Contribute
Register

Boot loader problems

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello, I have an HP Probook 4430s that I used fine for a couple years but now I'm having boot loader issues. I did have a 320GB disk and an i3 cpu in it at this time. For a year or 2 I ended up using Linux only and since then I have also upgraded the HDD to a 500GB as well as upgrading the CPU to an i7 quad core. I recently decided to go back to triple booting with Linux, OSX 10.8 and Windows 7. Here comes the issue. In the past I used Chimera as a legacy loader with MBR and it would boot all 3 OS's just fine but now I get a kernel panic when trying to boot OSX with it but Windows and Linux boot OK. Alternatively I decided to enable UEFI in the BIOS and install Clover but it will only boot OSX and does nothing while trying to boot Windows & Linux. I have tried a fresh install of these OS's on this 500GB HDD as well as restoring an old backup from a time when Chimera worked with all 3 with neither one working. I admit it has been quite a while since I have messed around with any of this stuff so any advice I can get on having a single boot loader work with all 3 OS's would be great. Thanks!

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello, I have an HP Probook 4430s that I used fine for a couple years but now I'm having boot loader issues. I did have a 320GB disk and an i3 cpu in it at this time. For a year or 2 I ended up using Linux only and since then I have also upgraded the HDD to a 500GB as well as upgrading the CPU to an i7 quad core. I recently decided to go back to triple booting with Linux, OSX 10.8 and Windows 7. Here comes the issue. In the past I used Chimera as a legacy loader with MBR and it would boot all 3 OS's just fine but now I get a kernel panic when trying to boot OSX with it but Windows and Linux boot OK. Alternatively I decided to enable UEFI in the BIOS and install Clover but it will only boot OSX and does nothing while trying to boot Windows & Linux. I have tried a fresh install of these OS's on this 500GB HDD as well as restoring an old backup from a time when Chimera worked with all 3 with neither one working. I admit it has been quite a while since I have messed around with any of this stuff so any advice I can get on having a single boot loader work with all 3 OS's would be great. Thanks!
Your laptop has a guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Thanks for the link RehabMan! In the meantime before seeing this I decided to start a new, I used PartedMagic to wipe this disk and create a GPT table. I then loaded up this 10.8 installer that I have on USB. I followed this guide to a tee. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-to-installing-mountain-lion-on-hp-probook.77057/ I installed 10.8 and then ran 10.8.5 combo update without rebooting and also ran Probook Installer I think maybe version 6.1.13r3 or something. Anyway I end up with an error GPT test test error and Chameleon doesn't boot. I am so frustrated over this stuff right now! I read something about how it could be due to a 4k hdd instead of a 512k. I no longer have the original 10.8 installer file to create a new unibeast disk as I saw somebody posting as part of a solution. I have a USB that has the 10.8 installer on it already that I used last time a few years ago...

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I would like to boot from Chameleon with MBR if possible. At this point I could install Clover if I use the USB to get into the system. Do I do a normal clover install or install to the EFI partition? If I were to install clover is there a way I can get it to boot my MBR Win7 & Linux? Why install Clover? Previously I was able to boot all 3 OS's with Chameleon. This is the error I get with a fresh install of 10.8 updated to 10.8.5 with Probook Installer installed.

Attachments

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I just tried installing Clover as Boot0AF & Boot0SS and now I just get another error that the boot device cannot be found and install an OS to the hard disk...

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Just installed the latest Clover to the ESP EFI partition. For some reason it defaulted to a christmas theme. Anyways I can boot OSX without the help of a USB disk. Now I have a feeling that if I install OS#2, Windows, that it is either going to screw up the boot process or this EFI Clover will not work with my MBR copy of Windows.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
My copy of Windows can only be installed to MBR I have to use gptsync to do a hybrid GPT/MBR on it to install. Can EFI Clover even boot MBR partitions?

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
It literally says you cannot install to a GPT partition so what I have to do is load up PartedMagic, open a terminal and run gptsync /dev/sda and this creates a hybrid GPT / MBR so that I can install Windows. This is part of the reason that I was hoping that I could get Chameleon to boot OSX because I'm sure that even if this EFI boot doesn't get botched it will still not boot my Windows once installed.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
And as I suspected. The EFI bootloader shows Windows on Legacy HD3 with 1 being EFI & #2 being the Mac Partition but when selecting it, it does nothing... So frustrated! About ready to give up on this Apple junk unless somebody has some real answers. Why is it so difficult to have 1 bootloader be able to boot all 3 OS's???

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Help me out RehabMan! I'm frustrated as all hell! I'm not an amateur, I'm actually a PC tech but my health has been degrading & I don't remember as much as the first time I set this up. My Win7 & Linux need MBR, is it possible to still boot OSX off of MBR without a kernel panic, Or is it possible to use that EFI clover to boot MBR partitions? Plenty of questions... I just want 1 boot loader that can boot all 3 OS's. I mostly use Linux but it would be nice if I could also have easy access to OSX & Windows without having to go into the bios and disabling EFI just to get into Windows & Linux and then enabling it just to get into OSX.