Motherboard
GA Z170X-Designare
CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey everyone, my first post here. I recently changed from iMac to PC/Customac. Thanks for all the information so far.

Everything works fine in Windows (in 4k), and I can run MacOS with nvidia drivers disabled. However I cannot get the Nvidia Web Drivers working, always get a black screen in middle of the Apple logo loading. The monitor is not recognized (it shows as a Projector), and the card is not recognized either.

I've combed through the forums for different solutions but frankly running out of ideas.

What I've tried (as far as I can remember :)
- Updated Clover to 2.4k
- Installed EmuVariableUefi-64 & RC Scripts
- Disabled SIP (0x67)
- Bios CMS enabled and disabled (disabled seems to work better and show correct resolution)
- Changing SMBIOS from iMac 14,2 to iMac 17,2 and back to 14,2
- Booting with and without nvidia_drv=1 & nvidia inject

- AGDPfix
- Installing NvidiaGraphicsFix & Lilu.kext with Kextbeast
- Removing NvidiaGraphicsFix and Lilu
- Adding the runtime patch to config

- Hotplugging cables
- Reinstalling Nvidia Web Drivers (378.05.05f01)
- Generating new clover config with the Configurator

Build:
GA Z170X-Designare
i5 6600k
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
LG Ultrafine 5K

Display:
I've connected Display Port from 1070 to Gigabyte's MB DP-in, USB-c cable from MB to the Ultrafine 5k.

I haven't been able to connect to the monitor directly with DP to USB-C cable, or using DP - MiniDP -> Apple Thunderbolt2 to USB-C adapter. However it works fine in bios, with nvidia disabled and in windows. The display only seems work with USB-C to USB-C.

Bios:
CSM Support: Disabled
Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
Internal Graphics: Disabled

(Also cannot get the ethernet or audio working reliably. Ethernet works only with AppleIGB kext which ends up kernel panicing after few reboots, so I cannot test the screen sharing)

Appreciate for any ideas, I might have overlooked something stupid, or if anyone has similar MB & card build, I'd be interested to know what you did. Let me now if you need more info. Attached

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.12.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.12.53 AM.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 512
  • config.plist
    4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I managed to get the ethernet working so could screenshare. Seems like the NVIDIA driver is enabled, the card is recognized but the monitor is not getting a signal.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 10.07.46.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 10.07.46.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 559
Managed get it working. The problem was bit stupid, the LG 5k didn't get signal because macOS was defaulting some non-supported or too high resolution. I managed to get it working by using SwitchResX with through the screenshare, and changing the resolution to be equal or lower than 3840x2160.

Now just need to figure out how to get the resolution higher.

Any luck perhaps with an Thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card with two DP 1.2 inputs?

Any luck perhaps with an Thunderbolt 3 Alpine Ridge card with two DP 1.2 inputs?
I'm waiting for my card to come and then I report back.

@Fl0r!an TH3 must carry more than DP1.2 (then at least DP1.3) or otherwise LG 5K over USB-C (TH3 header) would not work at 5K res even in a real Mac...

@Fl0r!an TH3 must carry more than DP1.2 (then at least DP1.3) or otherwise LG 5K over USB-C (TH3 header) would not work at 5K res even in a real Mac...
It carries two DP 1.2 streams. DP 1.3 or 1.4 is not supported. (That's also the reason why Apple has to use AMD GPUs btw).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back