Contribute
Register

Black screen with Pascal and Sierra. Fixes not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690 UD AX DDR4
CPU
i7-12700k
Graphics
RX590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am aware of this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/ but it has not helped me. I've tried the Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts. I've tried patching the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext.

I was running El Capitan fine with a nVidia GeForce 660GTX. Acceleration and everything was working fine. I upgraded to a 4K monitor and an nVidia GeForce 1050Ti and quickly discovered the issues with the lack of Pascal drivers.

Now the drivers are available, so I've upgraded to Sierra 10.12.4. This seemed to work fine. I loaded the nVidia Pascal driver and it seemed to install fine, but every time I rebooted it said I was using the OSX driver and not nVidia's. I added the NvidiaWeb config to my config.plist file and now when I boot I end up with my monitor sleeping before I get to the login screen. My Hack is still running as I can blindly log in and perform a restart. If I hit space on the Clover screen and enable VESA mode I can get to the Finder, but with no acceleration.

System definition is iMac14,2. Monitor is a 40" Samsung 4K TV connected using HDMI. Mainboard is a Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP.

Are there any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue?

Profile already updated... I realized it was missing after making my post.

Already took care of #6... It remembers to use the nVidia driver now, but I get a black screen before the login screen.

Profile already updated... I realized it was missing after making my post.

Already took care of #6... It remembers to use the nVidia driver now, but I get a black screen before the login screen.
Attach your config.plist.

Remembered I had a display port to HDMI adapter, so I disconnected from the HDMI port and used the adapter on the display port and I now get a proper display, but at only 30Hz. I haven't tried Windows yet to see how it likes the adapter, but at least I have a decent display in Sierra!

I've attached my config.plist.

[edit] I booted to Windows and it seems OK, BUT I'm stuck at 30Hz using the DP adapter and I have no audio. So using the DP is not going to be a permanent fix for me. :(

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.2 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
I made some edits :
Much better... still stuck at 30Hz, but I can use the HDMI port now and get audio.

I'll need to see what you changed so I can get my default boot to work and disable verbose mode, but I'm quite happy.

Thank you very much!!!

[edit]

ARGH! I moved my system back into place last night and this morning - BAM! Black screen on boot. Still not working over HDMI.

So... I can get 30Hz 4k video and audio in Sierra using a DP to HDMI adapter, but I lose 60Hz 4k video and all audio in Windows... OR I can have my audio and 60Hz 4k video in Windows over HDMI, but lose all video in Sierra. Booooo....

Last edited:
Stupid me... Did a software update and Sierra updated to 10.12.5. Now the nVidia drivers don't work again. :(

Updated my display drivers and I've got acceleration again with the nVidia driver. Works at 30Hz on a DP adapter, but still get the black screen when connected via HDMI. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back