Contribute
Register

BoomR's “Power UP” for 360/VR Production Build: GA-Z370 AORUS UG - i7 8700K - GA AORUS RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also happy to say that I've completed this build successfully! Thank you so much for you guide @BoomR

Running High Sierra 10.13.3 on iMac18,3
BIOS version F7h

The only big difference is using a NVIDIA 1080 Ti instead of an AMD GPU, the hardware is as follows:
  • Intel Core i7-8700K CPU
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 32GB RAM
  • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G GPU
  • Gigabyte GC-ALPINE RIDGE Thunderbolt 3
  • Corsair RM650x Power Supply
  • Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD (for MacOS)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (For Windows)
  • Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler
  • Fractal Design Define C Case
Notes during install: I did not select any Graphics Configurations in MultiBeast for the NIVIDIA GPU. On first boot into the system the GPU isn't recognised but using Benjamin Dobell's nvidia-update (topic) getting the right driver for the system is as easy as every.

As I just finished the build I haven't been able to really test the system for longer periods, but everything seems smooth. Thunderbolt 3 works great on MacOS, tested with a Caldigit TS3 Plus. I dual boot Windows (for gaming) & MacOS (for video editing/color grading) through Clover. To get rid of useless boot entries I disabled them in Clover Configurator (GUI section). What does happed every now and then it that MacOS boots into the Prohibitory symbol. I'm not sure why this happens, but a reboot always helps.

To disable the stupid LEDs on the Motherboard an GPU I've installed the AORUS Graphics Engine (download here) for Windows. I don't have a window in my case an find light coming out of my PC not really appealing :p

Benchmarks:
Geekbench: 5903 Singlecore, 27691 Multicore
Cinebench: 135 fps, 1412cb
Blackmagic Disk Speed Test: 2048 MB/s Write, 2928 MB/s Read

Last edited:
"...What does happed every now and then it that MacOS boots into the Prohibitory symbol. I'm not sure why this happens, but a reboot always helps.

If by prohibitory symbol you mean a circle with a slash through it, you might want to try booting with a -v (verbose), and see if you are getting the message "does printf work" when it stops loading.....if so, there's a few threads on how to get rid of that. I use AptioMemoryFix, but if you look, you will find other solutions too.

"...What does happed every now and then it that MacOS boots into the Prohibitory symbol. I'm not sure why this happens, but a reboot always helps.

If by prohibitory symbol you mean a circle with a slash through it, you might want to try booting with a -v (verbose), and see if you are getting the message "does printf work" when it stops loading.....if so, there's a few threads on how to get rid of that. I use AptioMemoryFix, but if you look, you will find other solutions too.

I thought I was getting that "ghostbuster" ("prohibited") alert due to me not unplugging my TB device(s) before I boot up, but then the problem started getting more frequent & happened with nothing plugged into TB port. I did a search for that same "does printf work" message, and someone said to add the boot argument: slide=0 -- it has something to do with memory allocation, and this fixed the problem for me. Not sure if it's the BEST solution, but it works. Just check the box in Clover Configurator:
Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 3.46.14 PM.png

I will have to try the AptioMemoryFix - just a quick verification: Use this **instead** of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi...?? I think I recall reading that you shouldn't try using both of these. If that fixes the issue, then I'll make sure to update my build instructions. THANKS!!
--B

I thought I was getting that "ghostbuster" ("prohibited") alert due to me not unplugging my TB device(s) before I boot up, but then the problem started getting more frequent & happened with nothing plugged into TB port. I did a search for that same "does printf work" message, and someone said to add the boot argument: slide=0 -- it has something to do with memory allocation, and this fixed the problem for me. Not sure if it's the BEST solution, but it works. Just check the box in Clover Configurator:
View attachment 317305

I will have to try the AptioMemoryFix - just a quick verification: Use this **instead** of OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi...?? I think I recall reading that you shouldn't try using both of these. If that fixes the issue, then I'll make sure to update my build instructions. THANKS!!
--B

So, I got the "does printf work" hell, and I switched to AptioMemoryFix (Release 15), which fixed it for me, but I know Pastrychef has had good luck with OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi instead. So choose one, not both. And, in addition, for some, adding slide works, and for others, removing slide works (go figure....), for others, using Fix3 works and for me, Aptio works best. The final fallback is OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, but then you probably have to go back to loading emu too....

@vulgo posted something about this and he implied it has to do with the prelinked kernel, but for me, once AptioMemoryFix worked, and worked on both of my boards, that's when I just accepted that as a solution and moved on.

Here's AptioMemoryFix R15 (and I've tested it, and its working on both my X99 and Z370 boards - both in production).

Oh, and one more thing is you probably want to enable 4G encoding if you use AptioMemoryFix (which as you use TB3, I suspect you already have enabled).

Attachments

• AptioMemoryFix.efi_R15.zip
    18.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Would the Asus ThunderboltEX3 card work in this built instead of the Gigabyte one? I cant find any of the Gigabyte cards on sale in the UK.

Anyone else having a "extreme" long boot time? Longer than a minute? The load bar underneath the Apple logo takes forever to load.

Would the Asus ThunderboltEX3 card work in this built instead of the Gigabyte one? I cant find any of the Gigabyte cards on sale in the UK.

Probably......but no guarantees.....Frys' here in the US has a bunch of them (the Gigabyte TB card), but shipping to the UK (if they would do it) might not make it very affordable.

On Frys it says not available.

To-do list
Video rendering: I need to verify h.264 and h.265 (HEVC) rendering. I’ve read a couple threads where there may be some artifacts or issues with Coffee Lake + AMD + HS. The person who reports this also supplied instructions on how to fix this. Stay tuned.
May I ask where I can find more info about this issue and its fix?
I'm gonna build something like this specifically for FCP, so this is a basic requirement for me.
Also, If I buy a different model of Rx 580 8GB can I still follow this guide or it is going to be a problem? Rx580 is almost completely out of stock in Europe, so I may be forced to buy whatever i find.

May I ask where I can find more info about this issue and its fix?
I'm gonna build something like this specifically for FCP, so this is a basic requirement for me.
Also, If I buy a different model of Rx 580 8GB can I still follow this guide or it is going to be a problem? Rx580 is almost completely out of stock in Europe, so I may be forced to buy whatever i find.
The threads I was reading were on other forums outside of Tonymacx86.com. I'm sure if you did a couple "creative" Google searches for other "hackintosh" forums, you'll run across the same posts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back