Graphics
onboard
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey everyone as indicated by my post I am looking to use snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a new system that's using an Ivy Bridge processor.
I am a very fond user of Snow Leopard and I Would love to be able to use it with the newest good fast efficient technology out there and that comes in the form of the Ivy Bridge chip

I've managed to install a fully functional mountain lion updated to 10.8.2 and even though I have it running on one of the lower Ivy bridge offerings it still screams performance wise geek benches over 5000 . To be honest I don't really like the mountain lion interface is, in my line of work I am almost 200% more productive with a SL interface.
Now ive read posts where people state that you need the CD every time to boot the computer up and my main question is is there any possible way to install some kind of boot loader or copy what's on the CD to Enable booting from my SSD.

By the way what exactly is on the iboot for Ivy Bridge CD that enables SL To boot. I know it involves certain kexts and drivers but specifically what is it that is lacking natively and why can't it be incorporated into the install maybe through multi beast or just doing stand-alone copy or replacement of files

Hey everyone as indicated by my post I am looking to use snow Leopard 10.6.8 on a new system that's using an Ivy Bridge processor.
I am a very fond user of Snow Leopard and I Would love to be able to use it with the newest good fast efficient technology out there and that comes in the form of the Ivy Bridge chip

I've managed to install a fully functional mountain lion updated to 10.8.2 and even though I have it running on one of the lower Ivy bridge offerings it still screams performance wise geek benches over 5000 . To be honest I don't really like the mountain lion interface is, in my line of work I am almost 200% more productive with a SL interface.
Now ive read posts where people state that you need the CD every time to boot the computer up and my main question is is there any possible way to install some kind of boot loader or copy what's on the CD to Enable booting from my SSD.

By the way what exactly is on the iboot for Ivy Bridge CD that enables SL To boot. I know it involves certain kexts and drivers but specifically what is it that is lacking natively and why can't it be incorporated into the install maybe through multi beast or just doing stand-alone copy or replacement of files

aceshighm3

The answer is no the IB cpu and chips on the MB will not work w native SL kernel - this is why you need to use the ivy bridge boot cd (iBoot)

What you should do is to get a Sandy Bridge motherboard and a SB cpu w HD3000 GFX
Preferable one that is /was on the Suggested hardware - see what you can find in your computer stores or online and seach the forums for that model and success full builds w it.

I to like the SL over all compared to ML ( Lion is my least fav)

Again you cant use the Sl kernal and newer hardware (IB CPU and Z77 MB) only the Sandy Bridge CPU and Z68 MB can be used for SL.

well i already have several SB machines all "m(h)acked" however its not good enough for me to be honest. I'd much rather use the newer IB setups.
SB is great, but the power savings on loaded IB chips has a big power/heat savings over SB (performance aside) . and I'm using a IB with H61 board. not 77.

anyway i understand the short comings of SL drivers and hence why special iboot is needed, but why cant these kernels be copied over to the install disk (just like we do with multibeast) to enable native HD boot.

do you know what specific kernels are missing/needed?

do you know what specific kernels are missing/needed?

It is the Snow Leopard mach-kernel itself that doesn't contain the drivers for the latest hardware. Apple only updated the kernel in 10.6.8 to use the Sandy Bridge boards and processors and made the decision not to update the kernel further when they came out with Lion. Then Lion 10.7.5 has the updated kernel to run Ivy Bridge, and Mountain Lion started on Ivy Bridge.

Unless you decompile the SL mach_kernel, hack it to add drivers for the Ivy Bridge hardware and recompile it, there is no way to get SL to boot from HDD on IB hardware.

It is the Snow Leopard mach-kernel itself that doesn't contain the drivers for the latest hardware. Apple only updated the kernel in 10.6.8 to use the Sandy Bridge boards and processors and made the decision not to update the kernel further when they came out with Lion. Then Lion 10.7.5 has the updated kernel to run Ivy Bridge, and Mountain Lion started on Ivy Bridge.

Unless you decompile the SL mach_kernel, hack it to add drivers for the Ivy Bridge hardware and recompile it, there is no way to get SL to boot from HDD on IB hardware.

Cool thank you for that clarification I figured its something along those lines of something being absent in Snow Leopard that doesn't allow it to natively run. So then I take it that this missing kernel is present on the iBooth for Ivy. If so and it allows Snow Leopard to boot up why can't that just be moved over to the hard disk to bypass the need of the CD?

Cool thank you for that clarification I figured its something along those lines of something being absent in Snow Leopard that doesn't allow it to natively run. So then I take it that this missing kernel is present on the iBooth for Ivy. If so and it allows Snow Leopard to boot up why can't that just be moved over to the hard disk to bypass the need of the CD?

That is more a question for macman or tonymacx86, as I really have no idea what they did to get it to work. And since I had no interest in it, I never tried it. I just don't know, one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back