Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Hi,

So, If I'm reading this correctly, issues with black screen with iMac14,2 definition are not AGDP related, correct?

Because I have one KFA 1080 with latest nvdia drivers which behaves exactly like this: after boot, only one DP port is working (always DP connected to monitor), but after unplug&replug DP to TV (with Club3D CAC-1070 adapter), both screens work...most of the time...

I know it's a very strange setup, with so many potential failure points (Club3D adapter, Samsunt 4K TV, nvidia 1080, etc.), so I'm not really confident in finding a solution here...My workaround is to have one 7870 connected to Samsung 4K TV, which Works OOB, and HDMI 2.0 to TV plus DP to monitor, so in MacOSX I have HDMI1+DP, and in Windows (for gaming) I have HDMI2+DP...Kind of bizarre, but it's my most stable configuration so far...

My problem was that I was installing the Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup kexts incorrectly. Switched to installing them with KextBeast, problem solved.

I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable (as my monitor only has DVI).

(Edited to add cable information.)

Last edited:
Two days ago the GPU arrived and all that easy progress ground to a halt. :-}

Okay, so since posting this, I've replaced the video card with an EVGA GTX 1050 ti. I had exactly the same problem with a black screen. After much messing around with drivers, kexts, SSDTs, etc., I had no luck. Then, about an hour ago, I began to wonder about the fact that my ASUS BIOS GUI was also starting up at 800x600, whereas it was 1080p from the integrated graphics card. This caused me to wonder if there was a more fundamental hardware issue.

After some reading I discovered the temporary HDMI display (from 2012) I'm using until my new one gets here Wednesday is necessarily an older HDMI spec. The card and monitor both apparently can only speak with one-another at 800x600, so that's what they agree on until the NVIDIA drivers take over and kick it into high-DPI mode, at which point the display declares the signal invalid (it just says NO signal) and goes into standby.

To verify this, I lugged my Hackintosh out to the living room entertainment center's 4K display and tried it ......... and let out a bark of laughter at the absurdly high-resolution (and tiny dock) that greeted me.

So: If you're getting the "black screen after boot" issue yet the NVIDIA drivers load and the card appears to be recognized, maybe you're using an older monitor with an obsolete (to your card) HDMI spec.

Thank you! This worked great for me.

EDIT (03/01/2017):
vit9696 offered a new solution for those who want an easy fix. I haven't tested this but it sounds like it bypasses the offending functionality of Apple Graphics Display Policy. Because it is a separate pair of kexts, it should not require any actions (re-patching) after updates. Install the Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. It says it's for MacPro6,1 but omrij confirms it works for iMac15 and pastrychef confirms it works for the iMac 17 board IDs as well.

Gigabyte Z170X-UD3
i7-6700
Gefource GTX 950

Im curious guys. Is there any real benefit to going from imac 14,2 to 17,1 ? besides seeing that its a skylake processor and a more current build in the system profile. Do you gain any added functionality you wont get having 14,2? I ask cause while i dont really have any issues right now with my 14,2 setup i wonder if im missing out on any features or performance boost not going to a profile that suits mine more closely. If the change would only be mainly cosmetic, i think i might just stay at 14,2 but if there is any real benefit to it, i would also like to give the imac 17 a try.

Im curious guys. Is there any real benefit to going from imac 14,2 to 17,1 ? besides seeing that its a skylake processor and a more current build in the system profile. Do you gain any added functionality you wont get having 14,2? I ask cause while i dont really have any issues right now with my 14,2 setup i wonder if im missing out on any features or performance boost not going to a profile that suits mine more closely. If the change would only be mainly cosmetic, i think i might just stay at 14,2 but if there is any real benefit to it, i would also like to give the imac 17 a try.
Keep a copy of your iMac14,2 config.plist and give it a try, you can always revert if you decide against it later.

Keep a copy of your iMac14,2 config.plist and give it a try, you can always revert if you decide against it later.

the problem is right now i have everything working especially my imessage and facetime. i know i had to use some serial numbers off my real mac which i no longer use to get imessge to work. im afraid of changing the details on my config.plist for the 14,2 to going to a imac 17,1 while still keeping all the ROM/Serials number i had to extract to make imessage work on on a new imac17. wont it show that i had the same serials on a imac 14,2 then now its also on a imac 17,1 wouldn't that flag something

the problem is right now i have everything working especially my imessage and facetime. i know i had to use some serial numbers off my real mac which i no longer use to get imessge to work. im afraid of changing the details on my config.plist for the 14,2 to going to a imac 17,1 while still keeping all the ROM/Serials number i had to extract to make imessage work on on a new imac17. wont it show that i had the same serials on a imac 14,2 then now its also on a imac 17,1 wouldn't that flag something
You would need to create new details to match your iMac17,1 SMBIOS, don't reuse your existing ones.
There is no need whatsoever to use cloned details from real Macs.

In 10.12.2.This method is effectual.
After update to 10.12.4.
I only use singl monitor.
So,I rebuild my Hackintosh.
Now,i use this method again.But still black screen.
Does anyone help me?
Thanks.

Attachments

• AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy.kext.zip
    36.3 KB · Views: 100
  • config.plist
    7.9 KB · Views: 254
Black Screen with MacPro6,1 or iMac15 or iMac17 System Definition

Better way is rename in DSDT or SSDT device GFX0 to GFX1:

Example:

Device (GFX1)
{
Name (_ADR, Zero)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x0E)
{
"AAPL,slot-name",
Buffer (0x07)
{
"Slot-1"
},

"@0,connector-type",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
},

"@1,connector-type",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
},

"@2,connector-type",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
},

"@3,connector-type",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
},

"@4,connector-type",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x08, 0x00, 0x00
},

"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}
Does one need to edit the connecto-types to match their own cards?

Back