Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte gaz170x-ud5
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
Radeon VII
I Recently installed linux mint on a separate drive (also have windows 10 on a 3rd) windows and macOS have been fine as long as i disable the Catalina SATA drive when windows updates. After installing linux the BIOS boot menu showed grub boot options for my catalina drive. Catalina did boot after installing linux a couple times.
At this point I have physically disconnected all drives to get my system back to base of only clover macos drive connected (BIOS still shows grub/ubuntu boot options) and i get to the apple screen with no progress bar annnnnd freezes.
I have tried -v boot args..... I got no text output computer went straight to apple screen frozen
I tried -x to boot in safe mode and same thing.

Im open to pretty much any option upto and including just doing a fresh install but prefer not to
(i do have a backup of my data... tried to boot that same thing.)

IDK how but i think grub caused this issue any tips on a fix to aviod clean install would be awesome.

Check your Mac OS drive EFI partition for a Linux folder. If you selected the EFI partition to install Grub UEFI mode then it usually installs in the active EFI partition, which would probably be the Mac OS drive ESP.

I tried that and apparently deleted something I shouldn't have(I have CCC clone). I did that on windows which gives me limited EFI access. Im going to grab a sata usb dock and connect the hackintosh drives my macmini. Mount em with umount efi and try to figure out what is wrong in there. At least in macOS environment I should have full access, windows limits what I can doin mac EFI partition.

If i trashed my EFI partition can I just rebuild it?

I tried that and apparently deleted something I shouldn't have(I have CCC clone). I did that on windows which gives me limited EFI access. Im going to grab a sata usb dock and connect the hackintosh drives my macmini. Mount em with umount efi and try to figure out what is wrong in there. At least in macOS environment I should have full access, windows limits what I can doin mac EFI partition.

If i trashed my EFI partition can I just rebuild it?
You cannot trash the EFI partition unless you reformat the drove or use a command line disk management tool to delete the partition. You can trash the EFI folder in the EFI partition if you want. Back it up first before you delete it. You would then need to reinstall Clover and the EFI Grub boot loaders, edit your config.plist and add kexts as required for your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back