Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Sorry if I offended you. If you have a Z97 system as your profile states, you may be better off with the board ID from iMac15,1 for better CPU power management. X79 works with MacPro5,1 too but it draws a lot more power at idle.
No.. absolutely not. What I should have done was keep up with the forum when the Z97 was hot. The changes I made was from when the 6,1 was not recommended and I was persistent to use it (back to Mavericks). When I figured it out, my system worked flawlessly and system updates and upgrades worked perfect (and all the bells and whistles). May be some of the guys with older boards can benefit from my finding.

Seriously, Thank you shilohh and EVERYBODY for all the hard work done on this forum. As you can see I've been a fan since 2011!

It does for iMac15,1
didn't try newer iMac's

Just wanted to give a Big Shout Out @shilohn, for all his hard work. This is my first Hackintosh and I sort of enjoy trouble shooting this thing but it does me no shame to say if it wasn't for all of these helpful experts in this site I would probably have given up a long time ago. I was using iMac 14,3 for a long time because thats what was working for everyone else and it worked for me but I felt like my hardware was more geared towards iMac 17,1 so I changed it. But, as soon as I rebooted my hackintosh, the monitor that was connected to my 980 ti was black (worked when I was in iMac 14,3). It still recognized my 980 ti in system info but read that nothing was connected to it (even though it was connected through a DisplayPort Cable). So to fix it, all I had to do was download and install shilohn's AGDP Fix 1.3! Thats it! Didn't have to change GPX0 to GPX1 or anything else. Thank you for making it possible for people like me to have a functional hacktintosh.
P.S. I can tell improvements in my system since switching to iMac 17,1.

Hi
if anyone is interested
there is a new easy fix for the black screen
working also in recovery/installation
https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases
with this plugin
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nvidiagraphicsfixup/

credit fot vit9696 of course

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
For over a month I've been having problems where the hackintosh would only boot to colored lines after activating the Nvidia web drivers. I tried everything and these kext files completely fixed it. This post completely made my day!

My preferred method. For those of you using MacPro6,1 and willing to get a little more geeky, assigning the name GFX1 to your GPU in your ACPI tables (DSDT or SSDT) will also work without the need to patch any kexts and you won't need to worry about re-patching anything after OS X updates unless Apple changes the device policy again (credit : dgsga and furter).

In this pic from IORegistryExplorer you can see the AppleGraphicsDevicePolicyControlClient loaded on my second GPU (GTX 980) installed in PCI slot 4 (NPE7):
175050-agdp-loaded.png

In this state, it will not send a video signal from any of it's ports.

In the next pic you can see that I have injected my GTX 980 as GFX1 in NPE7 and AGDPCC is no longer loaded to it:
175051-agdp-not-loaded.png

Now all ports are functional. It's also worth noting that I have my 1st GPU (GTX Titan X) injected as GFX1 as well.

If you currently have GPU injection via DSDT or SSDT, it's as easy as changing the name. Open your DSDT or SSDT in your editor of choice (I prefer MaciASL) and change GFX0, PXSx, PEGx, or whatever it's name currently is to GFX1. Click compile and save it. If you don't currently have have your GPU injected in your DSDT or a SSDT, see this Guide to create one or more SSDTs for your GPU/s. If your ACPI tables assign specific names to PCI devices when they are installed, It is also possible to rename your DSDT's/SSDT's current GPU device name using clover's ACPI patching function. However, some ACPI table sets don't have a dedicated names for installed PCI devices and when the GPU loads, it gets the name "display@0" under IOPP. See RehabMan's excellent guide here.

You should also read this post if you feel you might be having other Nvidia Web Driver related issues: Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems However, AGDPfix.app or naming the GPU to GFX1 will solve problem 4.

Hi. I'm wondering, for those of us who are using iMac17,1 system definitions, can we avoid having to use the AGDPfix by renaming the IGPU and discrete graphics as per:
In OEM Apple ACPI tables, the GPU Devices are named as follows:
iMac13/14/15/17: Discrete GPU = "GFX0" (@0). Integrated GPU = "IGPU" (@2 or 0x00020000)

I've already renamed the HD 530 to IGPU and the GTX 980 to GFX0. As far as I can tell, AppleGraphicsDevicePolicyControlClient is not loaded. Is it safe to revert to the unmodified AppleGraphicsControl.kext?

Also, does it matter whether the HD 530 or GTX 980 is set a primary in BIOS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.30.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 8.30.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Hi. I'm wondering, for those of us who are using iMac17,1 system definitions, can we avoid having to use the AGDPfix by renaming the IGPU and discrete graphics as per:

I've already renamed the HD 530 to IGPU and the GTX 980 to GFX0. As far as I can tell, AppleGraphicsDevicePolicyControlClient is not loaded. Is it safe to revert to the unmodified AppleGraphicsControl.kext?

Also, does it matter whether the HD 530 or GTX 980 is set a primary in BIOS?

Thanks in advance for your help.
View attachment 240137 View attachment 240138
I haven't done any testing with iMac board ids but I don't think it will work, especially with the gpu named gfx0. AGDP specifies gfx0 to be effected by it's code. However, I'm not sure. I'd try reverting to the oem kext and if it won't boot, just use nv_disable=1 to boot and reapply your fix. Or, You should also try the new solution (the 2 kexts) in the OP. That should eliminate your reliance on AGDPfix if it works for iMac17,1. I'm not sure if it does.

Here are the results of my trial and error testing. Again, I'm using iMac17,1 system definition and I've renamed the HD 530 to IGPU and the GTX 980 to GFX0.
  • Only using the renaming did NOT fix the black screen when using unmodified AppleGraphicsControl.kext.
  • Adding the Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext DOES fix the black screen and works with iMac17,1 system definition.
  • Sleep/wake is unaffected by Lilu/NvidiaGraphicsFixup.
I will keep the renaming to more closely mimic a real iMac as I don't see any harm in doing so.

I have one last question... The download for Lilu 1.0.0 RELEASE had an additional file included. Filename is Lilu.kext.dSYM. Is it safe to assume this file is not need and can be disregarded?

Thanks to vit9696 and lvs1974 for Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup!! Thanks to shilohh for all your work and great writeup!!

Last edited:
Back