Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> BOOTx64.efi is a TextEdit document?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On my High Sierra computers, BOOTx64.efi Get Info states it is to be opened with Mac File Opener.app. But on my Mojave computer running 10.14.6, the "preview" shows it is a TextEdit document and Get Info says it is to be opened with TextEdit. And indeed it does open. Problem is that OpenCore will not boot because "no boot app can be found" or some such nonsense. What''s going on?

What''s going on?

BOOTx64.efi is part of the boot loader only and is never accessed by the OS so whichever app Get Info says to open it with is entirely irrelevant.

If you really want to access it then use 'Open With', select 'Other' then enable 'All Applications'.
Choose your preferred app and then select 'Always open With' to make that the default.

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 00.07.12.png

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 00.07.32.png

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I guess I "buried the lead." I updated from OC 0.7.8 to 0.7.9 and got an error message from OC that there was no "bootable" file, or something like that. Yet my 0.7.9 boot loader looks just like my 0.7.8 version (which works fine), which led me to notice that oddness about BOOTx64.efi. But I guess that's not the problem. Have yet to discover what's wrong.

[Edit: Got it, two quirks had the wrong Boolean values.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back