i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 580 Nitro
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I used to run a NVidia card, but the other week I found myself a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro, so I decied to get back to my Mac and try to upgrade to
Catalina.

Just replacing the card, it booted right away to High Sierra, so I took the jump and updated to Catalina from App Store.

It boot up to the Apple logo, where the sreen just goes black. I've seens some threads about how kexts should be removed from /Library/Extensions,
and as I recall it I didn't have anything extra in there. Unfortunately I don't have a mac on hand, so I haven't been able to read the HFS partion, just the EFI using MiniTool Partition Wizard.

The only kext I have under EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other is FakeSMS. Not sure how old, but since High Sierra.

I believe my config.plist might containg a positive flag for the NVidia web driver. High Sierra seemed ok with that, and just went with Appples drivers, so I haven't removed that.

Anything in particular I should look at to get my Hack going again?

Just ask me for any info needed, as I've forgotten most since the High Sierra installation I did. :)

Cheers,
Urak

to start... you will need the follow kexts
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

get the latest versions and report back

No luck I'm afraid.

My EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other now contains :
FakeSMC.kext
Lilu.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Also attached EFI\CLOVER\config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.9 KB · Views: 130
Try with InjectATI set to true.

I'm runnning Lilu 1.4.1 and WhateverGreen 1.3.6 which seems to be the latest, and FakeSMC 2018-0915.

The integrated GPU was enabled in BIOS, but I disabled it with no effect.

I attached a zipped up copy of my EFI folder.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    21.7 MB · Views: 133
did you try the DP port ?

if you get black screen but it looks like the computer is still booting and or running, then that is a good place to start.

Yeah so I checked both DP ports and the HDMI ports as well.

The HDMI ports are "dead" so the monitor just goes to sleep, while both DP ports DOES ouput something, but in essence just a black screen, so as you say, it kinda looks like it is still booting (left it overnight just in case last night)

When I went to Catalina and subsequent beta updates, the screen always goes black during the update, but of course the computer is still updating. After 2 or 3 reboots, the screen comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back