayport in the OS, or how dpcp works in OSX if we can somehow kill that. This would involve some kext development and coding that I'm unfortunately not too skilled at.

Replying because this is great research. I have nothing to add but I think this post deserves more exposure and hopefully someone will be able to do some investigation based on it. :)

Hi,

that sounds interessting. My Dell lat e5520 with Sandy and HD3000 has DRM HD playback issues as well.

Could this be resolved by disabling the whatever other port so that the software does not report any other port than the internal one and then falles back to support HDCP?

lemans

I have 2 hackintosh's running Mavericks. On the old 775 dual core with GT430 connected to my new Dell U2713H via HDMI cable plays protected HD movies/content no issues.. The new hackintosh is haswell 4790k devil canyon GTX780ti and it does NOT play protect content (DRM).

I think its a CPU and/or chipset issue rather than the connected display.

Ive got around the problem by installing windows 8, iTunes and DRM removal program in virtual box. I use it just to download and remove the DRM so I can now watch on any platform with out any limitations.. I could use my older machine to download the content and convert but I'm wanting get rid of that machine so this seems to be the best solution.

Running Yosemite w/ iTunes 12. Black screen for me as well when trying to play iTunes movies. Once the black screen is up, I can select the different chapters, size of screen, etc. But the time lapse on the video does not move when I hit play. Acting like its paused.....

When I select airplay within the video options and throw it at my Apple TV, it will play, and the time lapse on my desktop counts as the movie plays (obviously with the back screen since airplay is engaged).

I was able to play video's prior to upgrading to Yosemite.

Any ideas?

Yosemite
GA-Z87X-UD4H
i7-4790K over-clocked to 4.2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2048 MB
Dual DELL U2412M Displays
Mini-displayport to displayport cables

By the way, I'm a newbie. :shh:

Since your using the display port, does the cable you have support DPCP? Does your monitor support DPCP?

edite:
I got the cable and plugged it into the display port. Videos still do not play :(

Will this work with Yosemite? I wonder. In my case, when I tested a pure display port only setup with a Display Port HP monitor, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276077 the whole hackintosh freezes up. I have to reboot. I was thinking of buying that monitor. But the one you suggested is cheaper and might work better. I already got 1 1920 x 1200 monitor and Id love another one. But Im still worried about that freezing aspect

Having looked at this for a while it seems that a combination of a DPCP compliant screen and a supported graphics card is required.

On a machine with a non-supported graphics card a trailer on iTunes that plays successfully (not protected) you will note the following in the logs:

Code:
27/02/2015 09:36:47.172 iTunes[1381]: GVA error: AGPMGetManagedPortForAccelerator returned 0x4 for VP4

However when playback of a protected trailer in iTunes is attempted then the following is added

Code:
27/02/2015 09:36:47.173 iTunes[1381]: GVA error: AVD_api.Create failed (err=11, displayID=69514627, mask1=31, mask2=31, mask3=8)
27/02/2015 09:36:47.173 iTunes[1381]: GVA error: Flow_QT0::physicalAcceleratorDispose, m_physical_accel_created == false

Note the similar error message in Youtube for HD content (this plays back correctly)

Code:
27/02/2015 09:53:38.532 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[603]: GVA error: AGPMGetManagedPortForAccelerator returned 0x4 for VP4
27/02/2015 09:53:38.533 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[603]: GVA error: AVD_api.Create failed (err=11, displayID=69514627, mask1=31, mask2=31, mask3=8)
27/02/2015 09:53:38.533 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent[603]: GVA error: Flow_QT0::physicalAcceleratorDispose, m_physical_accel_created == false

Based on other threads it seems you best bet would be to purchase a 2nd hand Apple LED Display and a graphics card nearly identical to those in Macs. Challenge is that most iMacs use mobile variants of graphics cards which are difficult to obtain if you are building a system. That leaves you mostly with Mac Pro's and supported graphics cards. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro

and

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201805

I have done some pretty extensive testing to arrive at this information, I've tested on a new MacPro that a friend has and tested on several different monitors (including an apple cinema display).

The behavior is reproducible on my hackintosh as well as his new MacPro.

The issue has to do with having a displayport connector in your system, apparently osx on any system with a displayport jack coming from the motherboard or graphics card is forcing DPCP in place of HDCP authentication.

The reason the screen goes blank is because the video stream is being routed through DPCP and can only display via the displayport or thunderbolt jack.

The monitors we've tested:
Acer H236HL
Apple Thunderbolt display 27"
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz

The MacPro is the new late 2013 variant, my Hackintosh is a Haswell 4770k on a gigabyte z87x ud5h with an eVGA GTX 780 (2781)
The results on both systems is identical, as the MacPro has an HDMI port I tested the HDMI port and display port on the GTX780. I did not test my ud5h's displayport connection, I only tested it through my graphics card. For the MacPro to the Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a thunderbolt/displayport cable found at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CAGDUA I also used this same cable to connect my hackintosh to the apple cinema display. For connecting the hackintosh to the acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a displayport cable.

For the monitors here is how it boils down:
Acer H236HL - this monitor only has DVI and hdmi connections, itunes protected video does not play.
Apple Cinema display 27 (2010 model)" - iTunes protected/HD video plays on BOTH systems flawlessly. The hackintosh had no problems and I was floored to see this.
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz - Via the displayport connector iTunes video plays on both systems with no issues, however this monitor does not have an HDMI connector. I used an hdmi->dvi adapter on the MacPro and itunes video did NOT play using this setup, I tested the dvi connector director from my GTX780 and again, same behavior. I then tested with the dvi adapter, and predictably, no playback.

It would seem based on this that when the system has a displayport connector present, the monitor must have a displayport connector and be dpcp compliant.

edit
We also have an ASUS VG248QE monitor available to test! This particular monitor has the nVidia g-sync modification kit and does NOT work when connected, with the g-sync kit there is ONLY a displayport connector to the monitor, the modification strips out the hdmi and dvi connectors leaving only a displayport connector. When using this monitor both the MacPro and the Hackintosh could not display protected iTunes content. There must be an issue regarding DPCP compliance between monitors, unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the product specs that the Acer B243PWL monitor has DPCP support.

edit 2
I'm wondering what type of behavior we can get if we can somehow kill displayport in the OS, or how dpcp works in OSX if we can somehow kill that. This would involve some kext development and coding that I'm unfortunately not too skilled at.

i found this tread this might shed some light on this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3996724

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back