Contribute
Register

BoomR's “Power UP” for 360/VR Production Build: GA-Z370 AORUS UG - i7 8700K - GA AORUS RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry - for some reason I'm not getting email notifications on new posts... will have to check into that.

I know this is going to sound sort of stupid, but try it anyway (this fix recently fixed a video/black screen issue for me on a new GA-X299 build I'm working on- might work here for your TB):
  1. Power down & remove your TB AIC...then re-seat.
  2. Without anything plugged into your TB card, reboot, and go into the BIOS.
  3. Save & Exit > Load Optimized Settings (or whatever it is).
  4. Now, go back & plug in the recommended BIOS settings, triple-checking EVERYTHING (including the TB menu > "security" mode to "Legacy" - or whatever it's called...I'm doing this from memory LOL)
  5. Reboot & get to the macOS desktop. Now, restart.
  6. At the Clover boot screen, press the spacebar...or an arrow key, or something other than "Return" - this will freeze any boot countdown delay that you may have set.
  7. NOW, plug in your TB device, and then continue to boot into macOS.
I'll be curious to know if this helps. Let me know!
--B
Thanks for the idea, BoomR! Honestly, I don't know whether it did or didn't solve the issue. Here's why: I followed your procedure to the letter with no difference; I still needed to boot into Windows to connect to my Apollo, then restart and warm boot into my Mac installation.

But......the BIOS version (F7) was the version the mobo came with. Mind you, it worked flawlessly for 6 months. However, I decided since I was shooting in the dark anyway I would check to see if there was a later BIOS. The latest is F11, so I flashed it and....voila, back to normal! Actually better than normal, because for some reason my Apollo was only recognized on port 1 of the Alpine Ridge card, but after flashing it is recognized on both 1 and 2.

All I can think of is something hidden got sideways in the old BIOS that didn't effect anything else except TB communication in a Hackintosh install. Go figure!. Anyway, working as expected now.

Different question though: there is a BIOS setup option for something processing"above 4G". Do you know what that is about and does it affect Hacks?

hi Oscarat50

use noVPAjpeg.

Here

Or use an imacPro SMBIOS
+1 on noVPAjpeg. For my build, it requires all of the following so that Preview works and FCP boots:
  • iGPA set to Auto
  • Latest Whatevergreen
  • Latest Lilu
  • Latest noVPAjpeg
(all kexts in Clover > Kexts > Other)

My system is configured like this and all is working fine right now... FWIW...

Thanks for the idea, BoomR! Honestly, I don't know whether it did or didn't solve the issue. Here's why: I followed your procedure to the letter with no difference; I still needed to boot into Windows to connect to my Apollo, then restart and warm boot into my Mac installation.

But......the BIOS version (F7) was the version the mobo came with. Mind you, it worked flawlessly for 6 months. However, I decided since I was shooting in the dark anyway I would check to see if there was a later BIOS. The latest is F11, so I flashed it and....voila, back to normal! Actually better than normal, because for some reason my Apollo was only recognized on port 1 of the Alpine Ridge card, but after flashing it is recognized on both 1 and 2.

All I can think of is something hidden got sideways in the old BIOS that didn't effect anything else except TB communication in a Hackintosh install. Go figure!. Anyway, working as expected now.

Different question though: there is a BIOS setup option for something processing"above 4G". Do you know what that is about and does it affect Hacks?
Yes - you should have this setting enabled. This plays into the whole issue of upper memory allocation errors that cause a halt when trying to boot. I think the setting is on the Peripherals page of the BIOS for this board (and similar)

+1 on noVPAjpeg. For my build, it requires all of the following so that Preview works and FCP boots:
  • iGPA set to Auto
  • Latest Whatevergreen
  • Latest Lilu
  • Latest noVPAjpeg
(all kexts in Clover > Kexts > Other)

My system is configured like this and all is working fine right now... FWIW...

Hi, thanks for all the help.
This worked :)

Hi

just tried the new Bios (F13b)...

But it does not work (for me).
Maybe a few more details on the exact steps in your process might help us troubleshoot a little better....?? For example, after you updated to F13b, what were your immediate next steps after the system reboot upon completion of the flashing?

Hi @BoomR! A few days ago I tested the last BIOS of Gigabyte, but unfortunately breaks the boot of macOS. The same happens with the latest BIOS version of all MB of the Gigabytes Z370 series.
The last one working for us is the F12. For the Thunderbolt hotplug, however, you need the F10 ;)

Hi @BoomR! A few days ago I tested the last BIOS of Gigabyte, but unfortunately breaks the boot of macOS. The same happens with the latest BIOS version of all MB of the Gigabytes Z370 series.
The last one working for us is the F12. For the Thunderbolt hotplug, however, you need the F10 ;)
Well, this isn't good news. And I'm not going to have time to test this for a while, as I'm in the middle of a video edit project.

FWIW... my rule of thumb has always been: Unless a new BIOS turns on features you need, or fixes things that are broken, I always simply stick with the latest version that makes my build work.

This is not entirely true. See my post above (#341) for the issue (and solution: latest BIOS) I was having with a build based on a Z370XP SLI.

This is not entirely true. See my post above (#341) for the issue (and solution: latest BIOS) I was having with a build based on a Z370XP SLI.
The latest BIOS for the Z370XP SLI is the F12b, and most likely does not work, as happened to me with the F13b on the Z370 Ultra Gaming, and to others who tried to install the latest F##b version.
In your case I suggest you try the F8: this version, together with an SSDT should enable the Thunderbolt hotplug also in your MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back