Contribute
Register

Black Screen with MacPro 6,1 or iMac 15 or iMac 17 System Definition

Using iMac17,1 and my profile config and thunderbolt passthrough I get BIOS and boot messages until I eventually fail at the black screen. I have ssh access in that state but screen sharing doesn't work.

I think I've tried most all of the solutions in this thread and some others but I may have missed/misunderstood some or combined them in strange ways.

(A) Baseline state; no extra kexts, no extra ACPI patching.
| +-o PCI0@0 <class IOACPIPlatform$
| | +-o AppleACPIPCI <class AppleA$
| | +-o pci8086,191f@0 <class IO$
| | +-o PEG0@1 <class IOPCIDevic$
| | | +-o IOPP <class IOPCI2PCIB$
| | | +-o PEGP@0 <class IOPCID$
| | | | +-o NVDAHal <class IOS$
| | | | +-o NVDAgl <class IOSe$
| | | | +-o NVDA,Display-A@0 <$

(B) I've tried only NvidiaGraphicsFixup, but then the drivers don't match and get unloaded
| | | | +-o .Display_boot <cla$

(C) I've tried only renaming PEGP to GFX1 via ACPI patching

| | | +-o GFX1@0 <class IOPCID$

B+C Device renamed; kext loaded.
| | | | | +-o NVDA <class NVDA$

I hope I'm just missing something silly any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• config-sanitzed.plist
    4.1 KB · Views: 305
Using iMac17,1 and my profile config and thunderbolt passthrough I get BIOS and boot messages until I eventually fail at the black screen. I have ssh access in that state but screen sharing doesn't work.

I think I've tried most all of the solutions in this thread and some others but I may have missed/misunderstood some or combined them in strange ways.

(A) Baseline state; no extra kexts, no extra ACPI patching.

(B) I've tried only NvidiaGraphicsFixup, but then the drivers don't match and get unloaded
| | | | +-o .Display_boot <cla$

(C) I've tried only renaming PEGP to GFX1 via ACPI patching

B+C Device renamed; kext loaded.
| | | | | +-o NVDA <class NVDA$

I hope I'm just missing something silly any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Can you boot with nv_disable=1? If not, you have another bigger issue. pastrychef confirmed that the Lilu/NvidiaFixup kexts worked for iMac17,1 with his Z170 system.

Use iMac 14,2 instead of 17,1.

I did try that it didn't seem to change anything.
I believe that I'd rather use 17,1 for the much closer match to my hardware.

Before I got around to posting this reply I got it working. I did a full rebuild to make sure I knew the exact starting state. It seems like EmuVariable wasn't storing nvda_drv in nvram on shutdown. After I added the needed XML to EFI/nvram.plist it seems to work as expected.

It also seems to persist variables now only if I have set force mount selected ESP, maybe I missed something in EmuVariable usage/setup?

Edit: Also I've set "Save NVRAM: Always"

Thanks

I did try that it didn't seem to change anything.
I believe that I'd rather use 17,1 for the much closer match to my hardware.

Before I got around to posting this reply I got it working. I did a full rebuild to make sure I knew the exact starting state. It seems like EmuVariable wasn't storing nvda_drv in nvram on shutdown. After I added the needed XML to EFI/nvram.plist it seems to work as expected.

It also seems to persist variables now only if I have set force mount selected ESP, maybe I missed something in EmuVariable usage/setup?

Edit: Also I've set "Save NVRAM: Always"

Thanks
Adding nvda_drv=1 to your boot args in the clover config will cause the web driver to load regardless of pref pane settings or if nvram is non-persistent.

I updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 today.

I'm using iMac17,1 system definition with Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. However, some of the icons in Safari were distorted with the latest Nvidia web drivers.

When I removed the Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and used ADGPfix 1.3 instead, everything returned to normal.

I updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4 today.

I'm using iMac17,1 system definition with Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext. However, some of the icons in Safari were distorted with the latest Nvidia web drivers.

When I removed the Lilu.kext + NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext and used ADGPfix 1.3 instead, everything returned to normal.

I did not notice that on my setup with iMac15,1.

Weird... The two kexts worked in 10.12.3 but caused the distorted icons in 10.12.4.

After removing the two kexts, I enabled the PikeRAlpha Clover patch so that I could see to run the ADGPfix 1.3. After running ADGPfix 1.3, I disabled the PikeRAlpha Clover patch and re-enabled the HD 530 and the icons were good again.

Weird... The two kexts worked in 10.12.3 but caused the distorted icons in 10.12.4.

After removing the two kexts, I enabled the PikeRAlpha Clover patch so that I could see to run the ADGPfix 1.3. After running ADGPfix 1.3, I disabled the PikeRAlpha Clover patch and re-enabled the HD 530 and the icons were good again.
FYI, just using the boot arg "nv_disable=1" should allow you to boot with basic graphics to perform tasks like that.

I've tried to get the Nvidia card working, but whenever I change the graphics default in my BIOS to the Nvidia card, I get a distorted (wrong resolution) clover screen, followed by a boot to the point where the screen flickers during an Intel HD graphics boot, followed by a blank screen by system control. I know the system is working because I can, without seeing the screen, log in, open the terminal, enter sudo reboot and my password, and wait. The machine proceeds to reboot. I tried both solution #1, and solution #2 with no luck. I haven't tried #3 as I don't want to disable SIP, or #4 as I'm using the iMac 17,1 definition.

I've attached my config.plist with solution #1 implemented. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• config.plist
    3.3 KB · Views: 248
Back