2. eMac
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] BOOTMGR is missing | The Dual Boot Debacle

PROBLEM: Can not get boot loader to see WIN7 boot drive. "BOOTMGR is missing"

I have had no problems getting OSX to run from boot loader. Win7 boots only when I change to Windows Drive in the BIOS. I have tried reinstalling WIN7 and reinstalling boot loader with the same results. Just trying to tie up this last loose end.

Some Details:
My OSX and boot loader live on a ROCKETRAID and it works perfectly.
Win7 lives on its own single SSD.
MOBO: Z77X-UPX5-TH

Any know what I have done wrong?:banghead:

EDIT: SOLUTION IN ABOVE POST

I am aware that Chameleon won't even find Linux formatted drives... so could the Win7 SSD have an odd format?
Option 2 - Are you using a Win 7 install that contains the "System Reserved" partition? If so - that is the one you choose not the one labeled Win 7.

Just guessing mind you...

I am aware that Chameleon won't even find Linux formatted drives... so could the Win7 SSD have an odd format?
Option 2 - Are you using a Win 7 install that contains the "System Reserved" partition? If so - that is the one you choose not the one labeled Win 7.

Just guessing mind you...

Thanks for the suggestions.

1. I used windows install disk to format the SSD for win7 so all is good there.
2. Chameleon shows 2 windows drives, I cant tell if one is "System Reserved" but I assumed one of them was. I tried both but still get the same error "BOOT MGR Missing." WIN7 loads fine when I make it the boot volume from the BIOS.

Any one have any leads for me to follow?

T

Starting to wonder if it is a BIOS setting issue or perhaps Chameleon can't see WIN7 boot partition? Then why have a bootloader? Hmm still have to eliminated the possibility of user error.

[SOLVED] BOOTMGR is missing | The Dual Boot Debacle

PROBLEM: Can not get boot loader to see WIN7 boot drive. "BOOTMGR is missing"

I have had no problems getting OSX to run from boot loader. Win7 boots only when I change to Windows Drive in the BIOS. I have tried reinstalling WIN7 and reinstalling boot loader with the same results. Just trying to tie up this last loose end.

Some Details:
My OSX and boot loader live on a ROCKETRAID and it works perfectly.
Win7 lives on its own single SSD.
MOBO: Z77X-UPX5-TH

Any know what I have done wrong?:banghead:

Solution was quite simple actually. If you are dual booting with dedicated drives for each OS here is the solution. I disconnected my OSX drive. Then with just my WIN7 drive attached I, booted off WIN7 disk and install WIN7 on my SSD. After the successful install I shutdown and attached my OSX drive boot drive and set the BIOS to boot to it. Now Chameleon works and can boot both OS's..

...here is the solution. I disconnected my OSX drive.

That is exactly how I did it but I removed all my other drives in order to not "accidentally" reformat the wrong drive. I never realized that it impacted Chameleon. Glad you figured it out.

Solution was quite simple actually. If you are dual booting with dedicated drives for each OS here is the solution. I disconnected my OSX drive. Then with just my WIN7 drive attached I, booted off WIN7 disk and install WIN7 on my SSD. After the successful install I shutdown and attached my OSX drive boot drive and set the BIOS to boot to it. Now Chameleon works and can boot both OS's..

Yes, if you search for a user named goingbald, he explains also that the issue can be if you run the windows install disk in UEFI mode. Apparently chimera (and I think Chameleon too) won't see the efi system reserved partition that contains the bootmgr. In my case, it would see the NTFS drive but not the partition containing the boot info, so I was getting the same error.

I didn't unplug. I just disabled the sata for my mac ssd in the bios, and in the boot menu, I selected the sata option for my install disk rather than the uefi option. This made it so that I had to use diskpart from the command prompt (shift + F10 to get into it, I believe) to format the disk and change it to an mbr disk instead of gpt which it was from my previous install (or it wouldn't install).

Problem is solved now, except that I did have to once again disable the OSX drive in order to install Windows 7 service pack 1 because it will only install to the "active" disk. Anyway, just to add a little detail as to why your solution probably ended up working for you.

hey guys glad you solved your issues. I'm encountering the same thing now myself. just reinstalled win7 and getting to it from my chimera flash drive gives me the error now. I'm wondering if there is a solution that doesn't require reinstalling Windows. it's probably happening because efi / boot drive reading stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back