Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

First a little background on my situation:
In customary hackintosh fashion, I've been wrestling for several weeks with the resolution of the boot sequence on my hack. I've gone through every imaginable solution that I've come across. What I've come to understand is there are two things between me and a full screen 1080p bootup:

1. My Nvidia card locks VESA resolutions above 1280x1024 when using a HDMI connection.
2. There is no 1920x1080 resolution available in my card's VESA bios table.

There was a third barrier that I seemed to have sorted out. That is, my gtx 570 always displayed black bars around the boot screen regardless what resolution I picked in the chameleon theme. Both 16:9 and 4:3 resolutions were always scaled to fit in the same rectangle centered on screen regardless of the actual pixel resolution of the images.

In order to fix this scaling, I used NiBitTor to edit my card's bios where I enabled an option for Non-native Panel Control. This gives me a 1:1 pixel ratio during boot so that I no longer have generic black bars, but the actual correct pixel resolution that displays 1280x1024 pixels as real pixels and not a stretched image. Now my only problem is getting a VESA mode of 1920x1080 so that I can take advantage of the removed scaling feature of my GPU during boot.

This is where my skills are severely lacking and I need help from smarter people. In order to remove the VESA limitation of 1280x1024 px while connected via HDMI, I think I need to disassemble my card's BIOS and patch it as this person did here:

http://rayer.ic.cz/hardware/gf7900gt.htm#VBE_HACK

Can anyone help me remove this limitation in my card's bios? I have no idea how to reverse engineer a ROM like that. I assume once the HDMI limitation is removed, adding the 1920x1080 VESA resolution to the bios can be simply done with some hex editing. I'm not sure if the new resolution has to be added within the disassembled ROM or if I can just add it after recompiling it. When I try to hex edit my bios now, the new VESA resolution does not appear in chameleon and I assume it's because I'm connected via HDMI and the card is blocking any higher values.

Any help or direction would be appreciated. I've tried hex editing just about every file associated with the boot process and I'm convinced that my problem is the limitation of HDMI and VESA modes of my card. Thank you.

I am very interested in a solution, too!

hey i had/have the same problems with my 5870 and i fixed the VESA res by following this guide its for ATI but it might help you find out where you can get a alternative nvidia tool. so now i have a 1920x1080 bios, bootloader and macosx loading screen but it is centered in the middle of my 1920x1080 dell monitor -.- could you please show me the guide you followed to fix this with your nvidia card? thanks :)

which guide are you talking about, itsnotreallyme?

ItsNotReallyMe said:
hey i had/have the same problems with my 5870 and i fixed the VESA res by following this guide its for ATI but it might help you find out where you can get a alternative nvidia tool. so now i have a 1920x1080 bios, bootloader and macosx loading screen but it is centered in the middle of my 1920x1080 dell monitor -.- could you please show me the guide you followed to fix this with your nvidia card? thanks :)

I assume you are referring to hex editing the Vesa BIOS modes of your amd card? I tried that but it either didn't work for nvodia cards or the hdmi connection I use nullified any changes. I think it only works for dvi or vga connections. Anyway to get a 1:1 pixel ratio on boot i just checked the option i mentioned using a video bios editor. There really isnt a guide.

For others bothered by back bars, another option that I use now is to change the loading screen backgroung to black so that the bars dont show. To do this you have to edit the chameleon bootloader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back