Contribute
Register

Boot macOS 10.15.6 on HP Spectre with OpenCore (converting from Clover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Feartech, I've identified the following 2 "issues" // points where it slows down:
1. Just after selecting to boot the macOS partition, it freezes there on a black screen for about 20 seconds before reaching the "preboot" I believe (Before this text starts to appear on screen)View attachment 487473
2. Then it appears to boot normally, with no much hassle, until it freezes for about 10-15 seconds here:
View attachment 487477
All the rest appears to happen "normally"
try disabling:
AppleDebug
ApplePanic

disable these:
Code:
<key>Tools</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Not signed for security reasons</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>UEFI Shell</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>OpenShell.efi</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>CleanNvram</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>CleanNvram.efi</string>
            </dict>

test without:
darkwake=0 boot argument

try disabling:
AppleDebug
ApplePanic

disable these:
Code:
<key>Tools</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Not signed for security reasons</string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>UEFI Shell</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>OpenShell.efi</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Arguments</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Auxiliary</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string></string>
                <key>Enabled</key>
                <true/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>CleanNvram</string>
                <key>Path</key>
                <string>CleanNvram.efi</string>
            </dict>

test without:
darkwake=0 boot argument
Perfect, now it instantly starts everything, the 20 secs it stayed freezed on a black screen before entering verbose mode are gone! However, it still freezes for about 10-15 seconds in the point 2 I commented earlier (removing the OpenShell.efi and CleanNvram.efi didn't affect at all, I've therefore reintroduced them). But very pleased with the boot time already (about 35-40 seconds from OpenCore to the log in screen). Thank you!!!

Also, if you don't mind helping me a little bit further, I would like to pass from Clover to OpenCore on my internal NVME drive definitively. However, when I do so (following the Dortania Guide on how to do so), or manually copying the EFI folder from my booter USB to the internal EFI partition (I was currently using an external USB to load macOS which is on the internal NVME), and I reboot, OpenCore is loaded correctly, but with a small keyboard icon at the top right of my screen. The problem here is that whenever I try to boot from internal drive (from OpenCore but with the keyboard icon), it won't boot.
IMG_3697.jpg

For clover, the solution for this issue (which also used to happen) was to replace the BOOTX64.efi with a PreLoader.efi which would then load BOOTX64.efi (this could only be obtained from Linux)...
I do have this PreLoader.efi file, but with OpenCore it doesn't seem to work properly, still getting this keyboard icon...
When loading in verbose mode, I get stuck here:
IMG_3699.jpg

And finally, I'm loading the VoodooI2 + VoodooI2CHID, and VoodooPS2Controllers kexts. On clover, all these are properly loaded and I get to have my touchscreen working + configurable Trackpad panel in the Settings Panel, whereas with OpenCore, the touchscreen capabilities don't work at all and I can't set up the trackpad from the Settings Panel because it's waiting for a "bluetooth trackpad". Using exactly the same kexts! Not sure if the load order is critical, but I've also tried different combinations with no success.
I attach my booter USB EFI folder in case it is useful (with Clover folder on it too).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    26.1 MB · Views: 116
Perfect, now it instantly starts everything, the 20 secs it stayed freezed on a black screen before entering verbose mode are gone! However, it still freezes for about 10-15 seconds in the point 2 I commented earlier (removing the OpenShell.efi and CleanNvram.efi didn't affect at all, I've therefore reintroduced them). But very pleased with the boot time already (about 35-40 seconds from OpenCore to the log in screen). Thank you!!!

Also, if you don't mind helping me a little bit further, I would like to pass from Clover to OpenCore on my internal NVME drive definitively. However, when I do so (following the Dortania Guide on how to do so), or manually copying the EFI folder from my booter USB to the internal EFI partition (I was currently using an external USB to load macOS which is on the internal NVME), and I reboot, OpenCore is loaded correctly, but with a small keyboard icon at the top right of my screen. The problem here is that whenever I try to boot from internal drive (from OpenCore but with the keyboard icon), it won't boot.
View attachment 487487
For clover, the solution for this issue (which also used to happen) was to replace the BOOTX64.efi with a PreLoader.efi which would then load BOOTX64.efi (this could only be obtained from Linux)...
I do have this PreLoader.efi file, but with OpenCore it doesn't seem to work properly, still getting this keyboard icon...
When loading in verbose mode, I get stuck here:
View attachment 487486

And finally, I'm loading the VoodooI2 + VoodooI2CHID, and VoodooPS2Controllers kexts. On clover, all these are properly loaded and I get to have my touchscreen working + configurable Trackpad panel in the Settings Panel, whereas with OpenCore, the touchscreen capabilities don't work at all and I can't set up the trackpad from the Settings Panel because it's waiting for a "bluetooth trackpad". Using exactly the same kexts! Not sure if the load order is critical, but I've also tried different combinations with no success.
I attach my booter USB EFI folder in case it is useful (with Clover folder on it too).
i have not seen that keyboard icon before

with opencore, your kext list is important, VoodooI2C kexts needs to be listed in a particular order, maybe propertree snapshot feature will put them in the correct order

but yes, normally you would mount the main hard drive, delete the efi folder and then copy EFI folder from mounted usb/external drive

with opencore, your kext list is important, VoodooI2C kexts needs to be listed in a particular order, maybe propertree snapshot feature will put them in the correct order

but yes, normally you would mount the main hard drive, delete the efi folder and then copy EFI folder from mounted usb/external drive
I think it’s something related to the HP Spectre, thus the PreLoader.efi I was telling you about...
Will try to check/try again the VoodooI2C issue...
Thank you anyway for everything!!! Will try to investigate what this keyboatd icon could mean and let you know in case I figure it out!

Hello! after investigating as much as I could, I've found that this is a bug which affects certain HP laptops... The workaround until know was to use the PreLoader.efi one could obtain from linux, but this workaround doesn0t work for OpenCore... any ideas? I've done some research but haven't been able to find anything! Maybe the answer is that it's impossible to get some HP running macOS boot loading directly from the internal drive?

Hi @Aleixjf22 were you able to get OC boot from internal Ssd?
No, not at all... only from an external USB...

In order to boot from Internal SSD, so far, I have only succeeded with Clover and the PreLoader.efi file

In order to boot from Internal SSD, so far, I have only succeeded with Clover and the PreLoader.efi file
Have you tried Clover 5126 or similar. I am trying to update to this version with Catalina but I am getting KP for graphics. You probably already know that this version has OC core used within it. it worked with PreLoader from internal SSD but I am still to resolve the KP.

Will attach problem reporting files here or start a new thread later today.

I was able to get the clover 5126 work with Catalina and BigSur
Just had to add the quirks to the config.plist in clover and update them as recommended.
WEG 1.4.4 was giving KP both with Catalina abd Big Sur. So had to downgrade to 1.4.3. The VoodooI2C and companion kext did not work with Big Sur so had to remove it.

Big Sur works but the refresh rate is only 40Hz. I am sticking to Catalina until next WEG update.

I was able to get the clover 5126 work with Catalina and BigSur
Just had to add the quirks to the config.plist in clover and update them as recommended.
WEG 1.4.4 was giving KP both with Catalina abd Big Sur. So had to downgrade to 1.4.3. The VoodooI2C and companion kext did not work with Big Sur so had to remove it.

Big Sur works but the refresh rate is only 40Hz. I am sticking to Catalina until next WEG update.
Could you upload your EFI folder that is working with clover version and Big Sur, please ? Or maybe you found solution with OpenCore. I have exactly same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back