Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Black screen with cursor. GT 720 Big Sur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z490-I STRIX GAMING
CPU
i5-10600K
Graphics
HD630, RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My system boots to a black screen with a cursor (No MacOS Login Screen). It used to work fine with the GTX680. I decided to swap it with a GT720.

I can move the mouse around.

I can boot into safe mode and recovery with no issue. I just dont know why I am not getting the login screen. Using latest opencore and WEG.

Anybody experience this?

Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 10.23.53 AM.png

If the GTX 680 worked in the same setup, without any changes to the config or kexts etc. then it will not be a kext or config issue, but rather a GPU connection issue you are facing.

Did you change the connection type, at the same time you changed GPU's? If yes, try swapping back to the other connection type, assuming it was a HDMI or DVI connection.

The GT 720 doesn't have a DisplayPort connector so if you were using the DP connection from the GTX 680 and are now using HDMI that might be the cause of the Black Screen in place of the Login screen.

Just for reference the preferred display connections when running macOS are as follows:
  1. DisplayPort
  2. DVI
  3. HDMI
HDMI is last in the list because it can be flaky with Black Screen issues common, as Apple don't use HDMI.

Also Apple dropped a number of old NVIDA codecs with the release of Big Sur, so maybe there is something more going on, if say you are using a shikigva boot argument for DRM streaming. This may be unrelated but might be worth a look if you do have a shikigva boot argument in your config.plist.

It turns out that after booting into safe mode. Then restarting normally fixed the issue.
Not sure why.

I read somewhere, that upgrading to 11.2.2 the system become stuck without finishing the upgrade. Some people needed to enter the username, then password (in the dark) and let the system finish upgrading.

The only I had on the screen was the mouse cursor (which I could move).

Very curious case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back