Contribute
Register

Bluetooth recognition times (keyboard, trackpad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aeorus Master
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

my Hackintosh system (GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770k, OCZ Vertex 4, 32 GB G.Skill Ares 1333Mhz) works fabulously.
I use an old Belkin Bluetooth dongle (Broadcom chip, BT 2.0) which works fine with my Apple BT keyboard and trackpad.
The keyboard even wakes the system from sleep just fine.

Keyboard and trackpad are about two feet away from the BT dongle with a clear line of sight.

One question though: after boot and after wakeup the system takes about 30 seconds to one minute to connect the keyboard and trackpad.
This looks strange to me, as i.e. during wakeup the keyboard was able to trigger the wakeup. Still it remains unusable for 30-60 seconds after the login screen is displayed.

Is this a normal behavior or is this something that can be optimized (i.e. with another BT dongle or some system settings)?

Cheers,

John

I had this exact same behaviour when I upgrade to ML.

I was using the rocketfish BT adapter. I was surprised few others had this problem.

Also, wake from sleep wasn't working at all (ever) for magic trackpad, and the apple wireless keyboard, with this adapter. But otherwise, it was good.

So I went out and bought the IOGear model tony lists in the recommended build.

Works flawlessly. Best $15 bucks I've spent.

Mike,

thank you for that ! I was never sure if I'm looking at a hardware or software issue.
The IOGear GBU 521 or the Jabra A320s are a bit hard to get here in Europe, but I just ordered both from the US.

Cheers,

John

Hi there,

my Hackintosh system (GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770k, OCZ Vertex 4, 32 GB G.Skill Ares 1333Mhz) works fabulously.
I use an old Belkin Bluetooth dongle (Broadcom chip, BT 2.0) which works fine with my Apple BT keyboard and trackpad.

Keyboard and trackpad are about two feet away from the BT dongle with a clear line of sight.

One question though: after boot and after wakeup the system takes about 30 seconds to one minute to connect the keyboard and trackpad.
This looks strange to me, as i.e. during wakeup the keyboard was able to trigger the wakeup. Still it remains unusable for 30-60 seconds after the login screen is displayed.

Is this a normal behavior or is this something that can be optimized (i.e. with another BT dongle or some system settings)?

Cheers,

John

By the way, before my hackintosh, I had windows 7 with same hardware configuration...it took 30-60 seconds to wake up...

Hi there,

Cheers,

John
I too had this problem.

Also, if you search the Apple Support forums, you will find real mac users who upgraded to 10.8.2 are complaining and there's no solution yet.

I found this this fix (DISABLE Internal CPU PLL Over voltage in the BIOS): :idea:

I have Z77X-UP5-TH, and in my bios (F12e), I found the settings here:
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features > INTERNAL CPU PLL OVERVOLTAGE

I have Apple Bluetooth USB adapter (taken from a macbook & custom built into a USB dongle) and a Apple wireless keyboard. Even these two had the 30-40 second lag after waking from sleepe - very annoying :banghead:
But now, after disabling Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage, the keyboard and mouse instantly wake and work
:headbang:

I have not had the time yet to measure the effect of disabling the Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage on overclocking.
I am overclocking my i7-3770K to 4.6Ghz (Geekbench score 17401) and the system is very stable.
Temp peaks to 91Deg C running Prime95 with 8 threads - and I am using watercooling - H100i !

Also, I have no idea why/how this fix affects wake-from-sleep.

So....before you go and buy another bluetooth dongle, just try disabling the Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage.

By the way, before my hackintosh, I had windows 7 with same hardware configuration...it took 30-60 seconds to wake up...
I'm curious: is this 30-60 seconds to "wake up", or for the bluetooth devices to "connect"?

This issue I was having (and I think the OP as well) was that, after boot or wake, my apple magic trackpad and apple wireless keyboard would "connect" after about 60 seconds delay, i.e. the on-screen "Connected" message then appears on the screen after a 60 second delay. This is the same message you would receive when powering-on the device.

...I have Apple Bluetooth USB adapter (taken from a macbook & custom built into a USB dongle) and a Apple wireless keyboard. Even these two had the 30-40 second lag after waking from sleep...
May I ask the same question? Was the "30-40 second lag" then followed by the "Connected" message, the same message you would receive when powering-on the device?

Hi !

yes, the issue I was referring is the re-connect of bluetooth devices (trackpad, keyboard) after wakup (or boot).

Scenario:
Hackintosh is in sleep mode.
Press any key on apple bluetoth keyboard.
Hackintosh wakes up, login screen is displayed (this takes about 2-5 seconds)
BT Keyboard and Trackpad are not usable (while a USB cable keyboard does work, so the system is up and awake).
After about 30-60 seconds the BT devices become active. I'm not sure if I see the "connected" message on screen everytime. But sometimes I definetly do see that.

I do have Internal CPU PLL Over voltage disabled in the BIOS.

Currently I have two commonly recommended BT adapters on order for testing (GBU521 and A320S). They should arrive mid January. I will report back shoudl I see a difference with those.

Cheers,

John

May I ask the same question? Was the "30-40 second lag" then followed by the "Connected" message, the same message you would receive when powering-on the device?
No. Mine appears to be connected. The mouse and keyboard were just not responsive (or sluggish). Sometimes, the mouse pointer would move on mouse movement but most of the time, nothing would happen until about 30s had passed and then it would functional again. Same with the keyboard - could not type the password - even slowly until around 30s had passed.

I got my IOGear GBU 521 delivered today and it changes everything.
The BT keyboard and trackpad are recognized now instantly.
Trackpad doen't wake the computer from sleep anymore, but the keyboard does just fine.

After boot or after wakeup from sleep, both trackpad and keyboard are recognized and usable immediately.

Cheers,

John

good news.

odd issue on trackpad wake. mine works fine.

i assume System Preferences....Bluetooth....Advanced.... Allow Bluetooth devices to wake computer is properly set (of course).

i wonder if removing and adding the trackpad (again) would help. otherwise, this may be DSDT related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back