Contribute
Register

Black'n Gold PowerMac G5 MOD (SSI-EEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi voidfahrenheit
Thanks to check out my mod thread!

Not only you but also I am the one got idea of gold color from macbook. The real macbook's gold color is not a simple gold, it seems to contain a bit of pink or red. I wish someone can find a method to imitate that color using spray.

Now I'm trying to install OSX on it and there are still some works of case modding remaining. I'll add more photos when my machine becomes even better.

Hey I really like your build. I started one myself but I don't have any type of resource to really give me some good info. So I would like to know what type of epoxy you used, front panel I/o and how did you get the the rear I/o to look so flush.

Something is blocking side panel.

It looks like the bottom heat pipes are blocking the door where the aluminum panel is reinforced. You could probably just drill a 8mm hole in the lower reinforcement bar and have your heat pipe slide inside of that when the panel closes. Since the door has to swing out, it shouldn't put any stress on the heat pipe.

All around, this is a great build! As others have said, the colors really work well together!

I wish someone can find a method to imitate that color using spray

Sherwin Williams has an 'Apple Gold' that I found when I was looking for a color for my G4 Cube. Look here for that paint code. Also, there is an x99 G4 Cube mod on here and ChipHell that has an almost perfect paint match to the Apple Gold.
025-jpg.180863

Cube Modding - X99

If you don't mind me asking, how do you plan to use this machine? While the Xeon's you picked have 10 cores each the core clock seems a bit low for general every day usage at 1.8Ghz Turbo 2.9Ghz.

Hi Maddsoul07 and lee.iii.will

What I did is totally the imitation of neilhart's g5 short stack.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/neilharts-g5-short-stack-powermac-g5-mod.93348/
His method of using J-B weld to form surface so easy and very solid.

And why did I choose strange Xeons? The answer is extremely simple.
Xeon is much cheaper than i7. My two Xeons costed me the price of one 6700k.

BTW I haven't do any mod around case these days. Now I'm trying to install OSX on it.
Using some patches it boots up but there is no display signal or black screen with moving cursor.
Maybe I should buy AMD card which is officially supported by OSX.

Hello! I have recently gotten a power Mac g5 and I was wondering if you could supply a link to the USB and power button on the front of the case? It would be greatly appreciated! ☺

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back