Motherboard
Asus ROG Z390 H GAMING-Clover
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I fell asleep with my computer on last night. When I awoke this morning, it would not wake up. There was no sign of life, except that I could see the glowing lights from my motherboard through the vents in the case. I was forced to do a hard restart.

Upon restarting, I got the Clover bootloader screen, and the Apple logo with the loading bar, and everything seemed fine. However, the computer eventually booted to a black screen. The audio worked (I had left a web page open with a youtube video on and it started playing from the beginning automatically). I got a banner in the upper right corner of my desktop stating I needed to restart my browser for an update to take effect. I could see the mouse cursor and move it around. However, no keyboard commands seemed to work, and I could not click on anything with the mouse. It was just a black screen.

Luckily, I am paranoid, and I cloned my system to a different drive a while back just in case this ever happened. I rebooted (had to hard restart again) and I selected the backup. Booted up fine. I ran to disk utility and ran the repair function on the original boot drive. Tried to restart there again. Same issue as before. I am wondering what may have caused this? I can work on it for today, and then tonight I can just reclone my backup boot drive over the original so I am not in danger of losing any data or anything like that. Just wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening in the future. I have had the system running stable and rock-solid for about 6 months, and nothing has changed recently. The original boot drive is mounted on my desktop and I can browse the contents of it with no problems.

This is OS 10.12.2, fyi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sounds like you computer updated while you were sleeping. Possibly to 10.12.6. Check your
Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 10.01.17 AM.png
Sys Pref settings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back