Contribute
Register

Breakthrough on iTunes protected video, but still bad news, DPCP related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey shadywack, do you have any news for this topic?
i am building a hackintosh for a friend, and used the AOC G2460PQU monitor to set this thing up. i use this monitar as a second monitor on my iMac, connected via minidisplayport/displayport - with functional DRM playback - so i think this means this monitor is DPCP capable. but it doesnt work on the hackintosh. the monitor is connected via displayport to the hackintosh.

@ Shadywack

Can you please save and post your IORegistryExplorer report from your Hackintosh with working iTunes Store videos?

You can download the required version from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

1. Open the App IORegistryExplorer go to file/save as.
2. Post the saved file here so we can learn exactly why your system is working.

With this report the community might be able to learn what configuration others are missing and hopefully how to fix.

Thanks,

Robert aka Mrengles

I have done some pretty extensive testing to arrive at this information, I've tested on a new MacPro that a friend has and tested on several different monitors (including an apple cinema display).

The behavior is reproducible on my hackintosh as well as his new MacPro.

The issue has to do with having a displayport connector in your system, apparently osx on any system with a displayport jack coming from the motherboard or graphics card is forcing DPCP in place of HDCP authentication.

The reason the screen goes blank is because the video stream is being routed through DPCP and can only display via the displayport or thunderbolt jack.

The monitors we've tested:
Acer H236HL
Apple Thunderbolt display 27"
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz

The MacPro is the new late 2013 variant, my Hackintosh is a Haswell 4770k on a gigabyte z87x ud5h with an eVGA GTX 780 (2781)
The results on both systems is identical, as the MacPro has an HDMI port I tested the HDMI port and display port on the GTX780. I did not test my ud5h's displayport connection, I only tested it through my graphics card. For the MacPro to the Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a thunderbolt/displayport cable found at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B004CAGDUA I also used this same cable to connect my hackintosh to the apple cinema display. For connecting the hackintosh to the acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz I used a displayport cable.

For the monitors here is how it boils down:
Acer H236HL - this monitor only has DVI and hdmi connections, itunes protected video does not play.
Apple Cinema display 27 (2010 model)" - iTunes protected/HD video plays on BOTH systems flawlessly. The hackintosh had no problems and I was floored to see this.
Acer B243PWL Ajbmdrz - Via the displayport connector iTunes video plays on both systems with no issues, however this monitor does not have an HDMI connector. I used an hdmi->dvi adapter on the MacPro and itunes video did NOT play using this setup, I tested the dvi connector director from my GTX780 and again, same behavior. I then tested with the dvi adapter, and predictably, no playback.

It would seem based on this that when the system has a displayport connector present, the monitor must have a displayport connector and be dpcp compliant.

edit
We also have an ASUS VG248QE monitor available to test! This particular monitor has the nVidia g-sync modification kit and does NOT work when connected, with the g-sync kit there is ONLY a displayport connector to the monitor, the modification strips out the hdmi and dvi connectors leaving only a displayport connector. When using this monitor both the MacPro and the Hackintosh could not display protected iTunes content. There must be an issue regarding DPCP compliance between monitors, unfortunately I cannot find anywhere in the product specs that the Acer B243PWL monitor has DPCP support.

edit 2
I'm wondering what type of behavior we can get if we can somehow kill displayport in the OS, or how dpcp works in OSX if we can somehow kill that. This would involve some kext development and coding that I'm unfortunately not too skilled at.

Hi, so I went ahead and ended up buying a similar video card as you the eVGA GTX 780 (2784) also bought the Acer B286HK ymjdpprz, which has HDMI, DVI, MiniDisplay Port and DisplayPort. Connected my monitor to the eVGA GTX 780 via the display port and instead of just a black screen and nothing playing I get the green garbled screen and sound playing but only if I sent the init video to Internal Graphics first in my bios :/ One thing that changed is I can no longer play stuff Netflix through Safari, this used to work fine when I was using on board Intel HD 4000 as my main display so that's an interesting development. Also I'm using Ozmosis instead of Clover or Chimera/Chameleon. Under the hood got a GA-Z77X-UD5H and a i7 3770K.

iTunes now non-functional on Sandy Bridge machines as well since El Capitan upgrade. Looks like Apple has finally closed that loophole.

