Graphics
[Dedicated] HD4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed Unibeast (Mavericks edition) onto a 16GB USB stick partitioned with 1 partition set to GUID. I tried using osx10.6.8, then 10.8 to do the install.

When I booted I selected the correct boot device, then all I got was a mostly blank screen with a - (hyphen) that turned into a \ (backslash) but no longer moved. The CPU was on 100% load for quite a bit. Nothing happened.

It doesn't seem like anyone else had this problem.

I'm using a DVI cable connected straight into the motherboard for on-board (HD4600) graphics to my display.

[Edit]: At first I thought it was the Kingston DataTraveler USB stick that supports both USB3.0 and legacy support. I thought it was going into legacy mode and somehow that might have been causing the problem. So I tried a USB2.0 stick with 8GB capacity, using the same settings, and still had the same problem.

Put hardware in your profile.

Are you trying to install Snow Leopard or Mavericks?

I followed the instructions at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Setting the partition to either GUID or MBR makes no difference. Formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Same problem.

I reset the motherboard to optimized defaults. I used X.M.P. of Profile 1.

The option to toggle VT-d was grayed out. Probably because my CPU doesn't support it.

I removed a memory stick as the howto recommended, but it still hangs before it boots.

I followed the instructions at http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Setting the partition to either GUID or MBR makes no difference. Formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Same problem.

I reset the motherboard to optimized defaults. I used X.M.P. of Profile 1.

The option to toggle VT-d was grayed out. Probably because my CPU doesn't support it.

I removed a memory stick as the howto recommended, but it still hangs before it boots.

Format the USB 2 partitions - first partition 8GB, second rest of drive. (I would try using disk utility to add a partition to the existing UniBeast USB first to decrease the partition to 8GB- may save you some time)

I figured out what was the problem. I had to disable all the other SATA channels besides my main harddrive.

I later ran into a problem booting: a common memory allocation error. The solution was to use the -no-zp bootflag. I learned how to set bootflags: you don't hold down a key at boot, you just start typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back