Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I've had a stable build running for almost two years, and recently decided to add an additional 16GB of RAM to my existing 16GB. I bought the exact same kind of RAM as was already in the machine. After adding the new memory, the machine fails to boot - won't even go to BIOS, and nothing appears on the monitor. It just loops on and off until I turn off the power supply.

The computer works fine if I remove 1 of the 8GB memory sticks, bringing my total to 24GB. I changed the BIOS setting from the "Turbo" memory enhancement to "Normal" and had the system running stably with all 32GB of RAM for a few days, but it has now failed. I have done some research and experimentation, and it appears it is some sort of BIOS issue, but I don't have the expertise to sort it out.

Some people have mentioned adjusting the timings on the memory, but when I attempted that I experienced boot failure. Stock timings on the memory are 10-10-10-27.

Specs:
Gigabyte Z77-UP5-TH
Intel i7-3770k (3.5 GHz)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
Running 10.8.5

Any wisdom anybody could offer would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Doug

What PSU? Have you run your hardware thru a PSU size calculator again to make sure you have enough power? I would suggest a Corsair HX750 or smaller wattage, but still in the HX series, if using internal gfx in the CPU.

Thanks for reaching out. I'm using the "CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE" power supply. I ran my rig through a Power Supply calculator and didn't come anywhere close to the handling capability of the power supply. I did add an additional 7200 RPM SATA disk when I added the RAM, but that drive has been working fine.

Overall I have a simple setup: standard desktop motherboard, 1 CPU, 4 sticks of DDR3 ram, no optical/floppy drives, a couple of case fans, a wifi card via PCIe, 1 SSD boot drive, 2 HDDs at 7200 RPM, and running on the internal graphics from the motherboard.

I'll experiment ASAP with removing the additional HDD - perhaps this will prove or disprove that it's a power issue.

Thanks,
Doug

Thanks for reaching out. I'm using the "CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE" power supply. I ran my rig through a Power Supply calculator and didn't come anywhere close to the handling capability of the power supply. I did add an additional 7200 RPM SATA disk when I added the RAM, but that drive has been working fine.

Overall I have a simple setup: standard desktop motherboard, 1 CPU, 4 sticks of DDR3 ram, no optical/floppy drives, a couple of case fans, a wifi card via PCIe, 1 SSD boot drive, 2 HDDs at 7200 RPM, and running on the internal graphics from the motherboard.

I'll experiment ASAP with removing the additional HDD - perhaps this will prove or disprove that it's a power issue.

Thanks,
Doug
I am having Sierra on DH61HO Motherboard with i3 processor I have been using with 8gb of ram I just now upgraded another 8gb . kernel panic is coming , as I remove the ram it works fine and I tried reinstalling macOS but I cant even boot into the installation setup as kernel panic comes with Sierra installer and restarts as I used high Sierra installer

My doubt is , weather the power unit we use plays here in my case .
if not can anyone suggest me any best ideas

@selvamanisekaran, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

dschadt was last seen: Oct 9, 2016 ;)

@selvamanisekaran, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard (Mobo).

dschadt was last seen: Oct 9, 2016 ;)
Motherboard : DH61HO
Processor : Intel i3 3rd gen
Graphics card: Nvidia quadro 600
RAM:Transcend 8gb ram 1333mhz x2 = 16gb RAM
Hard disk : SSD

I am having Sierra on DH61HO Motherboard with i3 processor I have been using with 8gb of ram I just now upgraded another 8gb . kernel panic is coming , as I remove the ram it works fine and I tried reinstalling macOS but I cant even boot into the installation setup as kernel panic comes with Sierra installer and restarts as I used high Sierra installer

My doubt is , weather the power unit we use plays here in my case .
if not can anyone suggest me any best ideas
Bro, can u please let me know how to install sierra. I am using same system as yours.

@Karthikbhupathy, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card.
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back