Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU
Intel i7 3770
Graphics
Asus GTX 970
Hi everyone,

I got my hackintosh up and running on OS X Sierra and it is working great so far. I'm now trying to upgrade to High Sierra. I did everything exactly like it is described here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/.

In step 6 I choose the Boot MacOS Option and the apple logo with the loading bar shows up but the process shuts down halfway through the process, the computer restarts and goes through the same process. I tried to activate (-v) in order to see what's happening and you can see the outcome in the photo attached. Seems to be some kind of kext error, but I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong.

Any advice here? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 185
Hi everyone,

I got my hackintosh up and running on OS X Sierra and it is working great so far. I'm now trying to upgrade to High Sierra. I did everything exactly like it is described here:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-high-sierra.232707/.

In step 6 I choose the Boot MacOS Option and the apple logo with the loading bar shows up but the process shuts down halfway through the process, the computer restarts and goes through the same process. I tried to activate (-v) in order to see what's happening and you can see the outcome in the photo attached. Seems to be some kind of kext error, but I don't have any idea what could have gone wrong.

Any advice here? Thanks.

• Are you able to boot back to your previous macOS Sierra even though you could not upgrade the system to macOS High Sierra??

• If you can clearly state what EXACTLY you did for the step that says
    2. Open Clover configuration folder on the root of your system drive or EFI Partition using EFI Mounter v3. Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/. If you need essential kexts, download them here.
    , we may be able to find the cause and fix the issue.

I did everything exactly like it is described
means the GUIDE is wrong. In that case there must be a larger number of failed upgrades from using that guide which is not actually reported in this Forum.

• Most problems are from User related errors.
    • The best way to get a faster resolution for the problem is to describe in detail all the steps to the point of failure.
    • Upload screen shots to support and supplement the descriptions and conclusions of the post.
  • My own personal view based on the uploaded image is a failure to install Nvidia Webdriver for the macOS high Sierra version or failure to add NvidiaGraphicsFixup. kext and /or latest Lilu.kexts to CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Having the same problem I think, also on a 67 board - however I am able to select my working Sierra.

Question - how are you supposed to install Nvidia Webdriver for HS before actually installing HS?

Also - how do I get rid of the "macOS Install" option from my clover screen to just get back to normal and try fresh?

Having the same problem I think, also on a 67 board - however I am able to select my working Sierra.

Question - how are you supposed to install Nvidia Webdriver for HS before actually installing HS?

Also - how do I get rid of the "macOS Install" option from my clover screen to just get back to normal and try fresh?
Do not hijack another user's thread - Start a new one of your own.

Hi everyone and thanks for the answers so far. I really appreciate it.

I'm still able to boot to my regular Sierra and I can use that just like I used it before.

In step two (I might have gotten this one wrong, so correct me if that is a case) I opened clover configurator and mounted the EFI Partition. And went to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/. I couldn't find the kexts I had for macOS Sierra, so I just downloaded the essential ones and put them there. Picture is attached. So I might have gotten this wrong but I believe those were the kexts I had for Sierra as well.

By the way I didn't want to implicate that the guide was wrong, I'm pretty sure that this is a failure on my side.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-28 um 11.11.02.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-28 um 11.11.02.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 138
Hi everyone and thanks for the answers so far. I really appreciate it.

I'm still able to boot to my regular Sierra and I can use that just like I used it before.

In step two (I might have gotten this one wrong, so correct me if that is a case) I opened clover configurator and mounted the EFI Partition. And went to /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other/. I couldn't find the kexts I had for macOS Sierra, so I just downloaded the essential ones and put them there. Picture is attached. So I might have gotten this wrong but I believe those were the kexts I had for Sierra as well.

By the way I didn't want to implicate that the guide was wrong, I'm pretty sure that this is a failure on my side.

