Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Hello, All:

I've been amazed and appreciative of the resources here as this community has helped me to build my first Hackintosh. Until two days ago, everything had gone more or less flawlessly as I got everything working using the internal GPU while I waited on my bluetooth adapter and my GTX 950 GPU. The machine is nice and powerful and works wonderfully.

Two days ago the GPU arrived and all that easy progress ground to a halt. :-}

After much reading and struggling, I have the latest NVIDIA web drivers installed and they remain selected in the NVIDIA system preference panel but Clover boots at 800x600 (and so does my BIOS setup screen) and stays there throughout the boot process. I get the Black Screen After Boot / At Login issue so many others have complained about. If I turn on the nv_disable=1 option this does not happen but the screen remains at 800x600 (though the NVIDIA Web Drivers are still selected in system prefs) and the system profiler reports the graphics as "NVIDIA Chip Model 1MB". Also, under the ECC tab, it shows “No Device Found” under the 4 slots in the list.

I also noticed (due to the open-air case I have) that when I get the black screen the video card goes into silent/stop mode; the WINDFORCE logo turns off and the fans power down, silent/stop lights turn on). No amount of screen sleeping/waking, switching to DisplayPort (using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor) gets the display back.

My build stats (and Clover config) are below.

I'm currenly using the iMac17,1 profile but have tried iMac14,*, MacPro* with associated serials/board IDs generated by Clover Configurator (Messages seems happy with all but MacPro6, so I assume things match up correctly).

Things I've tried:

• Tried AGDPfix (v1.0 and v1.3, the later multiple times across reboots, since one person here suggested they’d done the same and it fixed his problem the second time).
  • Tried NVIDIA WebDriver Updater and combination of unpatched/patched NVDAStartupWeb.kext and with/without NVEnabler.kext.
  • NvidiaWeb=YES
  • InjectKexts = YES
  • InjectSystemID = YES
  • Tried w/wo nvda_drv=1
  • Tried w/wo Inject NVidia (and all permutations of these last two)
  • Tried w/wo FixDisplay_0100 (I use NewWay_80000000 for fixes)
  • Tried w/wo AddHDMI_80000000
  • Tried disabling CSM but this results in the display never coming on during POST and no boot.
  • Tried following suggestions in this thread (including the guide at the head).
  • Tried following DSDT/SSDT patching instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/ (but the directions don’t quite match up with what I was seeing so I’m not sure I did it right, so I backed out of all changes when it didn’t work).
  • I also tried the fixes here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ (Problem 4, methods 1 AND 2, separately)
One thing to note: I had a theory that my display might be to blame. I’m using an older ASUS HDMI 1080p display (1920x1080 with a range of 30-80KHz) as I wait for my 27” 4K display to arrive next week. Not sure if the login screen’s resolution or refresh rate might be causing the display to report as “no signal” and the lack of communication might be causing the card to power down. Could this be a thing?

As for BIOS, I have dual display turned off and I've tried both PEG (PCI Graphics) and Auto settings; both bring up my display during boot when plugged into the graphics card.

Build Info:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-WS w/latest firmware (3002, released 01/26/2017).
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700, 4Ghz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB Windforce 2X OC Edition
Storage: 250GB Samsung SATA SSD
PSU: 750W
PCI Path in IOReg: _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP (corresponds to the first PCI slot).
No WIFI / Bluetooth Installed Yet

Attachments: Screenshots, Clover Config, F4 dumped /EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin (zipped as origin.zip)

Attachments

• config.plist.plist
    6 KB · Views: 259
  • origin.zip
    63 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.27.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.27.57 PM.png
    162 KB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.16 PM.png
    72.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.18 PM.png
    96.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.20 PM.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 2.28.31 PM.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Hello, All:

I've been amazed and appreciative of the resources here as this community has helped me to build my first Hackintosh. Until two days ago, everything had gone more or less flawlessly as I got everything working using the internal GPU while I waited on my bluetooth adapter and my GTX 950 GPU. The machine is nice and powerful and works wonderfully.

Two days ago the GPU arrived and all that easy progress ground to a halt. :-}

After much reading and struggling, I have the latest NVIDIA web drivers installed and they remain selected in the NVIDIA system preference panel but Clover boots at 800x600 (and so does my BIOS setup screen) and stays there throughout the boot process. I get the Black Screen After Boot / At Login issue so many others have complained about. If I turn on the nv_disable=1 option this does not happen but the screen remains at 800x600 (though the NVIDIA Web Drivers are still selected in system prefs) and the system profiler reports the graphics as "NVIDIA Chip Model 1MB". Also, under the ECC tab, it shows “No Device Found” under the 4 slots in the list.

