Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87N-WiFi
CPU
E3-1230 v3
Graphics
GTX 760
Hey guys!

I just finished building an all new computer featuring a Gigabyte Z87n-WiFi, Intel Xeon E3 1230 V3, 8GB Corsair RAM and a GTX 760. I also have a 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD for Windows and a 1TB WD Caviar Blue for Windows programs/files. Then there's a second 1Tb Caviar Blue for OS X + all programs and files.

When I completed the build I started by installing Windows to the SSD and setting everything up. Got it to recognize the first Caviar Blue so that I could create installation folders and libraries on there. The second drive was plugged in, but brand new and unformatted. Therefore, Windows did not recognize it anyway.

Then I shut down the PC, unplugged the Windows drives and installed OS X Mavericks from a USB that I previously used on a z77-D3H board with a core i3 and HD4000 graphics without a problem. Booting took a long time, so I went back into the bios and realized I forgot to disable VT-d and so I did, followed by a clean install of OS X.

Everything seemed to work perfectly (audio, LAN, USB3, GTX760) without even using Multibeast. With the Windows drives still unplugged I tried to boot without the Unibeast drive but I got the Boot0 error. Rebooted into the installation and used the tutorial on here to fix that. Great, that helped. On to the next (and current problem):

This is how Chimera 3.0.1 looks for me:
WP_20140824_005_zps42433d75.jpg

When I then try to boot into OS X, it just gets stuck at the boot screen. I tried to boot using -v and I got this:

WP_20140824_004_zps562e5cc3.jpg

Seems like one of the last things it does is the 'BluetoothHCIController' which my motherboard has built-in. I could not find an option in the bios to turn it off, but I'm not sure it's even the problem?

The last thing it says is 'considerRebuildOfPrelinkedKernel prebuild rebuild has expired' but I have no idea what that means?

The issue now is that I still need the Unibeast drive to boot into OS X, but with that drive('s bootloader) in the PC, it won't boot into my Windows install. I tried adding an OS X bootloader via EasyBCD in Windows but when I selected OS X from the EasyBCD bootloader, it would go into the proper Chameleon/Chimera bootloader (with the graphic interface and everything), then when I selected OS X in there again, the computer would just reboot and I'd end back up at the EasyBCD screen, so I only created an extra step between powering on and failing to boot.

I then removed the OS X bootloader using EasyBCD within Windows again and it removed my Windows bootloader as well without warning so I had to reinstall that. Never using EasyBCD again.

Does anyone have any idea what I can/should do?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
Rick

The basics: the OSX drive has to be formatted with MBR (master boot record). The UEFI/BIOS has to be set to point to that drive as the first boot drive other than optical drives. That is easy to overlook and causes many problems. Nothing will work unless the hard drives are configured for AHCI. It is easier to set things up with Windows and OS on separate hard drives. If using the same hard drive OSX must be on the first partition. Truly that is all it takes.

If you have configured Multibeast correctly (it is easy to miss a flag setting) and its boot loader the boot loader should automatically recognize any OSX, Windows 7 or 8 bootable drive, but not Linux (who cares) without more trouble than Linux is worth. If you have really screwed the pooch with Multibeast rarely you have to hunt down and delete/replace an errant kext.

Easy BCD does not work for most users as a multi-boot solution. If the Windows hard drive will not boot restore the MBR with the Windows install disc. Booting Windows is unrelated to OSX. The boot loader in Multibeast should automatically identify bootable OSX and Windows partitions. Once working you can add bootable partitions without reconfiguring the boot loader: this has worked for me.

If you cannot boot stably off the hard drive without typing flags in all likelihood you have not configured Multibeast correctly, barring oddball hardware issues (unrecognized non-essential components like bluetooth should not cause problems but ?). It may take several tries with Multibeast drilling down on all settings. If you can boot off Unibeast you should be able to boot off the hard drive.

I am not sure if there are specific issues with a Xenon processor as Apple made insanely overpriced towers with Xenon processors. I am also not sure but I suspect you made your OSX partition unbeatable possibly via BCD. However if you can boot with Unibeast even that can be fixed with Terminal command line instructions you can find if you search. Or just reinstall.

My experience and my impressions from reading posts on this site is that most problems are due to misunderstood flags, missed or errant settings in Multibeast, and misunderstandings about the boot loader. These are generally solvable problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back