Contribute
Register

BootLoader Theme Not In Full Resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Vostro 3350
CPU
i3-2310M
Graphics
HD 3000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm using the theme featured here:
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,5926.0.html?PHPSESSID=st5nnmbpuacjfk3upphbolh879uvgo7c

Here's my org.Chameleon.Boot.plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I was able to get this theme in full resolution (1920x1080x32) in VirtualBox, however, I can't get it to work on my host computer. The OS itself is in full resolution, just not the bootloader. Any ideas?

Thanks

The bootloader screens don't have their own graphics card-specific drivers (that would obviously be nearly impossible to provide with all the graphics options out there), so the bootloader depends on the VESA modes supplied by the graphics card's BIOS. The probable answer is that your graphics card does not provide a 1920x1080 mode, which is the case with most nVidia cards, I believe (my GT 640 doesn't have one either).

The reason you get that mode in VirtualBox is probably because the graphics BIOS emulation in VirtualBox does provide that mode.

The bootloader screens don't have their own graphics card-specific drivers (that would obviously be nearly impossible to provide with all the graphics options out there), so the bootloader depends on the VESA modes supplied by the graphics card's BIOS. The probable answer is that your graphics card does not provide a 1920x1080 mode, which is the case with most nVidia cards, I believe (my GT 640 doesn't have one either).

The reason you get that mode in VirtualBox is probably because the graphics BIOS emulation in VirtualBox does provide that mode.
So does that mean I can't change the bootloader resolution?

So does that mean I can't change the bootloader resolution?

I think there's a Windows way that involves binary patching the graphics card BIOS and flashing it (not for the faint of heart!) for AMD cards, but I'm not sure the tools exist for nVidia cards.

I think there's a Windows way that involves binary patching the graphics card BIOS and flashing it (not for the faint of heart!) for AMD cards, but I'm not sure the tools exist for nVidia cards.
Ok. I think it would be better to just leave it alone. Don't wanna break my PC. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back