Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm running MacMan's CustomMac from 2011. See my signature. For the last few months, I *think* since the 10.7.2 upgrade, I've been getting random black screens. At first I thought it was caused by over clocking and heat. I was running at 4.2GHz stable for about a year, but I recently moved and my computer room is notably warmer, resulting in a few degrees extra temperature. I clocked everything down and the error persisted. I snooped a little further and I from the best I can tell, this is being caused by the video card. My clues being that, for one, everything in the system appears to keep running -- fans keep going and so forth. It doesn't restart.

Furthermore, in the kernel.log, I traced the blackout to the following error:

kernel IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero

I have found some other threads that talk about similar problems using ATI 5XX0 cards, but mostly in Snow Leopard. I never had this issues -- at all -- with SL. It only seems recent.

Any clues? I just flashed the Bios on the board to FH and reinstalled Lion. We'll see if the problem persists, but I thought I'd inquire in the mean time.

Same setup with the exception of my processor and amount of RAM. I took the plunge and made my Linux box a hackintosh with OS X 10.7.4. It has been up for the past 4 days stable and I started migrating all my important stuff onto a hfs+ file system this morning.

No problems at all for me.

Does your monitor go into sleep mode or is it on but just black? I have noticed that from time to time when I reboot that my screen doesn't come out of sleep and it takes a plug and unplug of the video cable or completely removing power from the system and then powering back on to get my monitor working again.

fireman949 said:
Same setup with the exception of my processor and amount of RAM. I took the plunge and made my Linux box a hackintosh with OS X 10.7.4. It has been up for the past 4 days stable and I started migrating all my important stuff onto a hfs+ file system this morning.

No problems at all for me.

Does your monitor go into sleep mode or is it on but just black? I have noticed that from time to time when I reboot that my screen doesn't come out of sleep and it takes a plug and unplug of the video cable or completely removing power from the system and then powering back on to get my monitor working again.

That is what happens. I thought I had it licked but it's back. Not sure if it happens on other OSes. I have Windows and Ubuntu loaded but never leave it on long enough to find out. I'll pop in an old video card and see what happens.

My 5770 goes black on boot after the Apple logo if I'm not explicit about the graphics mode.

So I boot, I used to type in "Graphics Mode"="2560x1600x32@60Hz" and everything comes up roses. I've since moved it into org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Of course, you should use the resolution of the monitor you've got hooked up.

Hypergolic said:
My 5770 goes black on boot after the Apple logo if I'm not explicit about the graphics mode.

So I boot, I used to type in "Graphics Mode"="2560x1600x32@60Hz" and everything comes up roses. I've since moved it into org.chameleon.Boot.plist

Of course, you should use the resolution of the monitor you've got hooked up.

I have a dual monitor set up. Any clues on what to do then?

I wonder if that will solve the problem. The issue is that at random times I get black screens on BOTH monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back