If the community isn't able / willing to tackle the problem, perhaps it should be highlighted more prominently on this and other sites as the one glaring, unresolved functionality issue with custom builds. Since it was previously working fine on my own computer, the fact that it didn't work on a new build for a family member was a very unpleasant surprise, as it was not mentioned in any of the online guides. I had to dig to find out that this was an issue for many people.

bump!

the hdcp issue needs to be more highlighted, as it is the only (?) problem that cannot be solved (?) at the moment. i've been into hackintosh-ing a few years now and since around 2013 it got really easy with clover and most problems were just gone. i do not own a hackintosh for myself, mostly because of this drm issue and i do not want to build a hackintosh on old hardware. since apple gets more and more into this "one-way-computer" thing with soldered ram, higher prices etc. i really plan on building a hackintosh for myself. and i want to help the community on solving this problem!
i own an 27" haswell imac with a second displayport monitor (with working drm) so if someone here wants to work on this problem and needs data/information or something from a real mac, please feel free to contact me. the community, especially this forum, helped me so much on many builds and i want to give something back.

This kind of stuff really gets under my skin. These companies had to create the complicated HDCP scheme somehow thinking that it was going to stop pirating, but once again the only thing it really does is makes things for difficult for regular users. Video pirates are not stopped by any of these copy protections, no matter what they always find a way around them. Really wish these companies would get that through their heads and stop putting these restrictions in place that hinder the regular user. Sure we are Hackintoshing, but I am pretty sure nobody on here is trying to pirate video, people are just trying to watch content that they legally paid for. The way I look at it if you paid for video on iTunes, you should be free to play that video on any monitor or device you wish, because well, you paid for it.

yep, it looks like it is more complicated than it could be.. iTunes movies are protected through your apple id and you are limited to 5 computers with iTunes and your apple id anyway. hdcp makes just makes it harder to watch this stuff, forcing even real mac users in some cases to buy new monitors, tvs, etc.

i am going to build a hackintosh for a friend next week, on a p67 board with i7 2600, wich i know has working hdcp on previous builds up to yosemite.. if it is true, that el capitan breaks hdcp even on older compatible hardware, it could mean that hdcp compatibility is somehow manageable through the os, since the efi doesnt gets an update with el capitan on real macs (correct me if im wrong). so it shouldn't depend on what chipsets we are using?

so when i am building this hackintosh, i could save the log files from the console on yosemite and el capitan when playing iTunes protected stuff.. maybe someone here can do something useful with this informations.. i hope..

sorry for my english ^^

iTunes now non-functional on Sandy Bridge machines as well since El Capitan upgrade. Looks like Apple has finally closed that loophole.

If the community isn't able / willing to tackle the problem, perhaps it should be highlighted more prominently on this and other sites as the one glaring, unresolved functionality issue with custom builds. Since it was previously working fine on my own computer, the fact that it didn't work on a new build for a family member was a very unpleasant surprise, as it was not mentioned in any of the online guides. I had to dig to find out that this was an issue for many people.

Not sure why iTunes video has stopped working on your Sandy Bridge, but all 3 of my SBs play back iTunes DRM video without any problems. These are running the latest El Capitan, Nvidia GT 640 and Nvidia 610 cards, HD to HD (Dell HD display).

Although trying to play back via Intel HD graphics stops playback.

Same here. I-5 2500k SB with z68 msi ma-gd45, nvidia 650ti, nvidia web drivers, latest update of OS X plays hd content in iTunes no problem. Also have an I-5 haswell with Z87 msi ma-gaming, nvidia 960, nvidia web drivers, and latest update of OS X. The Haswell system only plays sd content in iTunes. HD content shows black screen, timer never moves, can exit out of the black black screen to main iTunes Store window. :banghead: Clover boot loader for both systems, smbios 12.1 on SB and 14.1 on Haswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back