Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Skylake systems like yours should use iMac14,2. It's the "safest" SysDef to use to get your system running successfully.

Can you elaborate on that? This is the first time I am reading this. I managed to fix the black screen after boot by reverting to a 14,2 SMBIOS. I am looking for ways to make it work on 17,1 but if 14,2 is fine as well that would be great.

This is the rig I am working on:
  • OSX 10.11.4
  • GA-H170M-D3H
  • i5-6600
  • 32 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB
  • EVGA GTX 950
  • Bootloader: Clover 4.34.0
  • NVIDIA Driver: 346.03.06f1

There is a thread on how to make the SysDef iMac17,1 work, but, if your system is working using the SysDef iMac14,2, don't try to fix something that's not broken. :thumbup: Note: for the iMac SysDefs, the x,2 is for system with discrete graphics cards; the x,1 is for on-board graphics. See everymac.com for more information.

Can you elaborate on that? This is the first time I am reading this. I managed to fix the black screen after boot by reverting to a 14,2 SMBIOS. I am looking for ways to make it work on 17,1 but if 14,2 is fine as well that would be great.

This is the rig I am working on:
  • OSX 10.11.4
  • GA-H170M-D3H
  • i5-6600
  • 32 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB
  • EVGA GTX 950
  • Bootloader: Clover 4.34.0
  • NVIDIA Driver: 346.03.06f1
Check out my guide if you want to get 17.1 working :)
Just don't install 10.12.1 because Nvidia hasn't updated their drivers

Is there any advantage to running on 17,1 over 14,2? I just completed my build and all seems well, barring a few strange issues. I used 14,2 and specs are in my profile. I'm currently running 10.12.1 and while I haven't benchmarked the GTX 950, it's recognised in the System Overview and in Photoshop preferences etc. Just wondering what a change to 17,1 would achieve/unlock/enable that 14,2 won't/doesn't? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it's my first build.

Is there any advantage to running on 17,1 over 14,2? I just completed my build and all seems well, barring a few strange issues. I used 14,2 and specs are in my profile. I'm currently running 10.12.1 and while I haven't benchmarked the GTX 950, it's recognised in the System Overview and in Photoshop preferences etc. Just wondering what a change to 17,1 would achieve/unlock/enable that 14,2 won't/doesn't? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but it's my first build.
I went with 17.1 for power management because the iMac uses the same 6700k cpu. Other than that, i am sure not what other benefits it offers. This is my first build as well

Is that power management as it relates to overclocking on your 'k' chipset or just generally? I'm only using the i5 6400 so not sure how relevant it is for my build.

Is that power management as it relates to overclocking on your 'k' chipset or just generally? I'm only using the i5 6400 so not sure how relevant it is for my build.
Just generally. I might overclock the cpu in the future, but I am pretty happy with it as is right now!

I seem to be getting the black screen issue, despite my SMBIOS being set to a Mac Pro 5,1.

Is there anyway to change GFX0 to GFX1 using Clover Configurator, or by modifying the config.plist prior to installing Sierra on my Hackintosh?

Check out my guide if you want to get 17.1 working :)
Just don't install 10.12.1 because Nvidia hasn't updated their drivers
Where can I find your guide? I got a temporary solution where it only blacks out during the login screen and turns back on once logged in.

I described it here:

I
Where can I find your guide? I got a temporary solution where it only blacks out during the login screen and turns back on once logged in.

I described it here:
Had something similar if the graphics settings were injecting nvidia=1 and not the nvd_drv=1 or whatever. It seemed to me that the onboard graphics were not registering and the screen would only come on one the gpu kicked in.

Back