Contribute
Register

Bluetooth Issues Catalina (Choppy audio and no trackpad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASROCK Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
PowerColor RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've got my bluetooth partially working on Catalina but audio is choppy and Magic Trackpad 2 won't connect.

ASROCK Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac (Bios is v4+)
Catilina 10.15.4

Bluetooth:
- [0a5c:21e8] Bluetooth USB Dongle (20702A1)
- See attachment for system info
- Firmware successfully updated to 5860 using BcrmPatchRam3 (https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM). Using RehabMan's BcrmPatchRam2 did not seem to update the firmware version.

Issues:
1. I can successfully connect PowerBeats headphones. Some audio plays but very choppy (not far from computer). Disconnections happen. See attached image for dropped packets.
2. I cannot connect my Magic Trackpad 2. Status quickly flips to "Connected" then to "Not Connected".
3. Apple Keyboard fails to connect as well.

Attempts:
- I've attempted various versions of BrcmPatchRam
- I've reset my bluetooth module
- Various long-shots

Please help :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 7.56.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 7.56.48 PM.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 94
  • TrackPadConnectionLog.txt
    12.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 7.59.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 7.59.51 PM.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Kexts.png
    Kexts.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 75
Bump... This is my second post -- if I'm missing any details or can do anything to get help on it, please let me know. If I can't get this going I'm tempted to restart from scratch with OpenCore but hope its not necessary.

Bump... This is my second post -- if I'm missing any details or can do anything to get help on it, please let me know. If I can't get this going I'm tempted to restart from scratch with OpenCore but hope its not necessary.
BcrmPatchRam3 is the latest, you may want to check your other kexts and make sure they are updated and that you have also done:

BcrmPatchRam3 is the latest, you may want to check your other kexts and make sure they are updated and that you have also done:

You list you are using a dongle, did you put it in a front USB port in line of sight of your mouse and keyboard? Also, do you have USB port patch that defines the port the dongle is attached to as 255/internal? Also, do you have any other USB devices or hubs that could be causing issues, trial and error to find out. Also, chaining batteries can also solve this even if they batteries show reasonable levels of charge.

I struggled with this for a few months because I had a few issues and it took a while to figure out but now it's great. In my case it took replacing the cable between my monitor hub and computer, relocating the antennas to the top and front, under the plastic skin but on top of the metal chassis. And of course low mouse/keyboard batteries can cause these symptoms. Any USB or bluetooth device can cause problems and give you these symptoms.

You list you are using a dongle, did you put it in a front USB port in line of sight of your mouse and keyboard? Also, do you have USB port patch that defines the port the dongle is attached to as 255/internal? Also, do you have any other USB devices or hubs that could be causing issues, trial and error to find out. Also, chaining batteries can also solve this even if they batteries show reasonable levels of charge.

I struggled with this for a few months because I had a few issues and it took a while to figure out but now it's great. In my case it took replacing the cable between my monitor hub and computer, relocating the antennas to the top and front, under the plastic skin but on top of the metal chassis. And of course low mouse/keyboard batteries can cause these symptoms. Any USB or bluetooth device can cause problems and give you these symptoms.
I think you replied to the wrong person

This worked!

I was originally mapped using the configuration from here, and the mappings mostly looked fine. However, doing it from scratch seemed to have fixed the problem.

Thank you Feartech!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back