Contribute
Register

bluetooth working in lion 10 7 3 {extreme :-}

Status
Not open for further replies.
nikstar said:
Songokussm said:
a much, much easier and safer way, would be to not install the blueking bluetooth driver and just use a usb bluetooth dongle. No way you can damage anything, and it works the same way. The laptop basically just doesnt know about the internal bluetooth.

No, actually you are wrong. There is no way to prevent OSX from "seeing" the internal BT. Even if you disable it at bios, OSX see it.
The only way is to remove it, but the BT is together with the Wifi, so this is a solution (quite extreme). I would prefer one that can be reversed, like cutting only a line at that board or something similar, so you can solder it back in case you will need it.

this is possible, just find out what chip it is, find specifications for the chip and cut the power pin on the card. New card cost about 16 Euro so even if you brake it then no big deal.

another way is to disable the BT chip mechanically and get a original (USB) BT from a MBP like some do for MiniITX builds and install it in the case somewhere but then don't know if will work in Win7 or Ubuntu.

Or just buy a USB BT dongle and still install it in the case if the MBP usb board wont work under win7 or ubuntu

But then you will need a Wifi card too.
How to remove only the BT?

nikstar said:
But then you will need a Wifi card too.
How to remove only the BT?

not the card just remove/disable the chip from the card

nikstar said:
No, actually you are wrong. There is no way to prevent OSX from "seeing" the internal BT. Even if you disable it at bios, OSX see it.
The only way is to remove it, but the BT is together with the Wifi, so this is a solution (quite extreme). I would prefer one that can be reversed, like cutting only a line at that board or something similar, so you can solder it back in case you will need it.

The Bluetooth is powered by the USB lines provided on the mini pci-e port. If you want to permanently disable it you should better tape the USB pins than taking the chip off.
If anybody needs info on how to do it I can upload pics

i would be interested which pins provide the power for the Bluetooth

timohour said:
The Bluetooth is powered by the USB lines provided on the mini pci-e port. If you want to permanently disable it you should better tape the USB pins than taking the chip off.

if you can provide info on the mini pci-e port USB connection this would help.
What I mean is take the USB pins from the mini pci-e port that go to the BT chip on the cart and make a connector for a USB Dongle.

timohour said:

Yes. Nice thought :clap:
This gave me the an idea. Can we use this USB interface from Mini PCI-E slot as a USB header?
Can we connect any USB device we want or will be rejected by bios?

Edit: We had the same idea :D

The only difference is that USB from pci-e provides 3.3 volts compare to 5v from common USB ports.
It is not a big deal because I am thinking to put an internal Apple BT that uses USB protocol and 3.3 volts.
Off curse if it is possible because of bios.

Strange thing are happening at my 4530. I barely shutting it down cause I usually put it to sleep and the last 2-3 times I wake it from sleep the BT (USB Dongle) works!

So I checked the System profiler and the internal BT is not been seen from the Lion!
Weird :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back