Contribute
Register

Bory27's Build: Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H i7-4790K GTX980Ti Sierra 10.12.5 Fresh Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, great writing. Quick question. I have a very similar config with two gtx 970 with the sli cable attached. I understand that SLI does not work and That the cable with be ignored and the cards treated as two different cards. Note that the cards are exactly the same. Can i leave both cards in during install?

Hi, great writing. Quick question. I have a very similar config with two gtx 970 with the sli cable attached. I understand that SLI does not work and That the cable with be ignored and the cards treated as two different cards. Note that the cards are exactly the same. Can i leave both cards in during install?
i dont know, havent tried that... please you just try and report results here for others to gain knowledge, thanks.

i dont know, havent tried that... please you just try and report results here for others to gain knowledge, thanks.

Hi, I just did a full fresh install 100% success of the latest Sierra thank to your post and the install guide. it went so easily that I am still psyched about it - I will create a post but my config is

Hardware
Case NZXT s340 White
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI v1.0
Cpu Intel i5-4690k oc to 4.2ghz
GraphicCards 2 * GTX 970 gigabyte windforce 3 oc (both recognized as separate cards and fully supported) after installation of nvidia web drivers
Ram Gskill 16 GB RAM DDR3 1866 mhz
SSD OS: 1 nvme m.2 samsung evo 960 ssd 256GB
SSD Storage:: 2 regular ocz vertex 460 500 (they suck balls, but they were so cheap... for a reason)
Network: Custom build wifi + bluetooth card from fleabay
Screen: LG 31MU97z (with thunderbolt port), worked at 4096*2160 at 60hz directly!!!

Initial Issues:
Symptoms: some icons were blurry - solution: deactivated IGP
Symptoms: no audio through HDMI on my screen solution: install clover configurator, mount EFI drive, use nvidia HDMI install script for nvidia available on tonymac

Questions (i did not find an answer on the forum):
1 - Does someone know how (and If i should) reactivate the IGP?
2 - i use the default DSDT (imac 14,2), is there a DSDT that i should specifically use to benefit from my two graphics cards in application that supports it?
3 - In clover there is a dsdt for overclocked machine, has anyone used it - I cannot find information about it
4 - is there a way to know the temperature and control the fan plugged on the motherboard CPU fan, system fan 1 and system fan 2 from sierra.

Thank you in advance for the answers.

happy to answer questions on install

Thanks for possibly the most in-depth guide I've come across yet. It's much appreciated.

I've been using this same motherboard successfully since Snow Leopard 10.6 using a mish-mash of earlier guides, but came into difficulty when trying to update it to Sierra, until I read your guide.

Now I've got everything working except on-board ethernet, and can't for the life of me figure out what's going wrong. Am just getting the "Status: cable unplugged" error.

I've tried manually configuring the IP config, as well as trying DHCP and DHCP with a manual IP address.

Wifi works perfectly (using TP Link 450Mbps card) but it's not ideal for this setup.

I did go through the IntelMausiEthernet.kext installation as per your guide, but no joy. Any ideas?

Hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz
RAM: Crucial 16GB (8GBx2) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz
Wifi: TP LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
onboard ethernet

Last edited:
Thanks for possibly the most in-depth guide I've come across yet. It's much appreciated.

I've been using this same motherboard successfully since Snow Leopard 10.6 using a mish-mash of earlier guides, but came into difficulty when trying to update it to Sierra, until I read your guide.

Now I've got everything working except on-board ethernet, and can't for the life of me figure out what's going wrong. Am just getting the "Status: cable unplugged" error.

I've tried manually configuring the IP config, as well as trying DHCP and DHCP with a manual IP address.

Wifi works perfectly (using TP Link 450Mbps card) but it's not ideal for this setup.

I did go through the IntelMausiEthernet.kext installation as per your guide, but no joy. Any ideas?

Hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz
RAM: Crucial 16GB (8GBx2) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz
Wifi: TP LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
onboard ethernet
Please check your Ethernet port using a Windows installation. If it is a problem in Windows, then your Ethernet port is problematic.

Please check your Ethernet port using a Windows installation. If it is a problem in Windows, then your Ethernet port is problematic.

Thanks for that, but I have tried it successfully with Windows and Linux. Any other ideas perhaps?

Thanks for that, but I have tried it successfully with Windows and Linux. Any other ideas perhaps?
Are you sure you have done clean fresh install as my guide?

If you're not clean install, 1 possibility is conflicting kext. IntelMausi kext you installed may conflict with other kexts you installed before.

Are you sure you have done clean fresh install as my guide?

If you're not clean install, 1 possibility is conflicting kext. IntelMausi kext you installed may conflict with other kexts you installed before.

I'm just seeing the notification of this reply now, apologies. Yes it was a clean install, everything followed to the letter. Quite strange. Have been using WiFi in the mean time but it's far from ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back