Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Already tried everything in this thread. Doesn't work. There has to be a mistake somewhere, but I don't seem to be able to find it. I built like 20 Hackintoshes already for myself and others, and I never ran into anything like this before. I'm stumped.
I was implying that the cause of your problem might be your choice of system definition, have you tried another such as iMac14,2 ?

I was implying that the cause of your problem might be your choice of system definition, have you tried another such as iMac14,2 ?

Oh, I see. I haven't tried choosing another system definition, as I was following instructions in an other thread for my mb/cpu combo and that said to use 6,1. And I got everything working, like all USB 3.0 ports, audio, ethernet and so on (when I boot with nv_disable=1), so the system seems to work fine.

Not sure if changing to iMac 14,2 would break anything. Can you comment on that?

And I got everything working, like all USB 3.0 ports, audio, ethernet and so on (when I boot with nv_disable=1), so the system seems to work fine.

Not sure if changing to iMac 14,2 would break anything. Can you comment on that?

Everything is not working fine with nv_disable=1 because it disables the Nvidia graphics drivers.

Everything is not working fine with nv_disable=1 because it disables the Nvidia graphics drivers.

Everything IS working fine, except for the Nvidia card, obviously. What I'm saying is, the system is working, only the video card is giving me issues, and I was asking if changing the system definition could break other things.

Everything IS working fine, except for the Nvidia card, obviously. What I'm saying is, the system is working, only the video card is giving me issues, and I was asking if changing the system definition could break other things.
In the time taken so far you could have just tried it and by now you would know the answer.
Save a copy of your current config.plist and you can get back to where you are now if need be.

Last edited:
In the time taken so far you could have just tried it and by now you would know the answer.
Save a copy of your current config.plist and you can get back to where you are now if need be.

Dude, what's with the attitude? If you don't know, say you don't know. I'm not at the studio where I use this rig, so I can't try right now, otherwise I had. I appreciate you chiming in, but tone it done a little, would ya?

I'm also have this same issue with my GTX 950 running 10.12.5. No problem starting the rig as long as nv_disable=1; however, the graphics card does not seem to be recognized (stuck on 800x600 and the second monitor plugged into the HDMI does not work). When nv_disable=0, the screen goes blank during startup, but I'm able to run the rig using sharescreen from another Mac. When viewing the Hackintosh from afar, I see that the GTX 950 is recognized.

I've tried different systems definitions (MacPros, but presently 14,2), disable the BIOS on board graphics, inserted Lilu.kext and nvidiagraphicsfixup.kext into the
/Library/Extensions
/System/Library/Extensions (using kextBeast)
/efi/clover/kexts/others
directories as well as used AGDPfix to modify the AppleGraphicsControl.kext

Finally, just in case I messed up the AGDPfix, I also added a few lines in the clover config.plist to change the AppleGraphicsControl.kext as described in

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/patching-applegraphicsdevicepolicy-kext/

I attached my EFI. Would you have any other suggestions?

Attachments

• EFI archive.zip
    16.7 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:
I'm on iMac 17 system definition using Display port connection on my Asus z170i, using AGDPfix.app I'm able to hot plug a secondary display to the HDMI port, almost always works that way, however display sleep isn't working and I got weird error notification when opening all adobe apps, after removing the changes made by AGDPfix.app all adobe apps is working again, how is that possible that all adobe apps is affected?

Just wanted to mention that on the High Sierra Public Beta, using iMac17,1 I got this same black screen issue and Lilu.kext & NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext did not fix it. AGDPfix.app did the trick though!

Back