Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

I have an Asus Prime Z370-A with i7-8700K and Nvidia GT 1030 2GB
I have 2 Full HD monitors connected to the Nvidia.
System Definition is 18,3.
Quick Synch enabled (ig-platform-id 59120003). All works very well BUT one thing:
- On boot when BOTH monitor are switched on and connected to the NVidia the PC goes into a BLACK SCREEN after Apple Logo and the boot doesn't complete.
I must disconnect the second monitor prior to booting to have a proper boot. THEN, after boot I can connect the 2nd screen and it works.
How to solve this so I don't have to disconnect the monitor prior to booting?
Nvidia has a DVI + HDMI ports.

Thanks.
I have exactly the same problem. I tried switching the displays (mac's "main" one to the main port of my gc) but this doesn't work. Would be grateful for any hints to solve this.

I have exactly the same problem. I tried switching the displays (mac's "main" one to the main port of my gc) but this doesn't work. Would be grateful for any hints to solve this.
Enabling CMS in bios solved the issue.

Last edited:
Was working on this issue for a few days while updating my desktop (High Sierra, GTX 950). Booting with two monitors connected (one DP, one DVI) caused a black screen and hang. Booting with the DVI cable disconnected works fine, and after booting I could re-connect the DVI to get the second monitor working, though it would black screen/hang again if the computer went into sleep and turned off the displays.

Also, it seemed that WhateverGreen.kext was not successfully loading, and I could not find it via IORegistryExplorer.

Re-enabling CSM support in my BIOS is what ultimately fixed it for me (The desktop guides I read all suggested disabling this during installation). After re-enabling it, I can boot with dual displays, and WhateverGreen is showing up in IORegistryExplorer.

Just came across this topic while searching for the fix to a black screen.

When starting up Clover displays on two screens, but once it gets to the login screen the second "turns off". System Preferences displays two monitors as being available & when screen sharing the second one shows up. Im using both HDMI ports on my MOBO.

The AGDPfix doesn't seem to be making a difference for me, I've ticked "kext-dev-mode=1" in Clover

@eseanq have you resolved it? I have the same problem. Which version do you run?

@eseanq have you resolved it? I have the same problem. Which version do you run?
Nope. Still only have the one monitor working. Haven't had much time to mess around with it. As far as the version, are you referring to OSX? If so then I'm running 10.14.2.

Back