Contribute
Register

Black screen with mouse pointer after Apple logo on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, but the InjectIntel is definitely already checked in my photos (it's just that it's the world's smallest checkbox, especially on my 4K monitor, the photo just doesnt show it!). I assure you though, it is definitely ticked.

However, just to be 100% sure, I've just been and retried the 0x59128086 and 0x59120003 settings, both with and without InjectIntel checked.
Without InjectIntel checked, the system does as originally reported - black screen with mouse pointer.
With InjectIntel checked and the 0x59128086 and 0x59120003 settings, I get the screen corruption.

Thanks, but the InjectIntel is definitely already checked in my photos (it's just that it's the world's smallest checkbox, especially on my 4K monitor, the photo just doesnt show it!). I assure you though, it is definitely ticked.

However, just to be 100% sure, I've just been and retried the 0x59128086 and 0x59120003 settings, both with and without InjectIntel checked.
Without InjectIntel checked, the system does as originally reported - black screen with mouse pointer.
With InjectIntel checked and the 0x59128086 and 0x59120003 settings, I get the screen corruption.
In that case change the ig-p-id to 59120000

if changing ig-platform-id to 0x59120000 does not fix the back screen , I suspect your CLOVER/kexts/Other may not have the latest lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

if changing ig-platform-id to 0x59120000 does not fix the back screen , I suspect your CLOVER/kexts/Other may not have the latest lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

OK, so changing ig-platform-id to 0x59120000 did not fix it - we are back at the original problem of black screen with mouse pointer. So, based on the 2nd half of your reply:

I suspect your CLOVER/kexts/Other may not have the latest lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.

what do I need to check and how? I can mount the EFI partition by booting the 2nd disk and using Clover Configurator, so from there I can use Terminal or Finder to navigate to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. How would I know if I have the latest of these 2? Presumably I can just download the latest from somewhere and replace them (I'll keep the originals just in case :) )

OK, so changing ig-platform-id to 0x59120000 did not fix it - we are back at the original problem of black screen with mouse pointer. So, based on the 2nd half of your reply:

what do I need to check and how? I can mount the EFI partition by booting the 2nd disk and using Clover Configurator, so from there I can use Terminal or Finder to navigate to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. How would I know if I have the latest of these 2? Presumably I can just download the latest from somewhere and replace them (I'll keep the originals just in case :) )
Presumably I can just download the latest from somewhere and replace them (I'll keep the originals just in case :) )
Sample CLOVER screen shots from a working GA-Z270X can be seen at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ming-i7-7700k-intel-hd-630-radeon5450.239427/

Thanks for all your help, but I still can't get this going!
Previously I only had lilu 1.2.3, so I've downloaded 1.2.7 of lilu and 1.2.3 of whatevergreen; and followed the instructions at https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334899-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen/ (as best I can!).
So, after installing the 2 new kexts and following the instructions re: config.plist edits, I have the following situation:

• the original (non-booting) installation now hangs at the Apple logo screen
    • if I add -v, I can see its doing the "Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry x" loop. This is presumably because the instructions told me to remove -disablegfxfirmware
    • if I add -disablegfxfirmware back again, then I get the same old black screen with mouse pointer
  • the 2nd SSD still boots, but interestingly now natively (and by default) boots in 4K. This is without the pixelclock patch and SwitchResX that I have on the original installation (these were installed a long time ago and fully operational so I dont think are related to the problems ?)

Given that I know a fresh install will work (as proven on the 2nd SSD), I'm kind of at the point where I am going to wipe the disk and start again. It's a bit inconvenient, but I can do it if necessary.
Before I do that though, is there any mileage in setting up a Mojave USB installation media, and installing Mojave over the top of my broken High Sierra build?
My thinking is that given that HS is broken, attempting a Mojave upgrade wont make it any worse! And now I have the latest lilu and whatevergreen kexts (which are documented as necessary for Mojave) already installed on the clover partition, it seems like I am in a good position to try it?

What do you think?

Thanks for all your help, but I still can't get this going!
Previously I only had lilu 1.2.3, so I've downloaded 1.2.7 of lilu and 1.2.3 of whatevergreen; and followed the instructions at https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/334899-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen/ (as best I can!).
So, after installing the 2 new kexts and following the instructions re: config.plist edits, I have the following situation:

• the original (non-booting) installation now hangs at the Apple logo screen
    • if I add -v, I can see its doing the "Hash data from ME never returned, status = 1, doing retry x" loop. This is presumably because the instructions told me to remove -disablegfxfirmware
    • if I add -disablegfxfirmware back again, then I get the same old black screen with mouse pointer
  • the 2nd SSD still boots, but interestingly now natively (and by default) boots in 4K. This is without the pixelclock patch and SwitchResX that I have on the original installation (these were installed a long time ago and fully operational so I dont think are related to the problems ?)

Given that I know a fresh install will work (as proven on the 2nd SSD), I'm kind of at the point where I am going to wipe the disk and start again. It's a bit inconvenient, but I can do it if necessary.
Before I do that though, is there any mileage in setting up a Mojave USB installation media, and installing Mojave over the top of my broken High Sierra build?
My thinking is that given that HS is broken, attempting a Mojave upgrade wont make it any worse! And now I have the latest lilu and whatevergreen kexts (which are documented as necessary for Mojave) already installed on the clover partition, it seems like I am in a good position to try it?

What do you think?

• Not a good idea to try upgrading macOS for failure to run a previous version.

• If you want to try and replace the EFI folder of your non- booting HS SSD with the one I can upload, please post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back