Contribute
Register

Bootable backup of Clover-based install - How to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Hp
CPU
Intel
Graphics
ATi
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have built a properly functioning hackintosh using Clover and Yosemite.

My question is what do I need to do to get a bootable backup of the system??

Before, with Chimera I would just use CCC to backup the single partition to a USB drive, then install the Chimera bootloader on the USB drive. This seemed to work to create a USB bootable backup.

With Clover, it seems I have 2 partitions with one of them being the uEFI partition.
So:
Does my target USB drive also need 2 partitions created?
Do I backup both partitions separately?
Do I need to install Clover after the backup to make one of these partitions bootable?

How do others make a USB bootable version of a Clover-based hackintosh?

I've got to believe I'm not the only one wondering about this... I've looked for answers but really didn't find any. Inquiring minds want to know :confused:

Thanks
-= SomeHuman =-

Clover only uses the EFI partition. You can install Clover on your clone and copy your EFI folder from the original drive to the clone if you want the identical settings on both. Your cloning software should create the EFI partition automatically as part of the cloning.

Clover only uses the EFI partition. You can install Clover on your clone and copy your EFI folder from the original drive to the clone if you want the identical settings on both. Your cloning software should create the EFI partition automatically as part of the cloning.

Actually, CCC does a volume by volume clone, not a full drive clone. So you do need to create the EFI partition on the target drive before cloning, format it using "newfs_msdos -f 32 -v EFI /dev/diskns1", install Clover to the target drive (to get the boot sectors written properly), and then copy the working "CLOVER" folder (so you'll have the right configuration) from your boot drive's EFI partition to the clone's EFI partition.

Actually, CCC does a volume by volume clone, not a full drive clone. So you do need to create the EFI partition on the target drive before cloning, format it using "newfs_msdos -f 32 -v EFI /dev/diskns1", install Clover to the target drive (to get the boot sectors written properly), and then copy the working "CLOVER" folder (so you'll have the right configuration) from your boot drive's EFI partition to the clone's EFI partition.

Ah, missed that. Was thinking SuperDuper the whole time.

I use Apple software raid 0 so I actually have Clover installed on an m.2 drive as my permanent, but separate boot drive so I don't have to worry about making my clones or working drive bootable.

I create a script to backup the entire OSX Disk using Rsync... With my clover bootloader, I can boot with the cloned disk...

It's working...

Take a look here:
https://github.com/rafaelbiriba/ORB-osx-rsync-backup

I could not get this script to work
sudo ./orb /Volumes/macOS/ /Volumes/OSX/

Executing...

rsync: --acls: unknown option

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/main.c(1337) [client=2.6.9]

any ideas?

Executing...

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/rsync/rsync-51/rsync/main.c(1337) [client=2.6.9]

any ideas?
I got the same exact error when attempting to run it.

Executing...

any ideas?

I got the same exact error when attempting to run it.

I just create an issue for that:
https://github.com/rafaelbiriba/ORB-osx-rsync-backup/issues/1

I will work on it this weekend. Thanks for report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back