I also noticed (due to the open-air case I have) that when I get the black screen the video card goes into silent/stop mode; the WINDFORCE logo turns off and the fans power down, silent/stop lights turn on). No amount of screen sleeping/waking, switching to DisplayPort (using a DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor) gets the display back.

My build stats (and Clover config) are below.

I'm currenly using the iMac17,1 profile but have tried iMac14,*, MacPro* with associated serials/board IDs generated by Clover Configurator (Messages seems happy with all but MacPro6, so I assume things match up correctly).

Things I've tried:

• Tried AGDPfix (v1.0 and v1.3, the later multiple times across reboots, since one person here suggested they’d done the same and it fixed his problem the second time).
  • Tried NVIDIA WebDriver Updater and combination of unpatched/patched NVDAStartupWeb.kext and with/without NVEnabler.kext.
  • NvidiaWeb=YES
  • InjectKexts = YES
  • InjectSystemID = YES
  • Tried w/wo nvda_drv=1
  • Tried w/wo Inject NVidia (and all permutations of these last two)
  • Tried w/wo FixDisplay_0100 (I use NewWay_80000000 for fixes)
  • Tried w/wo AddHDMI_80000000
  • Tried disabling CSM but this results in the display never coming on during POST and no boot.
  • Tried following suggestions in this thread (including the guide at the head).
  • Tried following DSDT/SSDT patching instructions here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/ (but the directions don’t quite match up with what I was seeing so I’m not sure I did it right, so I backed out of all changes when it didn’t work).
  • I also tried the fixes here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solving-nvidia-driver-install-loading-problems.161256/ (Problem 4, methods 1 AND 2, separately)
One thing to note: I had a theory that my display might be to blame. I’m using an older ASUS HDMI 1080p display (1920x1080 with a range of 30-80KHz) as I wait for my 27” 4K display to arrive next week. Not sure if the login screen’s resolution or refresh rate might be causing the display to report as “no signal” and the lack of communication might be causing the card to power down. Could this be a thing?

As for BIOS, I have dual display turned off and I've tried both PEG (PCI Graphics) and Auto settings; both bring up my display during boot when plugged into the graphics card.

Build Info:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-WS w/latest firmware (3002, released 01/26/2017).
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700, 4Ghz Quad-Core
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 2GB Windforce 2X OC Edition
Storage: 250GB Samsung SATA SSD
PSU: 750W
PCI Path in IOReg: _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP (corresponds to the first PCI slot).
No WIFI / Bluetooth Installed Yet

Attachments: Screenshots, Clover Config, F4 dumped /EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin (zipped as origin.zip)

Hi,
If you are using hackintosh uefi mode i think you MUST disable csm. I have same problem like you while disabling csm, try again it should be disabled after several attempt. ( It worked for me after trying 2.attempt)
Please don't forget to set primary graphic as
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary

I'm not an expert but i tried this settings, It worked. The important point is csm must be disabled (I think)
My smbios is iMac(14,1) so you should try this one, too
---
EDIT (03/01/2017):
vit9696 offered a new solution for those who want an easy fix. I haven't tested this but it sounds like it bypasses the offending functionality of Apple Graphics Display Policy. Because it is a separate pair of kexts, it should not require any actions (re-patching) after updates. Install the Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. It says it's for MacPro6,1 but omrij confirms it works for iMac15 and pastrychef confirms it works for the iMac 17 board IDs as well.

--

Hi,
If you are using hackintosh uefi mode i think you MUST disable csm. I have same problem like you while disabling csm, try again it should be disabled after several attempt. ( It worked for me after trying 2.attempt)
Please don't forget to set primary graphic as
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - PEG as Primary

I'm not an expert but i tried this settings, It worked. The important point is csm must be disabled (I think)
My smbios is iMac(14,1) so you should try this one, too
---
EDIT (03/01/2017):
vit9696 offered a new solution for those who want an easy fix. I haven't tested this but it sounds like it bypasses the offending functionality of Apple Graphics Display Policy. Because it is a separate pair of kexts, it should not require any actions (re-patching) after updates. Install the Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other. It says it's for MacPro6,1 but omrij confirms it works for iMac15 and pastrychef confirms it works for the iMac 17 board IDs as well.

