Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
My Vega 64 kext seems to be working because the fan spins down after boot but have a blank screen. Sound works too because I hear the 'ding' sound when typing on the keyboard (the sound you hear when you're not in the right field or something). Not sure if new video drivers in 10.14.4 are conflicting with my kext? How do I pick/choose what kexts in the Other folder are loaded during boot? Can that be done in Clover bootloader?

My Vega 64 kext seems to be working because the fan spins down after boot but have a blank screen. Sound works too because I hear the 'ding' sound when typing on the keyboard (the sound you hear when you're not in the right field or something). Not sure if new video drivers in 10.14.4 are conflicting with my kext? How do I pick/choose what kexts in the Other folder are loaded during boot? Can that be done in Clover bootloader?

Hi there. Are you using lilu/whatevergreen ? Or RadeonDeInit ?

Hi there. Are you using lilu/whatevergreen ? Or RadeonDeInit ?
Hi. I'm using the lastest Lilu/whatevergreen. Been troubleshooting and don't think it's the kexts, I think it's the config.plist.

1. I made a new USB boot stick using tonymac's 10.14 installation guide, booted the USB stick (Clover 4862) and selected my existing MacOS installation and it booted no problem.
2. Deleted my original EFI and replaced it with the USB EFI, rebooted and was able to load to desktop.
3. Added the latest version of all my kexts to the Other folder, rebooted and again, everything loaded fine.
4. Edit the config.plist so it matches my original settings and WILL NOT BOOT to desktop
5. I went back to the original config.plist from the USB and trying to change one thing at a time to determine the culprit.
5a. I tried changing the default SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac18,3 and it WILL NOT BOOT to desktop

that's where I am so far. very weird.

EDIT: Correction...when I change to 18,3 it DOES boot to desktop, I just can't see anything! I have to use keyboard shortcuts to log off and reboot but the desktop is loading.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm using the lastest Lilu/whatevergreen. Been troubleshooting and don't think it's the kexts, I think it's the config.plist.

1. I made a new USB boot stick using tonymac's 10.14 installation guide, booted the USB stick (Clover 4862) and selected my existing MacOS installation and it booted no problem.
2. Deleted my original EFI and replaced it with the USB EFI, rebooted and was able to load to desktop.
3. Added the latest version of all my kexts to the Other folder, rebooted and again, everything loaded fine.
4. Edit the config.plist so it matches my original settings and WILL NOT BOOT to desktop
5. I went back to the original config.plist from the USB and trying to change one thing at a time to determine the culprit.
5a. I tried changing the default SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac18,3 and it WILL NOT BOOT to desktop

that's where I am so far. very weird.

EDIT: Correction...when I change to 18,3 it DOES boot to desktop, I just can't see anything! I have to use keyboard shortcuts to log off and reboot but the desktop is loading.

Great :thumbup: That is exactly how to recover from this situation.

So either there is something small in that config or the system definition that is upsetting things. iMac14,2 is probably the most stable current definition but I know other people prefer the 18.* series. :)

You can choose a config.plist to try at boot from the Clover Options menu. So make an edit but save the config as a duplicate, say, config2 etc. When at the menu it's then easy to select or change which config to use.

Good tip, thanks!

Somehow I've now made things worse. I was trying a variety of things on the local EFI and broke it, so went to replace the local EFI with the USB EFI to start over. After reboot I now cannot get to desktop. When I boot from USB, no problems. How can a duplicate USB EFI folder not work on local??!? Confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back