Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 580
I’m having to replace my MB and processor, but the drives are all intact. I know that I can follow the Dortonia Guide and build an OC EFI folder on a Windows machine… but is there any way to make a bootable USB drive with that EFI folder without having to install Mac OS? Just so I can get the machine booted and swap out the EFI folder on my actual boot drive?

Guess not?

Yes, if I understand what you are asking correctly.

You have a a dead system that doesn't affect the drives. So you want to use the existing drives in a new build.

That is fine all you need to do is correct the SMBIOS data to reflect the new system motherboard and CPU. So if you are moving from a Skylake iMac17,1 SMBIOS to a system using a Coffee Lake refresh MB & CPU you would need to use the iMac19,1 or similar.

The macOS drive, assuming it is of a recent version should be fine. You would need to use the CleanNvram and ResetSystem tools while on the OC boot screen, before booting your existing macOS drive with the new config.plist.

Yes, if I understand what you are asking correctly.

You have a a dead system that doesn't affect the drives. So you want to use the existing drives in a new build.

That is fine all you need to do is correct the SMBIOS data to reflect the new system motherboard and CPU. So if you are moving from a Skylake iMac17,1 SMBIOS to a system using a Coffee Lake refresh MB & CPU you would need to use the iMac19,1 or similar.

The macOS drive, assuming it is of a recent version should be fine. You would need to use the CleanNvram and ResetSystem tools while on the OC boot screen, before booting your existing macOS drive with the new config.plist.
Thanks!

@Edhawk So… my rig is being rebuilt as I speak with the Gigabyte Z490 I Aorus Ultra MB. But the tech says the M.2 adapter that fit my BCM94360CS2 WiFi/Bluetooth card into my old motherboard is just slightly too big for the M.2 slot on the new one. So… is there a newer adapter for this MB? Or will the onboard WiFi/BT work? What’s my move here? Thanks!

Last edited:
Not heard of a M.2 adapter not fitting before, so no idea if there is a smaller one that fits your new motherboard. There are different 'Key' types that don't fit in specific M.2 connectors, but usually they are all one standard size.
  • Your new motherboard has 3 x M key M.2 'Socket 3' PCIex4/SATA connectors for NVMe drives.
  • Plus a CNVI connector for the Intel WiFi/BT card.
  • If you previous motherboard had a M.2 'Socket 1' connector, that may be why your adapter doesn't work with the new Intel CNVi connector.
Here is an explanation of the different socket types.

M.2 connectors on the host are called "sockets." Each socket has a unique mechanical key, and modules are not interchangeable between sockets. According to PCI Express M.2 Specifications Rev. 1.1, the sockets are distinguished as follows:
  • Socket 1: Connectivity socket for Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, NFC (near-field communication) or Wi-Gig.
  • Socket 2: WWAN/SSD/Other Socket that will support various WWAN+GNSS (global navigation satellite system) solutions, various SSD and SSD Cache configurations, and other yet-undefined solutions. (If the motherboard has a Socket 2 for a WWAN card and it is not in use, the socket may accommodate a B+M-keyed small M.2 SSD. Please refer to your motherboard documentation for details).
  • Socket 3: SSD Drive Socket with SATA or up to four PCIe lanes.
Common Socket types are B, E and M.

Screenshot 2022-03-08 at 18.16.45.png Socket 'Key' types

The built-in Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201

This may work in macOS with either Itlwm.kext or AirportItlwm.kext. See link below for details of the kexts and installation etc.

The AX201 card is listed in the compatibility page under the # mvm-gen-2 section. It just depends on which generation card your motherboard uses.

The Intel bluetooth can also work with macOS, but again subject to the generation of the card, Gen3 cards are not currently supported. See link below for details and installation instructions.

Thanks, @Edhawk ! A lot of info to unpack. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back