--

Hey there. Thanks but I mentioned in my post that I already tried the Lilu/Fixup suggestion in one of the threads I linked to and also that I have set my BIOS to use PEG as primary (also tried Auto but it's set to PEG).

I'm curious what you meant about trying to disable CSM "again". When I do this, I get no POST and no display. I already tried rebooting once or twice (reset button first, then power down/up second try) but same results. With CSM disabled I get nowhere fast and am forced to reset CMOS and set everything back up again in BIOS.

Hey there. Thanks but I mentioned in my post that I already tried the Lilu/Fixup suggestion in one of the threads I linked to and also that I have set my BIOS to use PEG as primary (also tried Auto but it's set to PEG).

I'm curious what you meant about trying to disable CSM "again". When I do this, I get no POST and no display. I already tried rebooting once or twice (reset button first, then power down/up second try) but same results. With CSM disabled I get nowhere fast and am forced to reset CMOS and set everything back up again in BIOS.

Looks like stupid but you should try to disable csm again, my first attemp to disable csm was like you, i got no post and no display but i success with 2.attempt. I think the main problem is csm must be disabled to use pascal cards.
If you can't disable csm with several attemps, sorry i can't help you :( You can try to update your bios or something.
If you find the solution please let me know, i wonder, too

Looks like stupid but you should try to disable csm again, my first attemp to disable csm was like you, i got no post and no display but i success with 2.attempt. I think the main problem is csm must be disabled to use pascal cards.
If you can't disable csm with several attemps, sorry i can't help you :( You can try to update your bios or something.
If you find the solution please let me know, i wonder, too

Again, I tried several times, always the same result (no display, have to reset. BIOS). Also again, I mentioned in my original post that I'm running the latest BIOS.

Again, I tried several times, always the same result (no display, have to reset. BIOS). Also again, I mentioned in my original post that I'm running the latest BIOS.
:( Good luck :( Please let me know, if you find out a solution

Last edited:
An update on my screen problem: I found this post in which shilohh mentions problems with Gigabyte and Asus cards using spec-breaking VBIOS ROMs. I'd made some progress re-trying his SSDT guide (I had misunderstood a crucial step the first time around) and got my IOReg to "look right". But every suggestion in that thread - all million of them - failed to change the outcome of a display shutdown. I was reading through other threads about related fixes and possibilities when I encountered that comment. Since I have a Gigabyte GTX950 Windforce card and have tried every fix under the sun for four days, hours each day, I'm going to assume this is the most likely cause. I've RMA'd the card and ordered an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 4GB GDDR5 mentioned in this post. It'll arrive tomorrow and I'll see what I can see. More updates as I have them.

An update on my screen problem: I found this post in which shilohh mentions problems with Gigabyte and Asus cards using spec-breaking VBIOS ROMs. I'd made some progress re-trying his SSDT guide (I had misunderstood a crucial step the first time around) and got my IOReg to "look right". But every suggestion in that thread - all million of them - failed to change the outcome of a display shutdown. I was reading through other threads about related fixes and possibilities when I encountered that comment. Since I have a Gigabyte GTX950 Windforce card and have tried every fix under the sun for four days, hours each day, I'm going to assume this is the most likely cause. I've RMA'd the card and ordered an EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING ACX 3.0, 4GB GDDR5 mentioned in this post. It'll arrive tomorrow and I'll see what I can see. More updates as I have them.
As far as I can tell, for pascal GPU's, you'll need to be on 10.12.4 and use the newest clover and web drivers. You may also need to use:
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true>
</dict>

In your config.plist.

As far as I can tell, for pascal GPU's, you'll need to be on 10.12.4 and use the newest clover and web drivers. You may also need to use:
<key>SystemParameters</key>
<dict>
<key>NvidiaWeb</key>
<true>
</dict>

In your config.plist.

Thanks - I assume I will still need the SSDT modifications from your guide?

Thanks - I assume I will still need the SSDT modifications from your guide?
It depends what system definition and board ID you use. If you use MacPro6,1 you should name the gpu GFX1 via ssdt. If you use iMac15 or 17 you should use AGDPfix or the lilu and nvidiafix kexts.

Back