i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I recently built my first hackintosh with the configuration you see in the signature.
It was mostly a smooth sail with the following caveats:

Before installing AMD GPU:
- intel GPU with 7 MB video memory (fixed)
- horrible screen flickering with system definition 18.x (fixed with 17.1)
- audio working only via 3.5 mm jack, didnt have usb speakers to test
- audio not working via HDMI

After installing AMD GPU:
- black screen at boot after apple loading screen

Things tried so far:
- disabled AMD GPU in BIOS, boots fine with integrated graphics
- with iGPU set to AUTO or ENABLED it boots to black screen
- with main GPU set to AMD i get stuck after apple logo with the black screen
- added lilu and whatevergreen in /Clover/kexts/Other - didnt work
- tried patching through clover with 'Inject Ati' and 'DeInit', but no result

Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

UPDATE:
- reinstalled mac os with the cable plugged plugged in the GPU
- installation went fine, without injecting whatevergreen or adding any other bootflag
- upon first boot, the system recognized the GPU out of the box. i didnt do any benchmarks to see if it's actually working.
- system definition i use is imac 14,2. if i use any other definition i get the black screen before getting to log in screen

Persistent issues:
- MultiBeast is not working when APFS is used, there are no options when it asks for install location
- as a consequence I get no sound
- still trying to figure out how to skip APFS conversion, I dont know the right order (when to run the script at step9 in the install guide), so my partition is always APFS.

Didnt have that much time to tinker around, so this is it for the moment.
Also, is there any way to convert from APFS to HFS without having to reinstall?

A few things:

1. You need to use iMac 18,3 SMBIOS which is the closest to a real iMac with an RX GPU. Even if the RX560 is not on the iMac, it will work.
2. Enable iGPU (even if you are not going to use it)
3. Put nVidiaGraphicFixup.kext into your EFI\OTHER folder

That should solve your problems.

I had to revert to the iMac 14,2 system definition on MyHero II system upon updating to 10.13.4 (now on 10.13.5) as somehow my DP ports became unusable with the iMac 18,3 SysDef. So, you should stick with the iMac14,2 SysDef. BTW, processor power management works fine with 14,2. So, sometimes the tonymacx86 MultiBeast default SysDef works on just about every hackintosh running 10.11 - 10.13.

I bought a ATI RX560 2GB graphic card, It make me cazy to make it works.

RX560 can be work on 10.13.X. Now I am using 10.13.5 and so far so good.

The build in video bios of RX560 is the main cause of the dark screen. Different brand name of RX560 is flashed different video bios, we also use diffenent framebuffer will cause some works fine and others none.

We need two steps to make RX560 works

1) Try to use diffenent video bios file if your machine cannot go into install and reboot continuesly when you pugin RX560

a. Use Cover to read out your video bios
b. Use AMDframebuffer tools to read the bios files
c. You can see the bios file ID
d. Download the other brand video bios from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...el=RX+560&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
e. Find a same ID video bios file with using AMDframebuffer tools. rename the file with ID XXXX_XXXX.rom and put it into the cover ROM folder.
f. Cover select Load vbios in Graphic. It will load automatically and we don't need to flash the display card.
g. If it still reboot continuesly, try another brand video bios files. Mine use Medion RX560 2G video bios and stopped reboot.

2) If you can go into install but with dark screen, that means you use the unsuitable framebuffer. The system default load "Acer" framebuffer for you but the Medion bios will outcome dark screen. I need to select "Duckweed" in framebuffer of Cover Graphics, don't select EDID, don't input ram size, ports and graphic ID. Select inject ATI and RadeonDeinit. Don't need to patch in Cover KernelAndKextPatches. Remember to put Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts into cover other, Cover boot need to add "-Lilubetaall radpg=15"

It's my case. May be different for you. If you stopped at apple logo, may be select -v in Cover boot. It will show the message at the boot. If it outcome reboot continusly, use the above 1) method.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.2 MB · Views: 278
I bought a ATI RX560 2GB graphic card, It make me cazy to make it works.

RX560 can be work on 10.13.X. Now I am using 10.13.5 and so far so good.

The build in video bios of RX560 is the main cause of the dark screen. Different brand name of RX560 is flashed different video bios, we also use diffenent framebuffer will cause some works fine and others none.

We need two steps to make RX560 works

1) Try to use diffenent video bios file if your machine cannot go into install and reboot continuesly when you pugin RX560

a. Use Cover to read out your video bios
b. Use AMDframebuffer tools to read the bios files
c. You can see the bios file ID
d. Download the other brand video bios from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...el=RX+560&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=
e. Find a same ID video bios file with using AMDframebuffer tools. rename the file with ID XXXX_XXXX.rom and put it into the cover ROM folder.
f. Cover select Load vbios in Graphic. It will load automatically and we don't need to flash the display card.
g. If it still reboot continuesly, try another brand video bios files. Mine use Medion RX560 2G video bios and stopped reboot.

2) If you can go into install but with dark screen, that means you use the unsuitable framebuffer. The system default load "Acer" framebuffer for you but the Medion bios will outcome dark screen. I need to select "Duckweed" in framebuffer of Cover Graphics, don't select EDID, don't input ram size, ports and graphic ID. Select inject ATI and RadeonDeinit. Don't need to patch in Cover KernelAndKextPatches. Remember to put Lilu and Whatevergreen kexts into cover other, Cover boot need to add "-Lilubetaall radpg=15"

It's my case. May be different for you. If you stopped at apple logo, may be select -v in Cover boot. It will show the message at the boot. If it outcome reboot continusly, use the above 1) method.

Hello, share please
AMDframebuffer tools. I can not find the latest version of the program. Thanks in advance. Good and useful post.

@Stork does changing SMBIOS have any other possible side effects? Like for Sleep/Wake? I am facing Boot to Black Screen and always like to run the minimum possible ammount of Kexts for compatibility. Will try it tomorrow to see if it solves my problem.

Looking at Solution 2 from @kwai888 would it be the same configs for a Gigabyte RX560 OC 4Gb?

In principle both solutions would accomplish removing the boot to black screen after apple progress bar, correct?

@Stork does changing SMBIOS have any other possible side effects? Like for Sleep/Wake? I am facing Boot to Black Screen and always like to run the minimum possible ammount of Kexts for compatibility. Will try it tomorrow to see if it solves my problem...
For our Z68 based systems we now have to use iMac14,2 which is the default for MultiBeast as it works for just about every system. (Remember, we use to use MacPro3,1 before Sierra? MP3,1 is not supported in Sierra and newer, so thus the use of iMac14,2.) If you're using onboard graphics then an iMac14,1 would work.

For our Z68 based systems we now have to use iMac14,2 which is the default for MultiBeast as it works for just about every system. (Remember, we use to use MacPro3,1 before Sierra? MP3,1 is not supported in Sierra and newer, so thus the use of iMac14,2.) If you're using onboard graphics then an iMac14,1 would work.

So you would still advise me to use 14,2 for my newer Z370 + RX 560 build to fix the Black Screen after apple issue? I am not with access to the machine today but will give it a try tomorrow

So you would still advise me to use 14,2 for my newer Z370 + RX 560 build to fix the Black Screen after apple issue? I am not with access to the machine today but will give it a try tomorrow
I recommend you always start with the MultiBeast default SysDef as it is widely tested by us. That's what I used with MyHero II until Apple fixed some bugs in HS. I'm now running iMac18,3 w/o any problems with MyHero II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back