Contribute
Register

Booting after updating from 6600K to 7700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I built a Hackintosh with a VIII Impact and a 6600K processor. I went for the 6600K instead of the 6700K because 6700K was sold out at the time.

I used this guide for the most part - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

They had a deal for the 7700K this year, and it's supposed to work with the Z170 chipset after updating the BIOS, so went for it. I also updated from the GTX 1080 to 1080 ti.

First, Clover disappeared as a boot option. I was able to fix that using Clover's CLI by re-adding it.

Now when I boot it locks up on the login screen - no users show up at all. If I boot with the USB, which I freshly created using Unibeast 7, it boots, but my nvidia drivers won't load and everything is very buggy.

So far I have:

- Updated the Fake CPU ID
- Removed the SSDT that was for the 6600K (plan to generate a new one)
- Updated Clover using Clover Configurator

(Important to note when I set this up originally I had to do NVRAM emulation)

I have Sierra 10.12.6

And it still wont boot. At this point I'm wondering if I should start over and do a new installation. But if I do so I don't want to mess with my Windows 10 installation that I have on the same drive.

Last year I built a Hackintosh with a VIII Impact and a 6600K processor. I went for the 6600K instead of the 6700K because 6700K was sold out at the time.

I used this guide for the most part - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

They had a deal for the 7700K this year, and it's supposed to work with the Z170 chipset after updating the BIOS, so went for it. I also updated from the GTX 1080 to 1080 ti.

First, Clover disappeared as a boot option. I was able to fix that using Clover's CLI by re-adding it.

Now when I boot it locks up on the login screen - no users show up at all. If I boot with the USB, which I freshly created using Unibeast 7, it boots, but my nvidia drivers won't load and everything is very buggy.

So far I have:

- Updated the Fake CPU ID
- Removed the SSDT that was for the 6600K (plan to generate a new one)
- Updated Clover using Clover Configurator

(Important to note when I set this up originally I had to do NVRAM emulation)

I have Sierra 10.12.6

And it still wont boot. At this point I'm wondering if I should start over and do a new installation. But if I do so I don't want to mess with my Windows 10 installation that I have on the same drive.

You should not need to use a Fake CPUID if you are using Sierra 10.12.6. The OS has native Kaby Lake support.

After you update the BIOS did you set the required BIOS settings again?

@LukeSc, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back