Contribute
Register

Boot picker and Chime not working Opencore on Catalina 10.15.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again esafeddie! Its finally working. I discovered a typo in config. One letter off (fat finger) and once I corrected it all good. Also looking at yours allowed me to tweak mine so its now a little faster on boot

Nice going my friend, it all looks a bit over whelming at first but once you get into it a lot of things becomes clearer. Enjoy :thumbup:

Absolutely not as a matter of fact I think Apple dropped the BootChime feature with the new Macs but I had it in Clover and kind of missed it also to prove to myself I can get it to work in OC :)

I can't get it to work with my 7700k and rx580. If I post my OC efi folder, mind taking a look?
It's one of those things I don't need. But, while some people play a game for hours collecting all the baubles I want to get this working :D

Last edited:
I can't

I can't get it to work with my 7700k and rx580. If I post my OC efi folder, mind taking a look?
It's one of those things I don't need. But, while some people play a game for hours collecting all the baubles I want to get this working :D

The codec entry for your sound card is very important which you should be able to find easily. Sure post your folder and I can take a look but dare I say no promises as your board and mine are not the same bit I will do my best to see where the problem is for you.

The codec entry for your sound card is very important which you should be able to find easily. Sure post your folder and I can take a look but dare I say no promises as your board and mine are not the same bit I will do my best to see where the problem is for you.
Thanks a lot, man.

Attachments

• problemfiles for sbeaber4.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 94
Thanks a lot, man.

Hi mate you had quite a few mistakes in your folder which I've now corrected towards getting Boot-Chime to work.
There was no BootChimeDxe.efi in the Drivers Folder and also not in the config.plist (corrected).
Even though you had AudioDxe.efi in the Drivers Folder, the entry was not in the config.plist (corrected)

On another note not related to your initial problem, looking at your ACPI SSDT entries you have a lot of unnecessary files that are not being used (enable=No) these can be removed from both the config.plist and the ACPI Folder. They are just a drag on the system being there. I did not remove them, that decision is up to you.

Attached is the revised EFI Folder, so hopefully Boot-Chine should work now, may I suggest you slightly lower the volume on your system as it can be quite loud. Before I forget, you have two audio files in the Resources Folder which won't be used by OC at this stage I don't think but I did not remove them.

Before using the revised folder, please make a usb copy of your current EFI Folder. Good luck.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.1 MB · Views: 156
Hi mate you had quite a few mistakes in your folder which I've now corrected towards getting Boot-Chime to work.
There was no BootChimeDxe.efi in the Drivers Folder and also not in the config.plist (corrected).
Even though you had AudioDxe.efi in the Drivers Folder, the entry was not in the config.plist (corrected)

On another note not related to your initial problem, looking at your ACPI SSDT entries you have a lot of unnecessary files that are not being used (enable=No) these can be removed from both the config.plist and the ACPI Folder. They are just a drag on the system being there. I did not remove them, that decision is up to you.

Attached is the revised EFI Folder, so hopefully Boot-Chine should work now, may I suggest you slightly lower the volume on your system as it can be quite loud. Before I forget, you have two audio files in the Resources Folder which won't be used by OC at this stage I don't think but I did not remove them.

Before using the revised folder, please make a usb copy of your current EFI Folder. Good luck.

Thanks dude! It didn't work but I appreciate the help. If something comes to you let me know. It's not much of a deal.
Your way is a little different than the OC guide:

So to start, we'll need a couple things:

• Onboard audio output
    • USB DACs will not work
    • GPU audio out is a hit or miss
  • AudioDxe in both EFI/OC/Drivers and UEFI -> Drivers
  • Binary Resources
    • Add the Resources folder to EFI/OC, just like we did with the OpenCore GUI section
    • For those running out of space, OCEFIAudio_VoiceOver_Boot.wav is all that's required for the Boot-Chime
  • Debug version of OpenCore with logging enabled
Settings up NVRAM:

• NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:
    • SystemAudioVolume | Data | 0x46
    • This is the boot-chime and screen reader volume, note it's in hexadecimal so would become 70 in decimal
Setting up UEFI -> Audio:

• AudioCodec:
    • Codec address of Audio controller
    • To find yours:
      • Check IORegistryExplorer -> HDEF -> AppleHDAController -> IOHDACodecDevice and see the IOHDACodecAddress property
      • ex: 0x0
        • Can also check via terminal(Note if multiple show up, use the vendor ID to find the right device)l:
  • ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep VendorID // List all possible devices

ioreg -rxn IOHDACodecDevice | grep IOHDACodecAddress // Grab the codec address

• Audio Device:
    • PciRoot of audio controller
    • Run gfxutilto find the path:
      • /path/to/gfxutil -f HDEF
      • ex: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)
  • AudioOut:
    • The specific output of your Audio controller, easiest way to find the right one is to go through each one(from 0 to N - 1)
    • ex: 2
      • You can find all the ones for your codec in the OpenCore debug logs:
06:065 00:004 OCAU: Matching PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)/VenMsg(A9003FEB-D806-41DB-A491-5405FEEF46C3,00000000)...
06:070 00:005 OCAU: 1/2 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)/VenMsg(A9003FEB-D806-41DB-A491-5405FEEF46C3,00000000) (5 outputs) - Success

• AudioSupport:
    • Set this to True
  • MinimumVolume:
    • Volume level from 0 to 100
    • To not blow the speakers, set it to 70
    • Note boot-chime will not play if MinimumVolume is higher than SystemAudioVolume that we set back in the NVRAM section
  • PlayChime:
    • Set this to True
  • VolumeAmplifier:
    • The Volume amplification, value will differ depending on your codec
    • Formula is as follows:
      • (SystemAudioVolume * VolumeAmplifier)/100 = Raw Volume(but cannot exceed 100)
      • ex: (70 x VolumeAmplifier)/100 = 100 -> (100 x 100) / 70 = VolumeAmplifier = 142.9(we'll round it to 143 for simplicity)

It says nothing about theBootChime.efi and requires the .wav in resources. Neither your way or their way worked. But no stress. No big deal.

Thanks dude! It didn't work but I appreciate the help. If something comes to you let me know. It's not much of a deal.
Your way is a little different than the OC guide:

It says nothing about theBootChime.efi and requires the .wav in resources. Neither your way or their way worked. But no stress. No big deal.

Sorry man I really thought I'd nailed it but no stress, OC is still progressing and Open Canopy is not fully supported as yet. Hopefully soon at the final release all Platforms will have a clearer picture of the procedure to enable that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back