Contribute
Register

Both Installed: El Capitan, Win10 - Both in Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690k
Graphics
Asus strix gtx 970
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!,

I've been looking all over and reading many different methods but haven't successfully found a recent and similar post that addresses what I'm looking for.

Want to: Boot from within Clover to either Win10 or Mac OSX.

I currently have Mac OSX installed on one SSD and WIN10 on another SSD. I am able to boot to MAC OSX within Clover fine, however having followed a guide to be able to boot to WIN10 from within Clover It just hits a black screen with a flashing underscore.

I can select to boot into WIN10 from BIOS boot options, though.

The way I installed was isolating each disk during installation. For MAC OSX I installed UEFI and for WIN10 I installed legacy, per all the guides I was reading. Upon plugging both drives in, the Windows legacy HD1 appeared in clover, but hits the issue previously described.

Any ideas what steps I need to take from here? What other information could I give you guys?

Thanks for the great community and opportunity to use Mac without burning a hole in my pocket.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($69.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($90.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.47 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED 21.5" Monitor
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($249.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard ($76.27 @ Amazon)
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei RAW Wired Laser Mouse ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Headset ($78.95 @ Amazon)

Last edited:
See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

Your basic error here was trying to mix boot modes - Clover UEFI will not boot Windows Legacy.

You can go through a bunch of research and terminal commands to copy the EFI boot files into your Windows Legacy or do it the easy way by re-installing Windows UEFI mode.

Or, you can delete the EFI folder on the OS X drive and re-install Clover in Legacy mode.

Either way will work, so it is up to you which you want to do. Since you failed to follow the forum rules and post your hardware in the OP, enter it into your profile and/or create a sig, that is all I can say for sure.
Personally, if I have hardware that is capable of booting UEFI, I would install all OSs in UEFI mode.

See https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-multibooting-uefi-on-separate-drives.198869/

Your basic error here was trying to mix boot modes - Clover UEFI will not boot Windows Legacy.

Going Bald,

Thanks for this link. This was my first attempt at dual booting but being an amateur I expertly managed to overlook partitioning/formatting with OSX before installing WIN10 EUFI. I'm sure that's where my hiccup was.

So I'm in compliance with rules, I will update immediately and then attempt reinstalling WIN10 per instructions.

I appreciate your help very much; I will update on the results in a couple to a few hours.

I have Clover booting into Mac OSX via UEFI just fine, as my previous post I'm still having trouble getting into WIN10 from Clover. I installed Mac OSX no hiccups (this most recent time).

When I installed WIN10 I enabled CSM, disconnected the Mac OSX drive, and installed WIN10 UEFI. After a successful installation I disabled CSM, and plugged both SSD's back in.

When I attempt to start from Windows EFI in Clover one of two things happens:
  1. It attempts to enter "auto recovery" as seen here.
  2. or it does the windows loading os circles, then turns off all my peripherals, and leaves my computer on, as seen here.

Does anyone have any hints as to what I can look into next or what I'm obviously doing wrong?

Last edited:
INTERESTING UPDATE!

So, I reinstalled Win10; instead of installing any drivers or updating anything I closed out, plugged in my other Mac OS SSD, booted to clover, and then booted into windows completely fine. Once I was in Windows I began installing the usual, including (and what I'm suspicious about) NVidia drivers for my Strix GTX970. I restarted, went to clover, and selected the Windows 10 EFI in Clover, and got that same Peripherals issue again; it spins the wheel, like it's about to load windows, then all my peripherals turn off while my computer keeps running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back