Contribute
Register

Boot Chimera with Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 / SSD from Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1.0 F13 BIOS, 24GB RAM
CPU
Xeon X5675 OC 4.37GHz
Graphics
9800 GTX+ 512MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Anyone have any tips for my Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Award BIOS F12) to boot Chimera from a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB drive attached to the Apricorn Velocity Solo x2 SATA3 PCIe card? I can't boot from it, as the BIOS does not recognize the drive in the Boot Priority list, but once booted to another drive via Windows 7, this system can see the Apricorn-connected drive and allows read/writes to it. Note I've tried putting Bootable Add-In Cards at the top of the Boot Priority list in the BIOS, and I've even tried disconnecting all but drives but the one connected to the Apricorn PCIe card to no avail.

The Apricorn supposedly has the Marvell 9182 chipset, while my older GA-EX58-UD5 only has SATA2 ports (using Intel + JMicron chipsets), and, get this....

I CAN BOOT Chimera from the same SATA 3 drive using a DIFFERENT PCIe card with an ASM1061 SATA3 chipset (!!), the BIOS sees the drive in the Boot Priority list, and I see it loading ASM 1061 info before going into Chimera. That said, the performance on the ASM1061 card seems limited to 420MB/s Read, 388MB/s Write speed, whereas the 850 Pro 512GB theoretically should get up towards 550/520. This is why I want to use th

Any one have any tips to get my BIOS to see this drive connected to the Apricorn?

Thanks in advance,
-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back