Contribute
Register

Bluetooth A1114 Voltage Regulator Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes think so.. that "mF" was a mistape probably.. not sure because I would need to open the pc to check and now I really don't feel like doing that again sorry :p btw if I remember right I used a 33pF and a 47pF instead..
I don't remember having used any microF capcaitors.. don't even know if they exist actually! :silent: at work we only use pF capcitors..

bye!

I think you mix them. The most of the electrolytic capacitors are microfarad and they print the value on the capacitor using the Greek small letter "?" =m, along with the f (from the word farad) so the value it should be on the capacitors will look like "33?f". Picofarad capacitors are usually ceramic and for high voltages (100- 220 400VAC etc.)

yes you are right probably I mixed them in fact we usually work with pF capacitors and they are ceramic.. but in this case R&D gave me the capacitors you see in my pics (not ceramic) so the ones I used must be mF sorry! :crazy:

bye!

I ran no capacitor on the input, and 4700 microfarad on the output. None on the input, as the 5V from the psu is filtered already. 4700 mF on the output as a storage battery, so there's lots of reserve for sleep/what not. I used a regulator called L78L33ACZ. Mouser p/n is 511-L78L33ACZ It's a smaller case than the TO-220 cases other regulators use, has only three leads (input, ground, and 3.3V output). Output is 0.1A, which is more than sufficient with the bluetooth board. AND, you can put any positive voltage inside the computer (5V or higher) in and get 3.3 out.

The other odd thing I did was to use single strands from 18 gauge wire to hook it up. I missed the warning about buying it with the cable ($4 was too low to turn down), and so I broke off the connector and soldered wires to the individual strands, then soldered the individual strands to the pads on the PCB. I couldn't even see what I was doing. The way I got it to work was to slowly move the strand and look at the reflected light from the pad. Once I got it in place, I soldered. After I got two done, I used silicone to insulate the strands and hold the wires in place. Later, I soldered the +V wire and then soldered the ground to one of the larger ground pads. Tested in the usb port of a G4mdd running Leopard...Works perfectly, bluetooth menus come up, etc. Using just the bluetooth extension antenna wire from a G5, about 1/2" exposed at the end...At least 20 feet of range. The other one's going into the hack. Sorry no pix. Can't focus my eyes at it, much less a camera.

Sorry for the millions of questions I keep asking. But for the caps I'm going for roughly 4700microF. Seems to be a readily available size. Save some money, so only on the output. But what voltage did you guys get. The lowest I can find is "working voltage of 16V". I have another one of "woring voltage 35V". The latter being an axial type. Which would suit the circuit more. However, I can easily use the vertical drum type. But are these voltages too high?

Datasheet for the IC used: http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1528fb.pdf

+

"Working voltage".
All capacitors have a voltage rating. This tells you how much voltage the dielectric (insulator) can withstand before allowing DC to pass between its plates. Sometimes a capacitor has a working voltage (i.e. WVDC working voltage DC) and a surge voltage. The working voltage tells you how much voltage the capacitor can withstand long term (for the normal life of the capacitor). The surge voltage is the voltage is can withstand for short periods of time. Generally, if too much voltage is applied to a capacitor, it will fail. In electrolytic capacitors, the forming voltage (voltage used to anodize the plates) and the thickness of the paper element determine the working voltage of the cap. In film type capacitors, the insulating material (polyethylene, polypropylene...) will determine the maximum working voltage. (this quote comes from here: http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm).

Gus said:
Sorry for the millions of questions I keep asking. But for the caps I'm going for roughly 4700microF. Seems to be a readily available size. Save some money, so only on the output. But what voltage did you guys get. The lowest I can find is "working voltage of 16V". I have another one of "woring voltage 35V". The latter being an axial type. Which would suit the circuit more. However, I can easily use the vertical drum type. But are these voltages too high?

Everything above 5v it should be ok. Get 6,3v or 10v or 16v at about 10?f or 33?f or 47?f and you go. The values are not have to be so absolute.
And the cost of these are almost zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back