Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Can anyone guide me on how to get bluetooth working on my Inspiron n5050. The wifi hardware is AR9285, as listed in system profiler. I used the ioath3kfrmwr.kext from someone with similar hardware but it doesn't work correctly; no connections work, and I can't turn it on/off or change any settings.

Can anyone guide me on how to get bluetooth working on my Inspiron n5050. The wifi hardware is AR9285, as listed in system profiler. I used the ioath3kfrmwr.kext from someone with similar hardware but it doesn't work correctly; no connections work, and I can't turn it on/off or change any settings.

AR9285 is WiFi, not bluetooth. IOath3kfrmwr.kext is for Atheros AR3xxx BT.

I am aware of that, but I mentioned it since it's a combo and I'm not sure of which bluetooth card I have. The ioath3frmwr.kext doesn't work correctly, as I mentioned before. Any ideas since you contributed to it?

I am aware of that, but I mentioned it since it's a combo and I'm not sure of which bluetooth card I have. The ioath3frmwr.kext doesn't work correctly, as I mentioned before. Any ideas since you contributed to it?

Which one are you using? My version is at: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Atheros-3k-Firmware

Have you verified your device IDs (you should do a cold boot then make a copy of your ioreg)?
It could be that you have new device IDs that need to be added to the kext.

Great advice. After messing with the device id, I got it to work. Still the option to turn it off is disabled. I think it's related to the vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext. Will adding my device ID work?

Great advice. After messing with the device id, I got it to work. Still the option to turn it off is disabled. I think it's related to the vanilla IOBluetoothFamily.kext. Will adding my device ID work?

Please share what device ID you had to add/change, and I'll add it to my version.

The fact that you can't turn it on/off is a limitation of the hardware and/or driver used for the hardware in OS X... Same thing here on the ProBook.

I was using another version of the kext. Your version already has my device/vendor ids. Also, the on/off thing isn't a big deal, as long as it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back