• I think now you are moving along nicely. Your currently uploaded image shows you have the required kexts including the ones for your Graphics in CLOVER/Other.
  • Although the GUIDE doses not mention this, in my experience, the empty numbered folders 10.6 to 10.13 in /CLOVER/kexts are just an unnecessary drag on the bootloader which has to go and check these folders and find no kexts to load and to finally find the required kexts in /CLOVER/Other. The numbered folders serve no useful purpose sitting there ahead of /Other only as distractions. I make it a point to Right click the whole bunch and "Send To Trash" leaving only the properly stocked /CLOVER/Other as kext repository for Clover bootloader to load during its boot from Clover Boot Manager screen to make use of the hardware in the System for USB installer to reach the Installation screen [ Please remember the same step will be required for the System Hard Disk once its macOS Sierra installation and CLOVER installation are completed for that to reach its destination screen, i.e. the login screen]
  • Another step not mentioned in your post and hopefully properly setup is the contents of /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI . This folder just like /CLOVER/Other is a very important one and if its contents are not properly chosen Boot failure from Kernel Panic can occur BEFORE the USB installer reaches the CBM screen or after it is booted from CBM screen. This folder needs the right APFS file for the version of High Sierra that is inside the USB installer to be copied to the target Hard disk. All the files in this folder are important in one way or the other.
  • One important step you have not mentioned is the way the config.plist is modified to make use of the kexts in CLOVER. config.plists sections like ACPI, Boot, Devices, Gui, Graphics, Rt Variables, SMBIOS and System Parameters can all affect booting . Hopefully you have configured all those section properly. [I often ask for CLOVER sent as compressed file to the Forum for checking the whole thing]
  • Only way we can help you to figure out any problem is by your detailed posts with uploaded screen shots for analysis of the problem and suggest the best step to proceed. Please note the USB installer relies heavily on the BIOS choices you have made for the USB installer to use the hardware for MacOS boot. The installer Guide mentions this in general terms but it can not be specific for all Motherboards from all manufacturers. The user has to use judgement and search from the forum how others have used BIOS options for the board used.
Good luck

Alright, I've sent the other folders to the trash now. I copied the apfs.efi file to /CLOVER/drivers64UEFI just like described in the guide. I have a screenshot attached. There might be something wring with the config.plist, but I'm not sure about that. It always worked fine on macOS Sierra so I don't know. I have the config.plist from /EFI/Clover/ attached.

About the BIOS choices: I believe they should be right, because I did not change them from the last time when I installed macOS Sierra.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-29 um 09.58.40.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2018-01-29 um 09.58.40.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 96
  • config.plist.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 43
I remembered that for macOS Sierra it worked when I set nv_disable=1 in clover for the boot. The result is attached. Does this change anything?

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
I remembered that for macOS Sierra it worked when I set nv_disable=1 in clover for the boot. The result is attached. Does this change anything?
  • This last image that says "missing or damaged OSInstall.mpkg" is the result of a series of missteps or incorrect inputs in CLOVER in the Installer disk that has already corrupted the target hard disk during the earliest part of copying files from the Installer USB disk to the Target System hard disk.
  • A checkup of your uploaded drivers64.uefi folder contents and config.plist does confirm multiple errors.
  • The remedy is :
    • Creation of a new macOS High Sierra Installer disk using CreateInstallMedia command in Terminal in a Mac or Hack.
    • Proper installation of latest Clover.EFI on the USB installer
    • Subsequent careful editing of the entire CLOVER i.e. /drivers64UEFI/ CLOVER/kexts/Other ( as you have done,) editing of all sections of config.plist.
  • I have uploaded edited screen shots of what has gone wrong using your uploads.
  • During install the Target HDD must be REFORMATTED to clean it up completely from all previous wrong installation files.

Attachments

• 1.:CLOVER:drivers64UEFI.png
    1.:CLOVER:drivers64UEFI.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.Unneeded ACPI Fixes.png
    2.Unneeded ACPI Fixes.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 3.Boot.png
    3.Boot.png
    278 KB · Views: 218
  • 4.Devices.png
    4.Devices.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 5.Gui.png
    5.Gui.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 6.Graphics.png
    6.Graphics.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 7.SMBIOS.png
    7.SMBIOS.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 8.System Parameters .png
    8.System Parameters .png
    259.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Just to get this right, I'll entirely wipe the HDD and reinstall everything from scratch with the corrected settings of the photos you attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back