Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Booting alternates between Recovery mode and OpenCore picker (which fails)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
My rig was working great except for some random crashes, so I wanted to remove AppleGFXHDA.kext. I followed this guide and now I can't fully boot:

1. OpenCore boot picker comes up, I select partition, boot only lasts a moment before rebooting and going straight into Recovery. In verbose, here is the final moment:
2022-10-24 21.45.34.png

2. Computer restarts and goes straight into macOS Recovery Mode.
3. I reboot and it shows me the picker again.

I have a feeling it was that "bless" command at the end of the guide.

I've tried:
- restoring the EFI from a few hours ago when things were working
- putting the AppleGFXHDA.kext back where it was, using Finder on another computer

I'm desperate, thank you!

Edit: I disabled SecureBootMode and am getting further in the boot process... until this

2022-10-24 23.04.11.jpg

Last edited:
My rig was working great except for some random crashes, so I wanted to remove AppleGFXHDA.kext. I followed this guide and now I can't fully boot:

1. OpenCore boot picker comes up, I select partition, boot only lasts a moment before rebooting and going straight into Recovery. In verbose, here is the final moment:
View attachment 556801
2. Computer restarts and goes straight into macOS Recovery Mode.
3. I reboot and it shows me the picker again.

I have a feeling it was that "bless" command at the end of the guide.

I've tried:
- restoring the EFI from a few hours ago when things were working
- putting the AppleGFXHDA.kext back where it was, using Finder on another computer

I'm desperate, thank you!

Edit: I disabled SecureBootMode and am getting further in the boot process... until this

View attachment 556802

Which version of OpenCore are you using?

You might have some luck with my EFI folder, after inputting your own Platform/Generic strings into the blank fields I send you. This folder is from my computer at left. You would also need to replace my USBPorts.kext with your own.

Attachments

• 0.8.5 MM EFI.zip
    5 MB · Views: 22
Solved by booting into Recovery Mode and re-installing Monterey. Took a two tries to install... and then macOS took two tries to boot, but then it was buttery smooth after that. if you get stuck just try a few times and sometimes it may just magically work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back