Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Hello,

I've installed Sierra with user definition 14,2 and everything was ok. Then I changed it to 17,1 to match my skylake system and did the "Problem 4", "Method 3" fix, rebooted and the system was ok.

The only problem I'm having is after installing some applications like Photoshop, on the next reboot the black screen comes again. I have to use the 14,2 system definition to be able to boot and then I can go back to 17,1 without any issues on future boots.

Anyone have this issue too?

Edit: seems like rebuilding the kernel cache (sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel & sudo kextcache -system-caches) allows me to boot again with 17,1. It's like the kernel cache isn't "sticking".

Last edited:
Hey shiloh,

after manually editing the info.plist to 'non' failed, I tried your patch. However Terminal returns this:

Last login: Sat Sep 24 16:18:50 on ttys000

Bebs-iMac-2:~ rossjazz$ sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext USBInjectAll.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext realtekALC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleGraphicsControl.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGraphicsDeviceControl.kext is not authentic; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use AppleGraphicsDeviceControl.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use NVDAResmanWeb.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Can't use NVDAResmanWeb.kext - not linked.

Prelink failed for com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Bebs-iMac-2:~ rossjazz$ sudo kextcache -system-caches

Unfortunately, now even in iMac 14,2 definition I completely lost the connection to the nVidia card after having run the patch ;(

Last edited:
Welcome! Faced with the same problem that occurs. Operating system macOS Sierra wants to work with the exposed iMac17,1. I use iMac13,1, but sleep does not work. How can I fix this? The third way has not helped.

Got it working using iMac17,1!
I had some trouble getting the script to run (After disabling SIP, it was still triggering the SIP check), tried to edit the .plist manually, which didn't work, and then edited the script to remove the SIP check and it all worked.

So if you're having trouble getting past the SIP check, make sure you've disabled it and then just edit the script to dodge the check.

SUCCESS!

Alright so I've been fighting with this for a little over a week. New i7-6700k system tried with a GTX960 and a GTX980Ti. In all cases it _always_ put my screen*s* to sleep during boot. I've tried all methods, 1, 2, and 3 without success.

Until. Until I only had one monitor plugged in. I'm currently running a Dell UltraSharp 27" WQHD and an LG 31" 4k monitor. With *only* the Dell plugged in it boots perfectly, I plug in the LG and all is swell. I try and boot with both monitors connected and to sleep they go.

Food for thought, got more than one monitor? Try booting with only one!

Edit: Currently Using iMac17,1 SMBIOS with fix #2

Sleep problematic on sky lake builds as far as i can read. Mine is bit temperamental. You can experiment with things like unchecking wake for ethernet, but if your a Plex user like me I think that means once your computer goes to bed its lights out for the media server until you turn it back on.

SUCCESS!

Alright so I've been fighting with this for a little over a week. New i7-6700k system tried with a GTX960 and a GTX980Ti. In all cases it _always_ put my screen*s* to sleep during boot. I've tried all methods, 1, 2, and 3 without success.

Until. Until I only had one monitor plugged in. I'm currently running a Dell UltraSharp 27" WQHD and an LG 31" 4k monitor. With *only* the Dell plugged in it boots perfectly, I plug in the LG and all is swell. I try and boot with both monitors connected and to sleep they go.

Food for thought, got more than one monitor? Try booting with only one!

Edit: Currently Using iMac17,1 SMBIOS with fix #2

I have same problem, testing with diferent display port of my 980ti, i got start with two monitors (principal DP Dell U2515H and secondary DP Dell P2414H).

2monitors.jpg

Edit: seems like rebuilding the kernel cache (sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel & sudo kextcache -system-caches) allows me to boot again with 17,1. It's like the kernel cache isn't "sticking".

I have a similar problem. I just updated to Sierra on my skylake build with system definition 17,1.

The AGDPFix worked for the next reboot, but any reboot after that and I get the monitor going into sleep mode. If I boot without the nvidia drivers and run those two commands (sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel & sudo kextcache -system-caches) the following boot will work perfectly with the nvidia drivers.

Any idea how to make this setting "stick" as you say?

Nope, and sleep also makes the screen go black. I don't know if its a problem of nVidia webdrivers, fakeSMC, Clover or what but I'm back to El Capitan on my main computer until the situation becomes stable.

Success on Sierra!!!

On my GA-Z97X-UD5H with an Intel 4790k, I managed to create a good iMac 15,1 config.plist for Clover.
My dual screen config works well on a GTX660 thanks to the v1.3 fix.

Thanks!

Back