Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Probook 450 G5 (Clover)
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
Intel 620, 1920x1080
Recently, I've seen a couple of users fail when using the boot0 Error Guide. I have a couple of suggestions to improve it.

1. Regarding the command: dd if=/Volumes/"Unibeast Volume Name"/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
since the Unibeast drive is the boot drive, the first part of that command is not necessary and if the user forgets the exact name of the Unibeast drive, he could screw up the command.

The command can be safely shortened to: dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

2. The partition disk0s2 may be the wrong partition for everyone. The user may have multiple hard drives, or worse, if disk0s2 is a Windows partition, the command could mess up the Windows boot loader.

I suggest that while the user is in Disk Utility, he look up the correct partition identifier for the command before unmounting the partition.

So, I suggest the following modifications to the boot0 Error Guide procedure, starting with step 4:

4. Reboot system back into OSX installer
5. Go to the Utilities menu and launch Disk Utility
6. On the left, click on the OSX partition
7. Go to the Toolbar and click on "Get Info"
8. Find the item for "Disk Identifier" and write it down
9. Go to the Toolbar and click "Unmount"
10. Quit Disk Utility
11. Go to the Utilities menu and launch Terminal
12. Execute the following command, BUT substitute your Disk Identifier for "disk0s2":
Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
13. Exit Terminal
14. Reboot normally

Recently, I've seen a couple of users fail when using the boot0 Error Guide. I have a couple of suggestions to improve it.

1. Regarding the command: dd if=/Volumes/"Unibeast Volume Name"/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2
since the Unibeast drive is the boot drive, the first part of that command is not necessary and if the user forgets the exact name of the Unibeast drive, he could screw up the command.

The command can be safely shortened to: dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

2. The partition disk0s2 may be the wrong partition for everyone. The user may have multiple hard drives, or worse, if disk0s2 is a Windows partition, the command could mess up the Windows boot loader.

I suggest that while the user is in Disk Utility, he look up the correct partition identifier for the command before unmounting the partition.

So, I suggest the following modifications to the boot0 Error Guide procedure, starting with step 4:

10. Quit Disk Utility
12. Execute the following command, BUT substitute your Disk Identifier for "disk0s2":
Code:
13. Exit Terminal
14. Reboot normally

Hi,
Fantastic - Excellent guide. This helped fix the boot0 error issue I'd been experiencing.
The identifier on my install was 'disk3s2' (no idea how these numbers are allocated).
Anyway your step by step guide has fixed the boot issue.
A huge thank you.

Helping guide, unfortunately, I've wrongly entered the command dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 instead of dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk1s2, and now, I cannot access my windows Data partition, please help me recovering my Data or accessing my Data partition. Thanks.

10. Quit Disk Utility
Code:
13. Exit Terminal
14. Reboot normally

So the disk I need to put in the "dd" command is the disk that OSX is installed on? In my case that will make the command "dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s7"

Ok, this is officially my first post in this forum - been around for about 2 weeks now. Frustrated, plain ol mad at times - but not today! It had to happen some day - just had to bust that cherry on this thread. Even though it's been a while since this post was made; it is definitely relevant.

I, like so many of my peers in this forum got the same error "Boot0..." This being my very first Hackintosh, I ran straight to the forum and searched it out... :) Found this thread, I executed the fix and bam! My oldie but goodie puter booted right up.

I said "relevant" earlier because, after the fix I booted straight into the Sierra Desktop without the assist of the USB loader :).

So happy, thanks so much for making this post so many years ago :)

Here's the specs in case anyone is curious;

MB - Asus Sabertooth x58 (b.1304)
CPU - Intel i7 950
MEM - 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 (now that I've installed everything, i'll add 5x2gb more modules for a total of 12GB
Graphics Card - wait for it... "Nvidia 460 GTX SE" YES!!

I cant even tell you what a pain that GPU gave me when I tried to install ML. Never got the graphics to run natively. This time around with Sierra, it worked right out of the box! Damn, I cant believe it's me saying that hehe :). The installer made it through on the first try, no flags required and after this correction - I booted right into Sierra. AWESOME! The guide for Sierra is perfect minus this one little hiccup :)

So again... Thanks so much rlf156 - great post! You rock man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back